Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: unusual situation

1. Junior Member

unusual situation

Advertisements
    Here is the situation: My mom owns a home here in Lincoln where I live in the basement, her new job is taking her 100 miles away so she'd like to rent the house out but let me continue to live in the basement until I move late this summer. Its a really nice house with a huge yard, hot tub and with million dollar homes down the street. Its a really nice (snobby) neighborhood.

Here is where I need the advice: My mom offered to let my friend Brandy, her husband, their two daughters and cat (my mom hates cats and really would prefer no pets except her dog in her house) rent. Brandy had approached me about renting when I first found out about my Mom's new job. I said I didn't think she was going to rent it to anyone at that point. Yesterday my mom said she wanted to find a renter I mentioned Brandy and my mom wasn't thrilled about having a cat I talked to Brandy about it and then retalked to my mom and she said ok the the cat would be ok. I told Brandy she was super excited and then she drops the bomb she is only willing to pay $650 in rent to maintain this house in the neighborhood we live in its more like $1200 a month. My mom was willing to reduce the rent to $900 with me in the basement. I haven't said anything to Brandy because I don't want her to feel like they aren't good enough cuz they are its just $650 a month is just not enough to live in this neighborhood. I'm really afraid to hurt her feelings and so I need a really nice way to break the news to her.
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    You just have to be upfront with her. This isn't a friends situation, this is a renting situation. If she can't afford it then she has to find somewhere else to live.
    It's nothing personal - it's business.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would just let her know that the neighborhood is much too pricey to drop down any lower than what your mom is allowing. It isn't your fault if that's the nature of the area.
  4. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    You just have to be upfront with her. This isn't a friends situation, this is a renting situation. If she can't afford it then she has to find somewhere else to live.
    It's nothing personal - it's business.
    Maybe I should add she always teases me about how loaded my parents are. Yes they are well off my mom paid cash for this house. I am just afraid of sounding like a huge snob. I'm just afraid she is going to take it personally.
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by terribletm View Post
    Maybe I should add she always teases me about how loaded my parents are. Yes they are well off my mom paid cash for this house. I am just afraid of sounding like a huge snob. I'm just afraid she is going to take it personally.
    If she takes it personally then that's on her, it's not your fault. Just explain to her that they can't lower the price more than they already have. Being wealthy doesn't have anything to do with it... you need money to keep up a home & she'll need to provide that.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    If she takes it personally then that's on her, it's not your fault. Just explain to her that they can't lower the price more than they already have. Being wealthy doesn't have anything to do with it... you need money to keep up a home & she'll need to provide that.
    I agree.

How does this sound?

"My Mom was really looking forward to being able to rent to some friends of mine however we live in a neighborhood that has higher priced living the best she could do is $900 and that is reduced due to me living in the basement. A normal renter would have to pay $1200. Sorry."
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by terribletm View Post
    I agree.

How does this sound?

"My Mom was really looking forward to being able to rent to some friends of mine however we live in a neighborhood that has higher priced living the best she could do is $900 and that is reduced due to me living in the basement. A normal renter would have to pay $1200. Sorry."
    That sounds fine

8. Senior Member
    You just need to be honest. They don't sound like good people to rent to IMO, sort of like they are trying to take advantage or may cause problems down the line. $650 is enough for an apartment, not a whole house, and your friend needs to understand that.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early