Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: WWYD?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

WWYD?

Advertisements
    Alright I kind of explained this in my geobach thread, but now I need some advice.

Background:

DH is stationed in upstate NY on shore duty and I go to school in Boston. We're about 3.5 hrs from each other. I currently live on campus (on my student loans). I will continue to live on campus through the fall semester. I will then be moving down with my parents for co-op. Co-op (cooperative education) is kind of like an internship except you get paid for your work. I will be on co-op from January through the end of June. Then, I'll have to move back to Boston for classes in July.

At that point, I will not be eligible to live on campus. Thus, I'll need to get an apartment. Given how expensive it is to live in Boston (cheapest studio I've found not in the ghetto is $1750/month before utilities), I will be living somewhere just outside the city and driving in. DH and I have worked all these numbers out and it's what makes the most sense, even with gas and cost of parking at school.

I'll have to attend classes July 2013 through the end of August 2014 before I go on clinicals and can move out of my apartment to live with DH or my parents or whoever. Hoping I can find a place that'll let me live there for a couple of extra months without signing another year lease, but that's a different issue all together.

The dilemma:

DH lives off base right now. We have two cats and an apartment full of furniture. Do we suck it up, pinch every penny, and pay two rents, two sets of utilities, etc., etc. for the year-ish that I'll have to live in my own apartment before I go on clinicals? Or should he geobach and I'll take the cats and as much furniture as I can (put the rest in storage) for that year? Remembering all along the added hassle of moving his stuff AGAIN.

I'm really stuck here. I truly am not sure what is best for us. Plus, the thought of him giving up his place to basically live in a dorm makes me feel guilty.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Well, you don't know for sure if he can live in the dorms/barracks, they may not have availability or allow it. Plus, if he is able to live on base, he could easily get kicked out to make room for a 'more qualified' person.

Since there is no such thing as geobaching (not technically anyway), I would just suck it all up and pinch pennies as much as possible.

I would continue to look for cheap places to live (even if it is someone's basement). Or, see if he can find a cheaper place to live.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    Has he asked if he’s allowed to live in the barracks? While there are a few exceptions most Navy bases no longer have geo-bach quarters. If he’s allowed to stay in the barracks he will probably have to pay and depending on availability it will only be Space A. He may have to move in and out of a room.

When we did geo-bach there was a period of a couple months when dh’s ship was under repair and he was unable to live onboard. He went between the BQ and a friend’s house. The BQ room was $210/wk. ($30/nt)
  4. The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    Blog Entries
    Well I'll let u know what we r doing. Right now we both have our own places. When he leaves in September I'll take as much as I can and them the rest will go in storage. Ik our situations are different but just thought I would let u know. Hope everything works out hun!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

everyone