Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing frustrations

1. Senior Member

Housing frustrations

Advertisements
    Well, crap. We are PCSing to Bangor, Washington next month. Housing contacted us yesterday to let us know we only qualify for a 2 bedroom place. That really doesn't work for us since DH has a 7 year old son who lives in Washington, who will be visiting us every other weekend (housing knows about this and told us "that's not our problem." . Plus we have our 9 month old daughter (and we want at least one more kid while we are stationed there). It could work as a very temporary situation, but not long term. We have a queen size spare bed, Step sons toys, and our little "office" that basically wouldn't fit into the 2 bedroom base housing.

We are interested in buying a home, but I have no clue how long that process will take or when DH will deploy. I guess we will know his deployment schedule after he checks in, in the middle of July. I could probably get a POA to finalize the home buying process without him...but I really want him to help pick it out.

We found a 3 bedroom apartment that looks alright, but it already has a washer and dryer, so ours would have to get stored somewhere (they are kind of expensive front loaders that I don't want to just sell). I think my dad would let me keep them in his garage.

Lastly, I have 3 different family situations who are willing to let us couch surf until we get housing figured out...so, we don't HAVE to commit to base housing or an apartment immediately if we don't want to. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm so stressed.

Part of me thinks just temporarily live in base housing and let my step son sleep on the couch...and the other part of me thinks we should hit the ground running with the home buying situation and see if we can't find something rather than get ourselves tied down into an apartment/housing lease.

What would you do? This whole thing is seriously making me feel sick to my stomach. Until yesterday, base housing had told us we would qualify for a 3 bedroom place, which would have been perfect. 2 bedroom doesn't seem doable, at all (we are currently living in a 3 bedroom place here in Charleston).
  2. Senior Member
    I would just find someplace to live out in town. I'm sure you can find an apartment that will rent to you with a short lease.
  3. Senior Member
    If his son is on his page 2 and the custody papers say every other weekend then housing has to give you a room for him to live in. Its something about if the child is with the parent 50% of the time they have to. I had a friend who has the same issue and they were given a room for the child and their child together. I would ask to speak to someone else in the office.

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    If his son is on his page 2 and the custody papers say every other weekend then housing has to give you a room for him to live in. Its something about if the child is with the parent 50% of the time they have to. I had a friend who has the same issue and they were given a room for the child and their child together. I would ask to speak to someone else in the office.
    This isn't always true.
    I have a friend who has a child from a previous marriage. The child is with her 75% of the year, but the father claims her for everything. Her new husband and her have 2 other kids, so in total for 75% of the year they have 3 children, but they only qualified for a 3 bedroom.

Another friend has a daughter from a previous marriage. He sees her about 2 months out of the year, he claims her on his page 2, but she lives with her mother. He and his new family (wife and another child) only qualified for a 2 bedroom.

Sorry OP, but that's how it works. I would go for the 3 bedroom place off base. Even if you had another child, only if they were opposite sex would you qualify for a 3 bedroom. Same sex children less than 5 years apart get one total room (they share).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    I'd either live on post, or try to find a rental with a short term lease. I'm sure you know, but you want to take your time when buying a house to make sure you find what you're looking for! I know it sucks though, I'm sorry!
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Okay so what we did was we moved here to WA and got a 3br apartment with a short term lease. (Some have 3,6,9 and 12mon leases.) That will allow you to get a feel for the areas, find out which ones you like, don't like and give you time to go through buying a house without being rushed. We are buying a house right now and started looking at the end of last month and it has taken a bit with bumps in the road so you want enough to do all of this. SO i would either stay with family/friends OR get a short term apartment and then start looking to buy.

ETA- we have all our stuff here and the apartments supply washer/dryers but they also have a storage place here that you can rent out. Maybe see if you can do that .. it doesnt cost us very much to do it.
  7. Senior Member

If you find a place with a washer and dryer and you have your own you can always ask if they can remove it.

I am so nervous for people that purchase homes at their duty station...especially because you never know how long you are going to be there and then you have
    to sell it and we all know how the market is right now.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ask if the apartments if they can take out their appliances. They might be more than willing to do that since people move in and out of apartments often.
    I thought with military orders you can break a contract at any time?
  9. Senior Member
    You can break a lease if you are PCS-ing, not just because you bought a house and want out early. I know if we want to break the lease at my current apartment complex they want to see a copy of the orders.