Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice stay at home wife

1. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth

Advice stay at home wife

Advertisements
    Ever since I was a little girl I always dreamed of growing up, getting married, and having a big family {I'm talking 5 to 6 kids}. I've never been very career motivated and I find that I'm most happy when I'm taking care of the home. My husband understands how I feel and has no issue with me being a stay at home wife as long as it's financially doable. I'm finding that a lot of people don't understand how I can be completely fulfilled and they continue to push their feelings onto me. I don't expect everyone to understand my choices, but I'm the type of person that accepts what others do as long as it isn't hurting anyone and I find it really hard to be polite to someone who is demeaning me based on the fact that I love being a stay at home wife. I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on things I could say to people who make rude comments about my being a stay at home wife that are polite yet still get the point across that this is a decision I make because it's what makes me happy? I'd really appreciate the advice as it's getting more in more frustrating as time goes on.
  2. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    I would just say "Mind your own business"

Honestly LOL..

MIL has issues with me being a SAHM and people think I should put my kids in daycare. It is not what my husband or I want.

My husband is 100% thinking he should care for the family and I should raise the kids.

I love how things are. He does what he needs to take care of us.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  3. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

You are doing what makes YOU happy. You don't need to please these other people. Just remember that you can't please everyone, and you don't need to.

Simply explain that you are happy with your life and what you are doing. No further explaination needed.

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    A SAHW is something people find hard to grasp or understand.

I sometimes don't get it, I mean why stay home all day and do nothing but clean when you could be working. But that's my own issue and I wouldn't ever say anything to someone else who likes doing that kind of thing. It doesn't work for me, but who am I to judge?

The only time I would make any comments is if that SAHW was complaining about being bored or not having money.

As far as what to do. Just simply say its what you and your husband want and its no one else's business.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Just simply say, saying home makes me happy.

I am 32 years old and have never had a job, never plan on getting one. Staying home as a wife and mother was always my main want. Some people don't understand this with me, but really i don't care. It works for us, and that is that.

6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

It's not about what you have to do to convince someone else to understand. Who cares if they understand? It's not their lives, and not their business. There will always be someone who disagrees with your decisions, and you have to find a way to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and just live your life for YOU. You will be much happier for it!

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If someone says something rude to you, simply say "Well that was rude" and give them a blank stare.
  8. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    A SAHW is something people find hard to grasp or understand.

I sometimes don't get it, I mean why stay home all day and do nothing but clean when you could be working. But that's my own issue and I wouldn't ever say anything to someone else who likes doing that kind of thing. It doesn't work for me, but who am I to judge?

The only time I would make any comments is if that SAHW was complaining about being bored or not having money.

As far as what to do. Just simply say its what you and your husband want and its no one else's business.
    I definitely realize it's hard to gasp, but I love staying at home. I love doing my volunteer work and being able to cover for other hospital volunteers when they suddenly can't make it. I've worked in the past and it just didn't fulfill me the way that this does.

That I could completely understand! But I don't get bored and I don't complain about not having money.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely just going to let it stop bothering me that other people can't understand and continue to go on about my business.
  9. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    If someone says something rude to you, simply say "Well that was rude" and give them a blank stare.
    Lol I'll definitely have to try this! I'm sure people won't expect something so straight forward... especially from me.
  10. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast