Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I guess I am driving her to AIT?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help So I guess I am driving her to AIT?

Advertisements
    So i got a letter from the SO today...and she started slamming me witha bazillion questions about when i was coming up for her graduation, where I was staying, how i was getting there, and etc. etc. etc.
    then she asked,"...and are you driving me to AIT?"

I mean, I was already a little upset because half of her previous questions I had already answered in another letter
    But, at the same time, I had never really thought about driving her to AIT because I never thought I could get the time off of work, AND I had originally planned to fly because an 11-hour drive does not sound fun in the least

*sighs*...but I discussed it with my managers at work, and I have decided that if they do not approve my personal leave of absence that I could always use my medical waivers to drive her to her next base. That and it would give me a chance to spend more time with my baby

So...now to the advice part.
    I have NEVER driven outside of the state on my own before. Let alone 11 hours.
    So can people give me some advice on how to plan for this trip?!?
    I mean, I already started planning some things, but getting some different perspectives never hurt.

Thanks in advance!!!

[[EDIT]]: For those who would asked about the medical waiver, I was pinned between two cars about a week ago while 'NOT' in a vehicle. If I used a medical waiver it would be to fix my thigh which was really badly hurt.
    Also, for those who mentioned my vacation time and personal leave. Both things accumulate every paycheck I receive. So I never truly run out, I just don't have huge chunks at a time. I'm still allowed to miss work without personal and/or vacation time, it would just be an unpaid absence.
    So either way I am still in the green. Sorry about the confusion.
    Last edited by Element02; 05-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    "Love is just a chemical, we give it meaning by choice"---Eleanor Lamb (Bioshock2)
    " I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything. Maybe we're from the same star." ---Emery Allen
  2. Senior Member
    Use a GPS, print out directions from Map Quest or Google Maps, make sure your car is in good working order, fill it up with gas, pack some snacks, and hit the road. Other than knowing where my final destination is, and deciding on any stops I want to make along the way, I don't really plan for such a short trip.

11 hours isn't bad at all.
  3. Senior Member
    Before you make any concrete plans, make sure you're allowed to. At my husband's graduation they seafood only immediate family could sign soldiers out and only if their AIT was within 350 miles of where they went to basic.
  4. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Her travel is set up through the military, and I wouldn't be so fast to use up all your vacation time/sick time. What happens if there is a real emergency or YOU reed it? Not worth losing your job over it.

I would gently explain that you do not wish to drive, by yourself, the 11 hour drive and that you're not able to get all that time off from your job. I wholeheartedly understand wanting to be together BUT logically it makes no sense.
  5. Senior Member
    How will you use medical waivers in order to go see her? I don't understand that part.

It's okay to say "no" to her if you don't want to drive. Let her know you want to see her, but that it isn't going to work, and she should respect that. If she loves you, you won't want you to risk your employment.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Honestly, if you aren't comfortable driving 11 hours by yourself, don't. I asked my mom to come with me for DH's graduation so I didn't have to drive by myself. If you know anybody who wants a little mini vaca, ask them if they want to tag along (of course with them being aware that the two of you will want alone time.) so on the way back home, alone, you are more comfortable.

I, personally, would never drive more than like 6 hours by myself, but I can't drive longer than that without wanting to fall asleep behind the wheel

be cool.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh, Baby♥ View Post
    I, personally, would never drive more than like 6 hours by myself, but I can't drive longer than that without wanting to fall asleep behind the wheel
    You aren't the only one, I feel that way too.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    Her travel is set up through the military, and I wouldn't be so fast to use up all your vacation time/sick time. What happens if there is a real emergency or YOU reed it? Not worth losing your job over it.

I would gently explain that you do not wish to drive, by yourself, the 11 hour drive and that you're not able to get all that time off from your job. I wholeheartedly understand wanting to be together BUT logically it makes no sense.
    i agree with jayo
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post

Agree, the military usually sets this up because they have only so much time to get from grad to AIT.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I edited the conversation because I guess there were things I did not explain very well.
    "Love is just a chemical, we give it meaning by choice"---Eleanor Lamb (Bioshock2)
    " I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything. Maybe we're from the same star." ---Emery Allen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast