Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My relationship with God

1. Senior Member

My relationship with God

Advertisements
    Now, I understand this a personal matter and "no one can tell me how I feel" blah blah, I just really want some opinions.

I feel the more I think about the world, the farther I go from my chosen religion and God. I am debating more and more an actual existence of Him. I use to be an atheist when I was young, and then "one day I knew he was there" but I don't really have that feeling anymore.

I don't believe in any of the sins in the bible, besides perhaps, murder. I don't believe homosexuality or getting an abortion is a sin. I believe in Evolution and not creationism. I seriously question the fact that if there is a God, why is the world like it is?

I'm Catholic, and since baptism at 17 I followed it closely. DH is Lutheran, and I always thought we both wanted to raise our children in a church. He still does, and I don't know what to think. I don't know what to do.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm Catholic as well and have been my whole life. Although my faith fluctuates. I get frustrated with all the bad in the world too but I blame it on the fact that humans have free will. God does not cause harm. People do that. I'm kind of wavering in my faith as well so if you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to PM me
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    The church that I work at has this in their Belief System: "Our people have the undisturbed right to interpret the Bible according to their conscience." I love that. You can still follow god and have a relationship with him but not follow the bible word for word.

People do, and if that makes THEM closer to god, great! But I think anyone can have a relationship with god and it's all how YOU see it.

I don't have much advice on other stuff but that's my bible point of view.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    The church that I work at has this in their Belief System: "Our people have the undisturbed right to interpret the Bible according to their conscience." I love that. You can still follow god and have a relationship with him but not follow the bible word for word.

People do, and if that makes THEM closer to god, great! But I think anyone can have a relationship with god and it's all how YOU see it.

I really really like that. Thank you!

5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I know this is usually considered taboo to say but...

I am Atheist and I gotta say, if you are doubting your faith maybe there is a reason for that. It's okay to not believe. IMO, losing your faith doesn't mean there is something wrong with you, it could simply mean you just don't believe it. Maybe that isn't something that you need to fix, maybe that is what's right.

You will get a lot of encouragement to continue to pursue your religious beliefs and find a way to make it work and believe again, which is fine if that is what you want. But, if that isn't what you want, I just want you to know that it's okay to not believe. Letting go of that pursuit to consolidate belief in a higher power I just didn't agree with at all with my own logic was the best thing I ever did for myself. Being Atheist has brought me more purpose, and substance, and fulfillment that religion ever did. I am more at peace.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you find whatever belief system you need to make YOU feel whole.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post

I like this too. I find myself struggling with what is right or wrong according to the Bible. But overall, my belief in God and my overall opinion on him has not changed at all. People interpret the Bible differently, and for some, that causes them to question God, when really, I think they just question the ways his words are written. I don't know
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    What a boring world it would be if everyone believed in the saaaame exact thing and acted in the saaaame exact way.

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    I know this is usually considered taboo to say but...

I am Atheist and I gotta say, if you are doubting your faith maybe there is a reason for that. It's okay to not believe. IMO, losing your faith doesn't mean there is something wrong with you, it could simply mean you just don't believe it. Maybe that isn't something that you need to fix, maybe that is what's right.

You will get a lot of encouragement to continue to pursue your religious beliefs and find a way to make it work and believe again, which is fine if that is what you want. But, if that isn't what you want, I just want you to know that it's okay to not believe. Letting go of that pursuit to consolidate belief in a higher power I just didn't agree with at all with my own logic was the best thing I ever did for myself. Being Atheist has brought me more purpose, and substance, and fulfillment that religion ever did. I am more at peace.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you find whatever belief system you need to make YOU feel whole.
    Thank you. I was hoping someone from the other side of the coin so to speak, would say something to me. I guess I'm worried because before I found religion, I felt lost but I think that may have just been the fact that I was 16/17 and was a lost teenager because I didn't know what I was going to do with me life.

I think I'm partly afraid of what DH would say, or his family.

9. Senior Member
    Even as a Southern Baptist and a Preachers daughter i still have days where i ask why and want to know how he can be up there letting everything happen.

i think the best thing anyone every said to me was when they explained to me that i am not going to understand everything until i get there. may brain can not understand His works in full, i just have to have faith (believing without seeing) . I do look forward to getting to Heaven and understanding everything one day i have a lot of questions i would like answered.

i hope you find comfort in whatever way to choose
  10. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I'm Baptist. I was baptised when I was 20. I strongly believe in God and the miracles he performs.

Those who know me personally would be surprised how religious I actually am. I'm not an outgoing religious person like some people can be. My relationship with God is very private. Once in a blue moon I'll post something on facebook about religion and my friends are surprised by it.

I personnaly don't believe that you have to conform to one set religion or the beliefes of the church. If you believe in God and you have a relationship with him and feel that he is in your life guiding you, that is all that one needs. (this is all my personal opinion and how *I* view my religious beliefs) Relationships with God (or whomever it is that you worship/follow) can be private with you (or your family)

I stopped going to church. I pick up my bible and skim through it when I feel like I need extra guidance, or say a prayer and talk with God. I feel that some churches have gotten off the path and do their own thing now a days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast