Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do? Small novel in regards to Roommates/Moving

1. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

What to do? Small novel in regards to Roommates/Moving

Advertisements
    Let me preface this by saying that DF has lived in this house since January of 2011. The house was originally rented by roommate #1, J. Then Chris moved in in January. The next roommate moved in in late May, He's A.

He and I share one room that connects to an attic. Technically I do not live here, my name is not on the lease. I am here, however, almost every day/night. So is A's girlfriend who dropped out of college to come back and be with A.

Anyway, back to the vent. I'm not even sure what I should do in this case. DF has become increasingly unhappy living here.

Between the two of us, we are the only two who pay for any of the cleaning supplies. We've bought every paper-towel, toilet paper and trash bag used in this house since January that I know of.

We buy groceries and they get eaten by A and his girlfriend. We have said multiple times that we don't care if they need something while cooking, just ask us first. They never ever do. For example, I had a packet of chicken breasts in the fridge today that I planned on making for dinner. They used them without even asking and didn't replace them. They never replace what they use.

DF and I are also the only two that clean. J keeps the garage clean and will clean up after himself but A and his girlfriend do not. Up untill A moved in, the rule was that dishes can be left in the sink for up to 24 hours then please clean them up. They pile dishes in the sink and leave them for us to clean up. Everyone uses the upstairs bathroom and downstairs bathroom (just not the shower in each, DF and I use the upstairs one, everyone else uses downstairs) and somehow DF and I are the only two that clean either. We typically don't clean the downstairs one since the three of those use it and we only do in emergency but when my mom comes in and tells me to clean that bathroom because there is mold.....yeah we have to clean it too.

A also will take people's clothes out of the dryer and throw them on the floor if he wants the dryer. There is always room on top of the dryer for them and 9/10 times....the owner's basket is right there!

Anyway, point of rant. I don't know if we should start to look for an apartment or house of our own. It wouldn't be until September since that's when DF's lease ends. We also right now only pay about 500 per month with all utilities and bills included in that.

Any advice or suggestions before DF looses his mind and therefore takes mine with him?
  2. Senior Member
    I would move. I would also bitch everyone out to no end.

How much would it cost to end the lease early?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I would move. I would also bitch everyone out to no end.

How much would it cost to end the lease early?
    We have no idea, plus we can suck it up until September. We've already decided that.
  4. Regular Member
    Here's what I would do. First quit being their mom and let them wallow in their own filth. Don't wash their dishes, just wash what you need to use then leave them in the sink. Quit buying food for the house. You might as well just eat out every night cause you're already paying for twice as much food anyway so you prolly wouldn't even feel the cost. Keep all of the paper products that you buy locked in your room. Just bring what you need to the kitchen or bathroom then take it back to your room. All this sounds petty, but you're living with leeches and you're enabling their pathetic behavior. It's not going to change unless you force the issue. I'd also leave the a-hole roommate with the bill for the security deposit and tell them it's the bill for your maid service. I'm sure you'd absolutely lose the deposit with my plan.

As far as you're Mom telling you that you need to clean your bathroom....I figure you're an adult.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyandJune View Post
    Here's what I would do. First quit being their mom and let them wallow in their own filth. Don't wash their dishes, just wash what you need to use then leave them in the sink. Quit buying food for the house. You might as well just eat out every night cause you're already paying for twice as much food anyway so you prolly wouldn't even feel the cost. Keep all of the paper products that you buy locked in your room. Just bring what you need to the kitchen or bathroom then take it back to your room. All this sounds petty, but you're living with leeches and you're enabling their pathetic behavior. It's not going to change unless you force the issue. I'd also leave the a-hole roommate with the bill for the security deposit and tell them it's the bill for your maid service. I'm sure you'd absolutely lose the deposit with my plan.

As far as you're Mom telling you that you need to clean your bathroom....I figure you're an adult.
    the only problem with this plan is that some people just don't care about filth. Bugs will start to gather in the sink, the garbage will overflow, mold will overtake the bathroom, the house will just plain old start to smell, etc.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

Sadly, we tried this. We didn't clean up at all. It was hell for the week that we managed that. Neither of us are "clean-freaks" but we don't enjoy living in a dirty house at all. We won't leave the dishes in the sink because we care about our belongings. 90% of the stuff in the kitchen belongs to either DF or myself.
    As for my mom, she's my mom. I figure that she wouldn't tell me if it wasn't really necessary.

the only problem with this plan is that some people just don't care about filth. Bugs will start to gather in the sink, the garbage will overflow, mold will overtake the bathroom, the house will just plain old start to smell, etc.
    Literally, that is what happened in the week we did nothing. J was deployed so he wasn't there to clean or take out the trash. When we couldn't cook because nothing was clean in the kitchen, the trash was overflowing as well as the recycling and even our bathroom was trashed, we finally couldn't take it and cleaned.
  7. Regular Member
    Oh I absolutely agree! It would get gross. But for me personally I would live like an animal for a bit to teach people a lesson. I'd imagine one time having to wipe their butt with their hand due to no tp then realizing they had no soap cause they're too cheap or lazy could be a life changing experience.
  8. Senior Member
    Oh I absolutely agree! It would get gross. But for me personally I would live like an animal for a bit to teach people a lesson. I'd imagine one time having to wipe their butt with their hand due to no tp then realizing they had no soap cause they're too cheap or lazy could be a life changing experience.
    I've seen it tried and failed before. A week will go by, two weeks, three, and the offending people will barely even notice. Or they'll complain about it being so dirty. Some people really just don't learn.
  9. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    If it wasn't our belongings the ones that would be ruined by doing this....we would.

I've seen it tried and failed before. A week will go by, two weeks, three, and the offending people will barely even notice. Or they'll complain about it being so dirty. Some people really just don't learn.
    They complain about it being so dirty and tell us that "We should do our dishes"....ummm those are yours only.
  10. Senior Member
    Have you ever tried just taking all of the main pots and pans, and dishes, into your DF's room and locking them in there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast