Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A tough decision :/

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

A tough decision :/

Advertisements
    My DB is not currently in the navy yet, but after meeting with a recruiter today he has decided that that is what he wants to do. Ever since he was younger he always wanted to be in the military and he's excited about being able to fulfill his dream. And, I won't lie, I was not happy or thrilled about his decision, but overtime I've slowly learned to accept it because the last thing I want would be to keep him from doing what he's wanted for a long time.

Anyway, he told me today that he wants to do one year of active before ROTC and said that I would have the opportunity to go with him. I was very excited to hear that, but then I realized what kind of an impact it would have on my life. I'm a senior in high school, he is as well, and going to be graduating in June. I have applied and got accepted into a fairly good college here, but I haven't committed yet.

I guess what I'm caught between is that I really want to be with him and travel, but at the same time I would have to work out my schooling another way and I would have to leave my family (to which I am very close to)...

I need some advice, please ladies
  2. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    My DH was enlisted well before I ever met him AND even if he wasn't I still would have supported his decision because I love him and this is what he wants. And marriages are about supporting each other.

As far as school goes, you can go to school anywhere now. I had to transfer schools 3 times because of being married to DH when we moved.

I am also very close to my family. My parents and inlaws mean the world to me! It actually didn't hit me that I was leaving home until my wedding day. My parents and his parents know that we love them. They also understand that this is what we both want. I visit home A LOT! And like I said, I really LOVE him and that meant following him anywhere the military would take us. It will be hard, I will not lie. But if you truly believe your love will stand the test of time, then you will be making the right decision.
    Still just as much in love with you as the day we wed

usabug7 is my wifey
  3. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Are you moving as a GF or a wife? I don't recommend giving up your school plans to follow him around as a girlfriend. You are young and you need to finish your schooling. Focus on that while he gets himself sorted in his career.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  4. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Stay and go to the college that you want to. If the relationship is meant to be, distance won't matter!

5. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I know you probably love him a lot and hate the idea of being apart, but honestly, I think you should stay and pursue an education.

The military is unpredictable. Go to college and get an education, that is the one thing no one can take away from you. And you'll only be what 21, 22 when you graduate? That's still so young! It's tempting to rush things to be together, but it's important to think about what's going to make you happy 10 years from now. You have the rest of your life to travel with him.
  6. Books are my ink and paper friends.
    Books are my ink and paper friends.
    Where would he be doing ROTC? The only reason I ask is because if he's going to school somewhere not far from your home (like within two hours) after one year, he would be back in your area again. One year of long distance isn't bad at all, plus you'd have your family to support you. In the end, it's all about what YOU want. If you want to go to college, go to college. If you want to follow him, follow. It's your choice and you're free to make it - but be prepared to stick to your guns.

My two cents is to try the long distance thing and go to college - being apart doesn't mean the relationship has to end. That's what DB and I did when I went off to school twelve hours from home. It's hard, but definitely worth it. Plus, it lets us both grow separately as people and together as a couple. But again, do what's best for you! I wish you best of luck

(Also, fun fact, my DB signs with AROTC Thursday, so I know how you feel!)
    IHaveHisHeart is my sexy twin and wifey

7. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Stay and go to school

8. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    I know everyone is telling you to go to school. If I would have chose to keep living at home and going to school, I know that DH and I would not be together now. I followed my heart and was able to go to school as well. I knew that I really loved him and was willing to do anything just to be with him all the time, which meant marrying him. I was young too, 20 when we met. I also married DH before moving where he was. That being said, you need to do what is best for YOU and what you feel is right.
    Still just as much in love with you as the day we wed

usabug7 is my wifey
  9. Senior Member
    Go to school, JMO. Getting your degree now, right out of high school, is much easier. Not sure when he is planning on enlisting, but you probably will not be settled and moved with him by Fall semester. Get your education, no one can take that away from you.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  10. Senior Member
    Anyway, he told me today that he wants to do one year of active before ROTC and said that I would have the opportunity to go with him.
    Can you explain how this will work? It sounds like he *may be being fed a load of BS. Does he have an ROTC scholarship already?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast