Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting married overseas

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Getting married overseas

Advertisements

Hey! I need help... My fiancee is currently stationed at RAF Lakenheath. We had planned on getting married in the fall while he was on leave. However, we just found out he will likely be getting deployed in October. Our new plan is to have me come there (since he can't get leave sooner) and get married while I am there. That way, we can start the paperwork on me getting command sponsored. But, we have no idea how to go about getting a marriage license. All the information I find is only about him marrying a non-US citizen... Help...please!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklinggrey View Post
    Hey! I need help... My fiancee is currently stationed at RAF Lakenheath. We had planned on getting married in the fall while he was on leave. However, we just found out he will likely be getting deployed in October. Our new plan is to have me come there (since he can't get leave sooner) and get married while I am there. That way, we can start the paperwork on me getting command sponsored. But, we have no idea how to go about getting a marriage license. All the information I find is only about him marrying a non-US citizen... Help...please!!
    Because policies on marriage licenses vary not only state to state, but county to county... I think your best bet is going to be to call the county clerks office of the county you would be applying to get your marriage license in... The issue you are going to run into is not so much that you want to do the ceremony overseas, but that he will not be with you in the states to apply for the marriage license. You may need to have him grant you POA to do this, which again you would need to contact the specific county and find out what they require.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

First welcome, Please introduce yourself in the newbies section and read the stickies when you get the chance.

2nd He can go to legal onbase and they will give him all the information there. It will depend on if you plan on getting married at the courthouse offbase or in the chapel onbase. If it's the chapel, it usually takes longer because the pastor likes you to do marriage counseling first.

Goodluck.

4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    He should check with base legal. They can probably do it there.

Make sure to go introduce yourself in the Newbie section.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Best bet is Legal office.

Command sponsorship isn't an automatic thing though. If his tour is a short one, they might not authorize it. Also, you can only live in country for something like 90 days and then you have to leave without the Sofa.

Good luck.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    Agreed. Base legal is probably your best bet to find out said info.
    Still just as much in love with you as the day we wed

usabug7 is my wifey
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Best bet is Legal office.

Command sponsorship isn't an automatic thing though. If his tour is a short one, they might not authorize it. Also, you can only live in country for something like 90 days and then you have to leave without the Sofa.

Good luck.
    ditto...the whole sponsorship can go well past the 90 days you are there, and they send you back until (and if) you are okay to go back. Ours took over six months to get sponsorsed just to come to Hawaii.
  8. Senior Member

Hmmm...with him deploying in October, will he have enough time to get your paperwork straightened out before he leaves? Turning in information to DEERS, getting your I.D. card, SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) card, and housing? Would it be possible for you two to get married earlier than planned? Let's say around the summer? I know you mentioned that he can't leave to come to the States before then, but can you fly out there sooner? At least, if you can head out there sooner, you both will have more time to get your paper work done for you to be in the military system and him to have command sponsorship.

Also, have him go to the Legal office if his chain of command cannot help him. I do know that there is a waiting period in England prior to giving a notice for marriage and it applies to everyone, including visitors. Also, double check that you have all the required documents needed for you to begin marriage. Although there are rules for marrying in the military, you and your DF will also have to comply with the local English laws on marriage, which may include additional paper work, certificates, and other processes.

Here's a link to Lakenheath's info on marriage:
    http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/shared/...110310-020.pdf

I know it mentions the non-EU members or foreign fiances, but the information is pretty helpful to get your started on the process. Also, you can contact RAF Lakenheath's chapel directly if you have more questions. Hopefully, that helps you out and you can be with your DF soon!

Good luck, hun!