Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice.

:)
    Blog Entries

Need advice.

Advertisements
    I hope this is the right spot.

For 2 days a debt collector has called me about a bill from June 2010. I don't remember ever getting a bill. I don't remember ever getting one from the collection agency either. Well I told her that DH is deployed and I would have to talk to him about making payment. My bill is $400 dollars and I didn't want it going on my credit so I wanted to do payments. $50 a month sounded good to me but this lady seems to pushy. She wants my credit card info or check over the phone. She said I can't send a money order but I don't feel comfortable giving that info out over the phone. DH's SGT told me not to do it that he wouldn't do it either. Am I wrong for wanting to send a money order? If she calls tomorrow should I tell her to send me proof of my bill and that they either take payments the way I say or not at all. I don't know what to do. I will take responsibility for my bill if I have one (I think I had Medicaid at the time she is referring to though). She just seems way to pushy and I don't have a good feeling about this

What would you do?

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Do not agree to pay anything or make any payment until they have validated the debt in writing - that is exactly what you tell them you require, "Validate this debt in writing". Also, if/when you DO make payment, do not agree to auto-draft from your account as collection agencies are notorious for taking more than authorized (ie making an agreement to settle the debt for *x* amount and then withdrawing the actual debt amount instead, taking all the payment at once instead of over time as agreed, etc) - send the payment by money order or certified/cashier's check.
  3. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    You can definitely pay via money order. about the rest, good luck!
  4. Senior Member
    Don't give then any info! Make her prove the debt before you do anything. This is a pretty common scam.
  5. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    I hope this is the right spot.

For 2 days a debt collector has called me about a bill from June 2010. I don't remember ever getting a bill. I don't remember ever getting one from the collection agency either. Well I told her that DH is deployed and I would have to talk to him about making payment. My bill is $400 dollars and I didn't want it going on my credit so I wanted to do payments. $50 a month sounded good to me but this lady seems to pushy. She wants my credit card info or check over the phone. She said I can't send a money order but I don't feel comfortable giving that info out over the phone. DH's SGT told me not to do it that he wouldn't do it either. Am I wrong for wanting to send a money order? If she calls tomorrow should I tell her to send me proof of my bill and that they either take payments the way I say or not at all. I don't know what to do. I will take responsibility for my bill if I have one (I think I had Medicaid at the time she is referring to though). She just seems way to pushy and I don't have a good feeling about this

What would you do?
    Good idea. I agree with the SGT as well though. Good luck!
    Still just as much in love with you as the day we wed

usabug7 is my wifey
    :)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Do not agree to pay anything or make any payment until they have validated the debt in writing - that is exactly what you tell them you require, "Validate this debt in writing". Also, if/when you DO make payment, do not agree to auto-draft from your account as collection agencies are notorious for taking more than authorized (ie making an agreement to settle the debt for *x* amount and then withdrawing the actual debt amount instead, taking all the payment at once instead of over time as agreed, etc) - send the payment by money order or certified/cashier's check.
    I am a shy person and have already agreed to pay (i just wanted to get off the phone) but when/if she calls today I am gonna tell her what you said. I am also gonna call the hospital to make sure I have a bill. Like I said I don't remember ever getting a bill. I took YDD to the ER at the beginning of the month and we got 2 bills for her (they used our old Medicaid instead of our Tricare ). I would remember getting getting 2 bills. If I do have a bill...I want to pay it because I don't want it on my credit but she said if I didn't give her my credit card number that they wouldn't be able to hold it from going on my credit. I will still refuse to give it to her though. We will see what happens!

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  7. Regular Member
    Never give someone on the phone information like that without validating they are who they say that are. That is an easy scam to pull off, esp since you don't remember a bill. They should have mailed you a letter before they contacted you on the phone. You agreed to pay but you need to make sure they are legitimate before you do that. That's my concern.

Also, If she makes you feel uncomfortable ask to speak to someone else.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I agree with the others, don't send her anything until you get proof of debt. Don't give her any credit card or check info over the phone either. All valid debt collection agencies will allow you to pay however you want (except cash) and WILL send you a bill or a statement showing what the charge was for, or at the least, where the charge originated from. They won't have details as to what the charges are, just an amount and the place it came from.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Banned
    Banned
    tell them to send you a bill, but do not say anything else about paying it even if she asks- tell her you will "not comment about the bill until I have proof the bill is legitamate, do you have my correct address? please verify the address on file". and then tell her that another phone call before 10 business days is considered harassment in every state and that you will report the company for harrassment if the company calls again before the 10 days are up.
    and then just hang up. do not let her tell you anything other than your address and that they will send a statement or bill.
  10. Senior Member
    I would force them to send me a bill in the mail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast