Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: No support from base

1. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)

No support from base

Advertisements
    Hello everyone
    I am new at this and this is my first thread.
    My husband was recently deployed for quite a while. During his deployment, I found NO support from the base that we are stationed at. This made me wonder if other spouses have had no support from the military installation they are stationed at? I'm curious if this is a common thing or if it just happens once in a while. I am hoping for once in a while.
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Hello everyone
    I am new at this and this is my first thread.
    My husband was recently deployed for quite a while. During his deployment, I found NO support from the base that we are stationed at. This made me wonder if other spouses have had no support from the military installation they are stationed at? I'm curious of this is a common thing or if it just happens once in a while. I am hoping for once in a while.
    First of all, welcome to MSOS! Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the newbie section of our boards.

Secondly, I'm sorry that you didn't get support from the base your dh is attached to! Has his squadron been in contact with you at all or a key spouse? You can always contact your dh's first sgt and ask to be put in touch with the key spouse from the squadron. They generally get emails and forward them from the AFRC and other agencies around base to help with deployments and opportunities to get involved.

I'm a key spouse for dh's SQ and it makes me sad when SQ don't keep up with spouses (and SO's) of their deployed folks.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

I've never had the problem

What kind of support are you looking for? Have you tried contacting Fleet & Family Support or the FRG?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    when my husband deployed a lady contacted me twice a month to make sure i was doing okay. TBH it was awkward for me trying to have a conversation with someone i didnt know

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hello,

People say both, some feel supported and some want more. Somewhat depends on post or even individual unit.

I can't really help you answer that question because I don't really use the base for support.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get what you were looking though. I will say one thing that I have found that is somewhat common is the servicemember forgetting to make sure the FRG has the contact info for the spouse (email, phone number, etc.). I have heard some places, the servicemember has to sign off for the spouse to get that correspondence, so it is a possibility to look into.
  6. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I live 17 hours from where my DH, so obviously I've had no interaction with his base. Have you contacted your FRG?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live 20 minutes from base. Our FRG is basically nonexistent and I've heard from the Ombudsman a handful of times, pretty much all when I reached out and contacted her. But to be fair, I'm not sure what an Ombudsman's role is, so she could be doing a 100% awesome job. She's always been very helpful when I HAVE reached out and asked her something. FRG, not so much. FFSC (Fleet and Family Support Center) has been wonderful-- I recommend whatever family center is available at your base! ETA: I'm still yet to meet a single spouse or family member from my husband's ship. Awesome.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about how you feel about the support from your base. As the others have mentioned, have you heard from your FRG leader or other spouses from your DH's unit? Also, are you signed up to receive news and e-mails from them? If not, I would find a way to contact them and see if they offer some kind of support. Also, look and see if there's a deployed spouses support group on your base.
  9. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    I was just looking for general support. Someone to call me and check in on me. Someone was supposed to be calling me monthly from his squadron, but never did. There was a key spouse, but she never contacted me either. It made me feel really disconnected and disappointed. I REALLY hope our next base has wonderful support because I know I will use it. Yes, they had my contact information. There was one spouse that did keep in touch with me, but she wasn't the key spouse, she just kind of took me under her wing. I also looked into a deployed spouses support group at the base during this time as well and there was not an active support group. I think at our next base, I am going to have to make my own support group if it isn't already going on.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    I was just looking for general support. Someone to call me and check in on me. Someone was supposed to be calling me monthly from his squadron, but never did. There was a key spouse, but she never contacted me either. It made me feel really disconnected and disappointed. I REALLY hope our next base has wonderful support because I know I will use it.
    Do you have kids? If so, you can use the New Parent Support program-- it's a joint program, so it should be available at all branches' bases. If not, which branch are you affiliated with? Navy has FFSC (Fleet and Family Support Center), Air Force has the Airman and Family Readiness Center, etc. They can generally help you with any counseling or "check ins" that you need.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast