Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Video Interview - Advice!

1. Senior Member

Video Interview - Advice!

Advertisements
    Y'all I put one resume out and I got a video interview...so I am older but not THAT old (mid-30s) but I have never done a video interview. I am guessing this has replaced the standard phone interview before you get to the 1st in person interview? I was told it will only take 15 minutes...I am not sure what to expect?!

This company has an HR department (yay) but it's a more modern company maybe more like a start-up type thing with a millennial type work atmosphere (job posting says casual and fitness professional dress code?) so I am not even sure what to wear lol let alone what line of questions they are going to ask in a 15 minute interview?

I would really like to get this, the company is really centered around a team atmosphere, it has a focus on reaching out to the community and helping people. The position itself is similar to what I do now (I think) but I am super rusty when it comes to interview skills and I really want to make a good first impression and move on to a second interview at the local HQ.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! If you've done a 15 minute first round video interview what type of questions were asked?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    Y'all I put one resume out and I got a video interview...so I am older but not THAT old (mid-30s) but I have never done a video interview. I am guessing this has replaced the standard phone interview before you get to the 1st in person interview? I was told it will only take 15 minutes...I am not sure what to expect?!

This company has an HR department (yay) but it's a more modern company maybe more like a start-up type thing with a millennial type work atmosphere (job posting says casual and fitness professional dress code?) so I am not even sure what to wear lol let alone what line of questions they are going to ask in a 15 minute interview?

I would really like to get this, the company is really centered around a team atmosphere, it has a focus on reaching out to the community and helping people. The position itself is similar to what I do now (I think) but I am super rusty when it comes to interview skills and I really want to make a good first impression and move on to a second interview at the local HQ.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! If you've done a 15 minute first round video interview what type of questions were asked?
    Are they in your town? I've done video interviews when I was in a different location, but never in the same city. I would ask to clarify, they might think you are not local.

Otherwise, expect/prep just like a regular interview. I don't care what the attire is on a regular workday, for an interview you should wear a blazer/suit. Make sure you are a in clutter-free background (private rooms in a library would work best for me, no interruptions). I've generally found that intro interviews have been more about them explaining the position to me and making sure I knew what the parameters were and if I was still comfortable moving forward with the process. I would still prep all of your standard interview questions, but in my experience, the first round is more information-based than question/answer structure. I would ask who is interviewing you, that also gives you a pretty good indication of the line of questioning you will get (HR = more general, direct supervisor = more content, work based).
  3. Senior Member
    No they know I'm local - we have a location here in town but the interview is with the main office in Cali. She mentioned there would be 2 people on their end doing the interview - herself and another person (maybe someone from the local office too? I have no idea)
  4. Senior Member

Good luck!!!
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  5. Senior Member
    Our HR department does our first round of interviews via phone. They are generally 15 minutes or so and pretty standard (education, experience, what you are looking for in a position, making sure you have decent communication skills). And then we (hiring manager) get a short list of candidates for full interviews. I am actually doing an interview via Skype on Monday. It is all of the same questions you would be asked in person. I agree to always look more professional for an interview than you think you need to. And make sure you are somewhere quiet (no pets, kids, washer going). I usually start with an intro and a brief description of the position we are hiring for and then dive into questions. One thing I always ask that throws a lot of people off, is if they have any questions for me. The types of questions people ask me is usually a pretty good indicator if they have done their research and how interested in the position they are. Don't hesitate to mention the good reputation the company has and their community outreach. Companies want people who want to be involved and mesh with the company culture and objectives. Good luck!
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think it pretty much goes without saying, but be sure to test your webcam and whatever program you are using ahead of time. The interview is not the time to have technical difficulties, especially if you're only going to have 15 minutes to interact with them. Make sure that the microphone is working and you can be heard clearly ... maybe test call a friend.

My experience has also been that first round interviews are basically making sure that you're ok with the requirements of the position, the hours, sometimes they tell me what a typical compensation package would look like, etc. So basically making sure you're ok with those things. But they're also going to be looking at soft skills, before you go on to the next round they want to make sure you're a fit for the company too. I've also been asked questions like "why are you interested in working here?" and I think it's great you already know, especially if you can give specifics, like mention that community outreach is important to you and you see the company shares the same value, for example they did XYZ and that impressed you etc. It seems to me that internal recruiters are always happy when candidates know a lot about the company. They may also ask if you have any questions so maybe prepare 2-3 just in case.

I also agree with Trish ... their dress code may be casual or fitness or whatever but I wouldn't apply that to the interview. My job is business casual attire but I still wore a suit to the interview, and so has every candidate I've interviewed since. What you wear to an interview doesn't always match what the day to day dress code is.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Treat it as if it were in person.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"