Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereotype Ideas/Scenes

1. Regular Member

Stereotype Ideas/Scenes

Advertisements
    I have to write a paper about a gendered interaction in a short scene from a TV program, movie, lyrics, or commercial. The thing is; I don't watch much TV or movies to be able to think of one which has a scene that's heavily gender stereotyped (preferably masculinity). If anyone has any ideas, I have to relate it to my text. The more cliché and stereotypical, the better.

P.S. I'm more into action and sci-fi, so comedy and chick flicks aren't generally on my to-watch list. I bet comedy and chick flicks are loaded with it. So please, any specific clip or show you can think of, and I'll just YouTube it.

Thanks!
  2. Moderator

I would do the scene in Beauty and the Beast where Gaston "asks" Belle to marry him. He's basically the poster child for male chauvinism and you could write a pretty fun paper around that theme.
  3. Regular Member
    Oh yes! He's all in her face about it. That's a good idea. Disney does have some pretty good stereotypes in it. But, it also has good movies like Mulan where she goes against it all.
  4. Senior Member
    The deodorant commercial where the women are talking each other up and power posing before a meeting. The commercial wouldn't make any sense if it were men, cause they tend to be more naturally confident in these situations. It's a gender stereotype but has some science behind it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c56eb4b736c4
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    The deodorant commercial where the women are talking each other up and power posing before a meeting. The commercial wouldn't make any sense if it were men, cause they tend to be more naturally confident in these situations. It's a gender stereotype but has some science behind it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c56eb4b736c4
    Thanks. Ads seem super easy because they're only like 30 seconds and a lot can be read from the setting and script. It gets the point across fast versus being drawn out.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Most action films are dedicated to gendered stereo-types, whether they are trying to flaunt them or just give in to them.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Basically all of Sex and the City and Carrie's relationship with Big. He is "emotionally unavailable" and she fawns all over him like some pathetic loser.

(side bar: I used to like that show and watched it recently and got so aggravated it was unbearable )
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Basically all of Sex and the City and Carrie's relationship with Big. He is "emotionally unavailable" and she fawns all over him like some pathetic loser.

(side bar: I used to like that show and watched it recently and got so aggravated it was unbearable )
    Or the first season of Grey's Anatomy. Fuck you, Meredith Grey. Cannot stand her whiny fawning over McDreamy (who ISN'T EVEN THAT HOT - yeah I said it).
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Or the first season of Grey's Anatomy. Fuck you, Meredith Grey. Cannot stand her whiny fawning over McDreamy (who ISN'T EVEN THAT HOT - yeah I said it).
    I've never seen it but I believe you. S&TC legit made me angry when I watched it recently. Full Rage.
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I've never seen it but I believe you. S&TC legit made me angry when I watched it recently. Full Rage.
    Well I take approximately 10 years to get into stuff that's trendy, so I only watched Grey's for the first time a few weeks ago and naturally binged a lot of it... fuck, that show makes me ragey. I feel you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast