Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "side" job

1. Regular Member

A "side" job

Advertisements
    I was just browsing through several topics in this thread and it looks like a lot of spouses are having difficulties finding, lets say, real jobs. Either it takes too long to hear back, or because there is a lot of competition and not every company wants to hire someone who will leave in a couple years.
    The question is, how hard is it do try to find a temporary job (working at home) like doing nails/eyelashes/ make-up artists, hair dresser, painter/artist, translation/interpretation, a sales clerk? And is it worth it? These are just first ones on top of my head right now. The list can be long, depending on your talents and skills. But sounds like these are some stuff you ca do to keep you busy, to make some extra money, make new friends in the area where you just moved, help you grow, and etc. Has anyone tried/trying this type of jobs?
  2. Senior Member
    I mean you can find part time shitty jobs basically anywhere, that's not really the issue people have finding work. The issue is finding gainful employment when you're not something like a nurse. Location has a lot to do with it too, you might be able to find a job as a translator easily overseas but there's not really a demand for that where the majority of military bases are, the middle of nowhere.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I mean you can find part time shitty jobs basically anywhere, that's not really the issue people have finding work. The issue is finding gainful employment when you're not something like a nurse. Location has a lot to do with it too, you might be able to find a job as a translator easily overseas but there's not really a demand for that where the majority of military bases are, the middle of nowhere.
    Is being a nurse bad? My cousin is a nurse, and her husband is not employed at the moment, they seem to be doing pretty good with her pay. I mean, a lot of people are looking for jobs because they need a source of income (t least, that' is what a majority of them say), in case of military spouses, also to be able to make connections, find friends and just to get out of the house, then why not consider something like a little business and be your own boss?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
    Is being a nurse bad? My cousin is a nurse, and her husband is not employed at the moment, they seem to be doing pretty good with her pay. I mean, a lot of people are looking for jobs because they need a source of income (t least, that' is what a majority of them say), in case of military spouses, also to be able to make connections, find friends and just to get out of the house, then why not consider something like a little business and be your own boss?
    Nursing is one of the best careers for a military spouse.

Building your own little business could be good too but first of all, you have to be talented at something. Not everybody has a skill they can monetize. There are issues with running certain businesses from home too, if you're leasing a place (as most military families probably are) you probably won't be allowed to run a salon out of your house. Then there's also the money factor, if you're trying to make extra money it can take a while before your small business starts turning a profit, if ever. A lot of people fall for MLM scams too trying to be their own boss.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
    I think the Issue like Heisenberg said is that many people want a career, not just a job.

It took me a little while to get my feet under me and get my career started after I married DH, and I did consider some of the things you mentioned. I was a substitute teacher for a while and that helped fill in the gaps and get me out and about but it wasn't a long term solution.

Personally, "being my own boss" was not something that was on the table for me. I don't have an entrepreneurial spirit (props to people who do though!) and to me the risk was NOT worth the reward. We were a little bit tight on making ends meet anyway and investing time and money into a new business isn't something that was an option for us. Plus depending on where you live, it may not be allowed to have people in and out of your house so you can do their nails/hair/etc. And again you run into issues about state licensing for that sort of thing, liability in case someone gets hurt or sues, etc. Plus you run into the same problem you mentioned in you first post - a lot of jobs like that rely on word of mouth and building up a loyal clientele who can give referrals to other people. Moving around every few years and starting that process all over again can be daunting. It does seem like MLM type "be on your own boss" jobs like Scentsy and makeup stuff and Jamberry or whatever the nail stickers are is pretty popular with military spouses, and getting involved introduces you to a network of potential new friends. But again I was never one for those types of things either and I'm not sure how much money is actually being made. My impression of it is that people just end up buying each other's stuff and basically passing money around in a circle.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nursing is one of the best careers for a military spouse.

Building your own little business could be good too but first of all, you have to be talented at something. Not everybody has a skill they can monetize. There are issues with running certain businesses from home too, if you're leasing a place (as most military families probably are) you probably won't be allowed to run a salon out of your house. Then there's also the money factor, if you're trying to make extra money it can take a while before your small business starts turning a profit, if ever. A lot of people fall for MLM scams too trying to be their own boss.
    you also end up having the issue of building and rebuilding a clientele every time you move. I know a lot of hairdressers who work out of their homes in my HOA and all of them are fighting for business because they don't have time to build that good recommendation that makes most people go to a specific hair dresser.
  7. Senior Member
    And also, meeting people and socializing is a benefit of having a job but the majority of people are trying to make money. The military really doesn't pay that well for the lower ranks and depending on where you live it can be hard to make ends meet on one income. You really can't afford to take on the risk of starting a business under those circumstances.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think the Issue like Heisenberg said is that many people want a career, not just a job.

It took me a little while to get my feet under me and get my career started after I married DH, and I did consider some of the things you mentioned. I was a substitute teacher for a while and that helped fill in the gaps and get me out and about but it wasn't a long term solution.

Personally, "being my own boss" was not something that was on the table for me. I don't have an entrepreneurial spirit (props to people who do though!) and to me the risk was NOT worth the reward. We were a little bit tight on making ends meet anyway and investing time and money into a new business isn't something that was an option for us. Plus depending on where you live, it may not be allowed to have people in and out of your house so you can do their nails/hair/etc. And again you run into issues about state licensing for that sort of thing, liability in case someone gets hurt or sues, etc. Plus you run into the same problem you mentioned in you first post - a lot of jobs like that rely on word of mouth and building up a loyal clientele who can give referrals to other people. Moving around every few years and starting that process all over again can be daunting. It does seem like MLM type "be on your own boss" jobs like Scentsy and makeup stuff and Jamberry or whatever the nail stickers are is pretty popular with military spouses, and getting involved introduces you to a network of potential new friends. But again I was never one for those types of things either and I'm not sure how much money is actually being made. My impression of it is that people just end up buying each other's stuff and basically passing money around in a circle.
    Right, this all makes sense. I am sure you can make some money, not a crazy amount (although, depends on your clientele), but I did not take into account some laws and regulations regarding letting people in your house and etc. Although, I assume for someone who has prior experience and knows all pros and cons, it would be easier to obtain licenses/ permission to to set up the business, if they know that it is worth it.

I wonder how often do bases offer temporary vacancies for spouses? Some jobs that may be helpful to be a good experience for future career... some office work lets say?
  9. Senior Member
    Are you asking for your own future, or some other reason? Because I can't really get a read on the tone of your posts.

Bases rarely offer many office work type jobs. Many of those are active duty. Those that aren't are often GS job, and that hiring process can take a up to a year, or sometimes even more. There is spousal preference, but that only goes so far.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Are you asking for your own future, or some other reason? Because I can't really get a read on the tone of your posts.

Bases rarely offer many office work type jobs. Many of those are active duty. Those that aren't are often GS job, and that hiring process can take a up to a year, or sometimes even more. There is spousal preference, but that only goes so far.
    I'm glad you asked. At first it sounded like she was going to pitch her business or pyramid scheme. Now it sounds like it's for research. I can't really tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast