Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "side" job

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    I am not a military spouse (I may become one day) so I am not asking for myself. Also, I am not even talented in anything that can help me make money other than regular job when I work for someone. But I was just wondering what are the possibilities and pros and cons of doing anything of the sort because, obviously, not everyone can get a good office job, even if they have a degree.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
    I am not a military spouse (I may become one day) so I am not asking for myself. Also, I am not even talented in anything that can help me make money other than regular job when I work for someone. But I was just wondering what are the possibilities and pros and cons of doing anything of the sort because, obviously, not everyone can get a good office job, even if they have a degree.
    Well I hope we've laid them out for you lol. Working for yourself is a financial risk, can take a long time before seeing a return on your investment, a lot of military families are poor, and I'd even say most people aren't cut out for being their own boss.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
    Right, this all makes sense. I am sure you can make some money, not a crazy amount (although, depends on your clientele), but I did not take into account some laws and regulations regarding letting people in your house and etc. Although, I assume for someone who has prior experience and knows all pros and cons, it would be easier to obtain licenses/ permission to to set up the business, if they know that it is worth it.

I wonder how often do bases offer temporary vacancies for spouses? Some jobs that may be helpful to be a good experience for future career... some office work lets say?
    I have never heard of anything like this tbh. I know there are some jobs available on post but usually when I hear about spouses working it's like in the day care place (forget the name) and doesn't really seem like a stepping stone to an office type career. There's just not that much support within the military for a spouse to develop their career; if anything in my experience it has been the opposite.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I'm glad you asked. At first it sounded like she was going to pitch her business or pyramid scheme. Now it sounds like it's for research. I can't really tell.
    This was my first thought, also. It reads like sheís asking for a research paper like so many before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I have never heard of anything like this tbh. I know there are some jobs available on post but usually when I hear about spouses working it's like in the day care place (forget the name) and doesn't really seem like a stepping stone to an office type career. There's just not that much support within the military for a spouse to develop their career; if anything in my experience it has been the opposite.
    The CDC.
    Itís a pretty decent job if youíre hired on as part time or full time but most of the time you start out as a flex employee. That means no paid time off, no paid holidays. Basically no benefits. You can work your way up from a flex employee to a Director of a CDC but that takes years and higher education.

For me personally, I took 9 years out of work to raise my nerdlings. Now that theyíre both school age, I didnít want to sit at home all day anymore. Adult interaction is nice, making money is nice, and having something other than a huge black hole on my resume is nice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12