Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Nursing School=anxiety right now

  1. Regular Member
    ahoover8's Avatar
    ahoover8 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    San Angelo, Tx
    Posts
    35
    #1

    Exclamation Nursing School=anxiety right now

    Advertisements
    Sorry this is going to be a rant..
    Is it senioritis? Or is it the sudden changes with staffing and the inconsistency of the program?

    I know that our school is starting to make changes to better their program to help with their passing rates for boards and keep accreditation, but things are really starting to get on my nerves. And my poor DB is watching me tred water, go crazy, and have panic attacks 2000 miles away from him and I feel bad because he feels helpless.

    I knew getting into this program that it was going to be tough. Any nursing program is. Between the care plans, the late night patient information collection, back to back exams..and trying to get sleep on top of all the reading and studying.. I feel like a zombie. Now our school is making us do these Kaplan exams to help prep us for boards and NCLEX, which is great. But then we have to remediate every question we get wrong with a paragraph explanation per question. Then certain professors won't accept it if it is a certain way either.

    I understand the bettering our understanding and looking at content for the questions. But now they are implementing this 300 NCLEX question remediation coming up over winter break. And when we come back in the Spring we have to get a 900 (nearly perfect score) on our HESI, which is our prediction exam. If we don't achieve that, we have to get in the 60th percentile of above on the Kaplan comprehensive. If we don't pass that either, we have to remediate both exams, and 2000 additional questions before graduation. If we don't do that satisfactory, we don't graduate and have to retake Practicum. I know a senior who is on her third round because of remediation..

    I know this is nothing I can control, but I am just curious, is anyone else stressed out or have to go through this? Even if it's not Nursing?
  2. Regular Member
    susbro510's Avatar
    susbro510 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lemoore
    Posts
    73
    Blog Entries
    3
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoover8 View Post
    Sorry this is going to be a rant..
    Is it senioritis? Or is it the sudden changes with staffing and the inconsistency of the program?

    I know that our school is starting to make changes to better their program to help with their passing rates for boards and keep accreditation, but things are really starting to get on my nerves. And my poor DB is watching me tred water, go crazy, and have panic attacks 2000 miles away from him and I feel bad because he feels helpless.

    I knew getting into this program that it was going to be tough. Any nursing program is. Between the care plans, the late night patient information collection, back to back exams..and trying to get sleep on top of all the reading and studying.. I feel like a zombie. Now our school is making us do these Kaplan exams to help prep us for boards and NCLEX, which is great. But then we have to remediate every question we get wrong with a paragraph explanation per question. Then certain professors won't accept it if it is a certain way either.

    I understand the bettering our understanding and looking at content for the questions. But now they are implementing this 300 NCLEX question remediation coming up over winter break. And when we come back in the Spring we have to get a 900 (nearly perfect score) on our HESI, which is our prediction exam. If we don't achieve that, we have to get in the 60th percentile of above on the Kaplan comprehensive. If we don't pass that either, we have to remediate both exams, and 2000 additional questions before graduation. If we don't do that satisfactory, we don't graduate and have to retake Practicum. I know a senior who is on her third round because of remediation..

    I know this is nothing I can control, but I am just curious, is anyone else stressed out or have to go through this? Even if it's not Nursing?
    I feel you, girl. I really do. I am dealing with the stress of getting into nursing school and also the stress of figuring out where I am going to start. The DB wants me to get an apartment with him, except I'm going to have to move eight hours away, find a job, an apartment, and a nursing school in the same area. I feel bad because if I don't move, I won't get a lot of time with him until he goes on his big deployments. I don't really know what to do right now.

    I'm also trying to figure out money for when he does come back from deployment because I wanted to have a nice 4 day get away with him. I promised when I had the cash. and he isn't telling me exactly where he needs me to pick him up. So, I can't make reservations yet. I also just lost my best friend. It's a bad day today.
  3. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    654
    #3
    Honestly, this seems like overkill. You are all adults and should be responsible for studying for boards before or after graduation, I assume. Plus everyone studies in a different way, maybe writing out answers doesn't work for everyone? I get that they are trying to help you be prepared though. I can only relate with our professional license (geology), which is a really hard exam and you need five years experience to sit for. But if you don't pass, my company is like... blah, no bonus, you need to try again in six months.
  4. Regular Member
    RebeccaAshley's Avatar
    RebeccaAshley is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    76
    #4
    I'm not in nursing, but I definitely understand your stress level.
    I've just recently transferred to a new school and this semester has been absolutely crazy.
    I have to maintain high grades to apply for my new program, and also need to maintain a high GPA in order to apply to Graduate Schools for my Masters' Degree.

    It's really hard balancing life, and studying, having exams, etc..

    I just had four exams in two days last week... I was going to rip my hair out!
    Plus adding in a military long distance relationship isn't much help either.
    I see yours is 2000 miles away- mine is 1200 miles away. so I feel your pain lol

    I've been trying to just try and do fun things in any spare time that I have to ease my stress/anxiety.

    I finally picked up my guitar again after stopping for 2 months. And I bought a new book to read, as well.
    It helps to kind of ground yourself and do things that just ease your mind.
  5. Regular Member
    ahoover8's Avatar
    ahoover8 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    San Angelo, Tx
    Posts
    35
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Honestly, this seems like overkill. You are all adults and should be responsible for studying for boards before or after graduation, I assume. Plus everyone studies in a different way, maybe writing out answers doesn't work for everyone? I get that they are trying to help you be prepared though. I can only relate with our professional license (geology), which is a really hard exam and you need five years experience to sit for. But if you don't pass, my company is like... blah, no bonus, you need to try again in six months.
    I wish it could be a no bonus situation ha. Sadly, if I don't get licensed I cannot practice and use my degree until I do depending on the state. I do agree though. We all are adults and are able to study. It is overkill and just added stress to our lives. I personally gain no help with writing out all my answers. It's just frustrating because I need a continuous drip IV of caffeine in my arm to survive this semester.
  6. Regular Member
    ahoover8's Avatar
    ahoover8 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    San Angelo, Tx
    Posts
    35
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaAshley View Post
    I'm not in nursing, but I definitely understand your stress level.
    I've just recently transferred to a new school and this semester has been absolutely crazy.
    I have to maintain high grades to apply for my new program, and also need to maintain a high GPA in order to apply to Graduate Schools for my Masters' Degree.

    It's really hard balancing life, and studying, having exams, etc..

    I just had four exams in two days last week... I was going to rip my hair out!
    Plus adding in a military long distance relationship isn't much help either.
    I see yours is 2000 miles away- mine is 1200 miles away. so I feel your pain lol

    I've been trying to just try and do fun things in any spare time that I have to ease my stress/anxiety.

    I finally picked up my guitar again after stopping for 2 months. And I bought a new book to read, as well.
    It helps to kind of ground yourself and do things that just ease your mind.
    Ive been trying to read books in free time, but at the same time I feel so unprepared now if I read anything but my nursing texts. Sometimes I feel as though there are not enough hours in the day ha. It is "good" seeing someone else going through something similar though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •