Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Help!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Shock College Help!

Advertisements
    Hi all! I need your help.
    My fiancée and I are really wanting to end this long distance (after almost a year) and move me down to live with him on base. But I have a problem concerning my education. I live in NC, he's in SC. Originally, before he proposed to me and this idea of living together, I was going to finish up the general education classes I'm taking and transfer to a veterinary technician program (2 years) in Asheville, NC. The 5 classes I'm taking now will all transfer and count towards this program. The college advisor in Asheville actually recommended I "chunk it out" to help with the course load.

But, if I do that, I won't be starting until the fall of 2018. That's about 3 months until my fiancée gets his first set of orders. I really, REALLY want to go with him. I don't want to be long distance for another 2 years. Not to mention, we'll potentially be even farther away.

I'm currently looking into the Vet Assistant online program through Ashworth College. From my understanding, it's all online until the final portion/semester which you then find a clinic/hospital to do an externship and complete X amount of hours. So it wouldn't matter where I was.

Then, depending on where we are, I could look into a vet tech course near by.

Is that a horrible plan? Anyone have experience with Ashworth College? (I've seen many reviews, most of which are mixed and have common complaints)

This is just a really big step and wayyyyy outside my comfort zone. I'm just looking for any and all advice and perspectives.

Anything is greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance
    Bri
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't have much help, because I don't have any experience with Ashworth college, in fact I've never heard about it until now. That said, I have taken online courses, and you have to be comfortable with doing that. Have you taken online courses before? If you haven't I suggest you take one first before you make your decision because some people really struggle with it!

I don't think it sounds like a bad plan if you're ready to live with your SO, I totally get how difficult long distance is. Just make sure that you're not giving up on what you want to do for someone else, you don't want to regret it later!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    I don't have much help, because I don't have any experience with Ashworth college, in fact I've never heard about it until now. That said, I have taken online courses, and you have to be comfortable with doing that. Have you taken online courses before? If you haven't I suggest you take one first before you make your decision because some people really struggle with it!

I don't think it sounds like a bad plan if you're ready to live with your SO, I totally get how difficult long distance is. Just make sure that you're not giving up on what you want to do for someone else, you don't want to regret it later!
    I'm actually in 2 online courses right now and they're actually my favorite! I'm not one of those people who needs a career to feel whole, I find that in my rescue work. I just don't want to take a misguided step and end up wasting time. As much as I hate long distance, I wonder if enduring it would help strengthen us even more.

Thank for the input!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_K View Post
    I'm actually in 2 online courses right now and they're actually my favorite! I'm not one of those people who needs a career to feel whole, I find that in my rescue work. I just don't want to take a misguided step and end up wasting time. As much as I hate long distance, I wonder if enduring it would help strengthen us even more.

Thank for the input!
    No problem! If you're fine with online courses, than the choice is really yours, which is going to be better for you? Which is going to make you happy, and which is going to be best for you. Long distance isn't horrible either, so it's a difficult decision. I suggest you talk to your SO and see what his plans are and what he thinks would be best, not because you need him to make decisions for you lol, but because I'm sure his input is important to you too!

There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I really enjoyed my online classes but I know it's not for everyone. If you're cool with online learning I think it could be a good compromise to look into!

As for Ashworth College I'm not super familiar with it, but a quick google shows it's a for-profit college without regional accreditation. That would be a red flag for me, especially since you are wanting to continue into the vet tech program ... some schools and employers do not recognize coursework from schools without the regional accreditation.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I really enjoyed my online classes but I know it's not for everyone. If you're cool with online learning I think it could be a good compromise to look into!

As for Ashworth College I'm not super familiar with it, but a quick google shows it's a for-profit college without regional accreditation. That would be a red flag for me, especially since you are wanting to continue into the vet tech program ... some schools and employers do not recognize coursework from schools without the regional accreditation.
    if you are one of the people who is organized and has enough time management skills to be successful at online school it's definitely a possibility but I would find a brick and mortar school that offers online programs instead of a strictly online college. For example I did most of my Masters through UMass Lowell and my degree says that but I did most of it online. My husband is attending school through Southern New Hampshire University again his degree will say that and it' a "real" school with a good reputation but he does it all online.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you're going to get married for you to be put on his orders I would get as much transferable school done as possible now. When he gets his orders to move then move wherever that is. He'll be allowed up to a certain weight limit for the military to move so you could uhaul your stuff to him and the military move it from there or look into a PPM (where you move yourself). Just know the military will cover from where he is stationed to where he will be stationed. There are some exceptions to that, but that is the general idea. Then, when y'all arrive at the new duty station, find a school there to finish. If you want to attend online then I'd find a school you can physically attend in class that offers online classes.

If you will not be getting married, I would stick with your original plan. Not being on his orders means the military will not pay for you to move and he may not be allowed to live out of the barracks (and that really may be the case at school).
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Be careful with for-profit college, they can cause lots of issues. $10,000 later I figured that out!

]
  9. Senior Member

Also, I took a few online classes in my undergrad, and I loved them. But, I am going back to school now. I needed some classes before I start grad school because I got my undergrad in something else. Anyway...I found that taking a full load of online classes...I didn't really learn too much, and I had to drop out, and had to find another program, where I am experiencing great success. So, even if you do have experience with online classes. I would still be wary of the difference between one or two online classes and all online classes.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    :My husband is attending school through Southern New Hampshire University again his degree will say that and it' a "real" school with a good reputation but he does it all online.
    That is good to hear... I am an adjunct prof there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast