Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TORN... what job do I chose

1. Senior Member

Confused TORN... what job do I chose

Advertisements
    Currently, I work in child welfare as a caseworker for a smaller county. I have the opportunity to move to a bigger county, larger caseloads, not so much micro-managing, different way of doing things (although still following the State procedures), about 30 minutes from my house, no after hours on call(which I currently do 2 weeks a month) and more pay.

OR

I can leave child welfare and get back into the hair industry. I would be traveling to all the western states (Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and west) being an educator on a color line and working with salons and distributors who use the product. I would be traveling 4-5 days a week and it would be every week I would be traveling. With this job I would be making $30,000 a year MORE than either child welfare jobs. I would have to front the travel expenses for every trip, but get full reimbursement within 5-7 days of booking.

Currently, it is just my husband and I, no kids, but 4 fur-babies. We live with my mom so the animals being taken care of if SO and I are both gone is not an issue, but it would be an issue if we did not have my mom at the house (which could happen within the next year to year and half). My SO is currently in law enforcement and NG so he is busy and gone a lot of the times too. I feel that I would be happy in both jobs, but the money part is pulling me towards the hair job more than anything, but then I get pulled back because that's a LOT of traveling and being away from home. Child welfare if hard and draining, but I enjoy it, sometimes... what would you do?
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Currently, I work in child welfare as a caseworker for a smaller county. I have the opportunity to move to a bigger county, larger caseloads, not so much micro-managing, different way of doing things (although still following the State procedures), about 30 minutes from my house, no after hours on call(which I currently do 2 weeks a month) and more pay.

OR

I can leave child welfare and get back into the hair industry. I would be traveling to all the western states (Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and west) being an educator on a color line and working with salons and distributors who use the product. I would be traveling 4-5 days a week and it would be every week I would be traveling. With this job I would be making $30,000 a year MORE than either child welfare jobs. I would have to front the travel expenses for every trip, but get full reimbursement within 5-7 days of booking.

Currently, it is just my husband and I, no kids, but 4 fur-babies. We live with my mom so the animals being taken care of if SO and I are both gone is not an issue, but it would be an issue if we did not have my mom at the house (which could happen within the next year to year and half). My SO is currently in law enforcement and NG so he is busy and gone a lot of the times too. I feel that I would be happy in both jobs, but the money part is pulling me towards the hair job more than anything, but then I get pulled back because that's a LOT of traveling and being away from home. Child welfare if hard and draining, but I enjoy it, sometimes... what would you do?
    I would imagine traveling THAT often for work would get old quickly.

Also, have you talked to your mom? Would she mind watching the animals?

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Senior Member
    I HATE traveling for work, so for me this would be easy! I would definitely see if you mom is even on board with that amount of assistance. If she isn't planning on living with you long term I don't think you would get by without that extra assistance. I would also be thinking about career growth, if you travel for work doing this for a year is there another role that you can move into that doesn't involve that much travel? Inevitably you will grow tried of that much traveling and being away from home.
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I would imagine traveling THAT often for work would get old quickly.

Also, have you talked to your mom? Would she mind watching the animals?
    This. Never assume someone is ok with this situation without asking. I had a friend do this to me and I got very resentful and upset over it. Personally, even if I had someone to watch my dogs at a very cheap/no fee, there's no way I'd want to be away from them 5 days per week every week. How long would this last? Forever?

Personally, I'd stick with the child welfare job. Way better work/life balance which, to me, is more important than better pay + nonstop travel.
    ~Becca~

5. Senior Member
    Imo, jobs that require that amount of travel are for people with certain lifestyles, that don't include pets. i also don't think a job like that is really sustainable long term, I mean you'd have basically no downtime. What kind of social life are you gonna have? If you're at a comfortable income level already I wouldn't do it, personally. Money isn't everything and quality of life should come first.
  6. Senior Member
    I talked this over with my mom. She says she is willing to watch the animals when I am away and if my SO is away too. I am afraid traveling would get old. I have my second interview Friday, and you guys are coming up with some good thoughts that now I need to ask them.

One thing I am thinking of too is that with the hair job I could live anywhere and keep the job, whereas in child welfare its not that easy to get a job in other states and if we were to move (which we have talked about) I wouldnt have to look for another job.
  7. Senior Member
    I agree, the travel could get pretty old. When you go for your interview, you might want to ask what the turnover is like in that job. Me, I wouldn't want to be away from my husband and my fur kids that much and hotel living is stressful to me.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    I talked this over with my mom. She says she is willing to watch the animals when I am away and if my SO is away too. I am afraid traveling would get old. I have my second interview Friday, and you guys are coming up with some good thoughts that now I need to ask them.

One thing I am thinking of too is that with the hair job I could live anywhere and keep the job, whereas in child welfare its not that easy to get a job in other states and if we were to move (which we have talked about) I wouldnt have to look for another job.
    What's your plan with your pets in a year/year and a half when your mom watching them is no longer an option? Is child welfare difficult to get back into if you take this job and it doesn't work out?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What's your plan with your pets in a year/year and a half when your mom watching them is no longer an option? Is child welfare difficult to get back into if you take this job and it doesn't work out?
    Since I am trained in the state of Colorado, it would not be difficult to get back into it. Trying to get into other states is a bit harder because the state has their own guidelines. The turn-over rate for Child welfare is very high so there is always a demand for us. I do wonder that if I take a break from child welfare if that could hurt me getting back into it if I did take the hair job. Like I have been in child welfare for 2 years, left, do something with hair, then decided to go back to child welfare, does that look bad?

Im compiling questions for my interviews. I really appreciate everyone's advise, makes me think :-)
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    My husband works a traveling job. He’s over it. It’s not fun. It sucks food wise. It sucks for the family.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast