Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Internship

  1. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #1

    Sad Internship

    Advertisements
    So I had a meeting with my adviser today and found out some things that I didn't know were required for the career field I'm going into. The last year of schooling is basically internship for 880 hours, 32 hours/week (99% interns are unpaid). Has anyone gone through this? If so, what did you do - live with parents, take out a loan, do scholarships? Rent in Minnesota is generally 750+ monthly and I'm single income and highly prefer not living with my mom and her boyfriend. I mean even if I lived with them, I guess I could take a VERY part-time job, just I have a daughter and I'd want to do night shifts but it's not really possible unless I have someone to be with her. Like, I still would need money for gas and what not. Not sure what schools expect.

    I haven't started the degree yet, but now I'm second guessing it because it literally might not be feasible/possible for me to do.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    So I had a meeting with my adviser today and found out some things that I didn't know were required for the career field I'm going into. The last year of schooling is basically internship for 880 hours, 32 hours/week. Has anyone gone through this? If so, what did you do - live with parents, take out a loan, do scholarships? Rent in Minnesota is generally 750+ monthly and I'm single income and highly prefer not living with my mom and her boyfriend. I mean even if I lived with them, I guess I could take a VERY part-time job, just I have a daughter and I'd want to do night shifts but it's not really possible. Like, I still would need money for gas and what not. Not sure what schools expect.

    I haven't started the degree yet, but now I'm second guessing it because it literally might not be feasible/possible for me to do.
    I had to do an internship for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees, it's very common practice. What career field are you going into? How far away is the last year/internship. Schools expect to give you experience, just like future/potential employers expect you to seek it and an internship is probably the best way to do that and also gain connections. An 800+ hour internship doesn't sound too demanding and will give you a much better idea of the way your field is. People do them all the time with full time jobs, kids and families, and other classes so it's definitely doable. I wouldn't let this first conversation with your adviser let you change the entire course of your academic career!

    I think the biggest thing to consider is that *most* internships are unpaid, so you need to figure out how you're going to still make ends meet whether it's working an extra job or taking out a little extra on your student loans. I know you mentioned you hadn't started the degree, so I'm curious how much time you may have to save up some cash before you get to your final year. I did a mixture of both part-time work and extra loan money and found it worked well for me. If you can save the rent money and live with your mother, definitely consider that. I lived in a friend's house my first internship and with a roommate the second which helped save money as well.
  3. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #3
    I'm going for Chemical Dependency Counseling...And the thing is, I'm living with my mom right now, saving up to be able to move out again (not the best environment to live in). My last relationship I literally ran out of the house and lost all my possessions after being allowed to get signed off the lease, so I'm starting over from scratch. The internship is about two years away, and the thing is I'm also wanting to save up for a potential custody hearing due to me wanting to move my daughter out of state to be with current DB. Too much is going on in my life and I'm just seeing what worked well for others, or some suggestions...I already have multiple student loans out from "emergency" situations while in my last relationship where he "promised" to help pay back. Literally got sucked dry from it.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    I'm going for Chemical Dependency Counseling...And the thing is, I'm living with my mom right now, saving up to be able to move out again (not the best environment to live in). My last relationship I literally ran out of the house and lost all my possessions after being allowed to get signed off the lease, so I'm starting over from scratch. The internship is about two years away, and the thing is I'm also wanting to save up for a potential custody hearing due to me wanting to move my daughter out of state to be with current DB. Too much is going on in my life and I'm just seeing what worked well for others, or some suggestions...I already have multiple student loans out from "emergency" situations while in my last relationship where he "promised" to help pay back. Literally got sucked dry from it.
    If you're trying to move out of state soon, is the program online? Tbh it sounds like there is a ton going on and if this is too much, why add something else to your plate right now?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #5
    I changed my major partially because an internship was required. There were other factors, like the fact that I only wanted the degree for one job, but the fact I would have to try and swing an internship with the military made me change. That being said, internships are a fabulous way to gain experience. If I were you I'd be doing everything I could now to save instead of later. That way you can hold off on loans until you have no other option. Have you applied for financial aid? I'm assuming with a child to take care of you'd be eligible for a pell grant. If you are, use only what's necessary and save every penny you can. You said your living situation isn't ideal, perhaps you can look into roommates or other family members to move in with to cut costs?
  6. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I changed my major partially because an internship was required. There were other factors, like the fact that I only wanted the degree for one job, but the fact I would have to try and swing an internship with the military made me change. That being said, internships are a fabulous way to gain experience. If I were you I'd be doing everything I could now to save instead of later. That way you can hold off on loans until you have no other option. Have you applied for financial aid? I'm assuming with a child to take care of you'd be eligible for a pell grant. If you are, use only what's necessary and save every penny you can. You said your living situation isn't ideal, perhaps you can look into roommates or other family members to move in with to cut costs?
    Yeah I qualify for grants. Just worried about the 8 months of no job. Anyone know of any good scholarship websites?

    By the time he's done overseas my degree will be done so I'm not worried about too much about that, just the in betweens so I can save up for all this.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Yeah I qualify for grants. Just worried about the 8 months of no job. Anyone know of any good scholarship websites?

    By the time he's done overseas my degree will be done so I'm not worried about too much about that, just the in betweens so I can save up for all this.
    8 months of 32 hour internship workweeks wouldn't necessarily stop you from getting a part-time job. You could work a few evening or weekend shifts at a restaurant and make bank, or find a job somewhere that allows you to multitask and work on homework/internship stuff at the same time! But if you want scholarships I'd suggest speaking to someone in financial aid. They know the ins and outs of finding that ca$h money!
  8. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    8 months of 32 hour internship workweeks wouldn't necessarily stop you from getting a part-time job. You could work a few evening or weekend shifts at a restaurant and make bank, or find a job somewhere that allows you to multitask and work on homework/internship stuff at the same time! But if you want scholarships I'd suggest speaking to someone in financial aid. They know the ins and outs of finding that ca$h money!
    Yeah I'm thinking of looking into bartending on nights if someone is willing to watch my daughter. Or do 2 12s on the weekend. I don't have much of a social life anyway.
  9. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking of looking into bartending on nights if someone is willing to watch my daughter. Or do 2 12s on the weekend. I don't have much of a social life anyway.
    I had none when I was finishing up grad school. Worth it, though!
  10. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #10
    As a single mother you qualify for some amazing grants and scholarships. My cousin received one that covered four years completely, books and everything, plus an additonal 300 to help with rent, groceries, whatever.

    If you don't want to live with your mom you might try renting an apartment with a friend and you might want to find a friend or daycare you trust so you can work while you do your internship.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •