Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Internship

  1. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #11
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    As a single mother you qualify for some amazing grants and scholarships. My cousin received one that covered four years completely, books and everything, plus an additonal 300 to help with rent, groceries, whatever.

    If you don't want to live with your mom you might try renting an apartment with a friend and you might want to find a friend or daycare you trust so you can work while you do your internship.
    Luckily she'll be in grade school when I need to worry about interning so daycare won't be needed 😊 - schools are sadly basically like a free daycare.

    I'll definitely be checking into single mom scholarships. I would cry if I was awarded anything. It's such a difficult, but worthy path in life.
  2. Regular Member
    TheBitterSpouse's Avatar
    TheBitterSpouse is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    135
    #12
    I think you have already received some great advice on here from ladies with real experience dealing with internships, loans, scholarships, etc.

    The only thing I have to add is when you met with someone about scholarships, don't automatically write off ones you don't think you will qualify for. This was the best advice I received from a professor when I was in school. He also told me not to focus of the high dollar amount scholarships, but to apply for all large and small. This worked for me as many local scholarships ($1500 and below) that a shouldn't have been eligible for were awarded to me, it added up and covered tuition for a semester here and there.

    I will also add, although I am not sure what field you are going into, a good friend of mine made the internship work for her by staying with family (yeah, it sucks but it is only temporary and for a good cause, so that you will never have to do it again), she worked part time at a restaurant and achieved her basic RN. Once she got a job as a nurse she went back to school and did a second internship to become an anesthetist. She had no social life and had to be the biggest penny pincher ever, but it paid off in the long run as she is now highly successful making six figures a year and has tons of freedom to do what she wants. The sacrifice now is forth the reward in the end.

    Good luck!


    "Well behaved women rarely make history"
  3. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #13
    I agree with the advice about scholarships too - when I was in undergrad, one of my professors really bugged me to apply for a small $500 one. I didn't think I would get it because it required a paper about why you want to be an ecologist (I didn't want to be an ecologist) but I wrote about my general love of biology and environmental sciences instead and still won it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #14
    Ok so I get grants from FASFA, but if I were to get scholarships, am I still awarded cash from the grants and/or scholarships if there is left overs from the semester? I'm just worried about gas money and rent if I can't hold a part time job down without a sitter.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBitterSpouse View Post
    I think you have already received some great advice on here from ladies with real experience dealing with internships, loans, scholarships, etc.

    The only thing I have to add is when you met with someone about scholarships, don't automatically write off ones you don't think you will qualify for. This was the best advice I received from a professor when I was in school. He also told me not to focus of the high dollar amount scholarships, but to apply for all large and small. This worked for me as many local scholarships ($1500 and below) that a shouldn't have been eligible for were awarded to me, it added up and covered tuition for a semester here and there.

    I will also add, although I am not sure what field you are going into, a good friend of mine made the internship work for her by staying with family (yeah, it sucks but it is only temporary and for a good cause, so that you will never have to do it again), she worked part time at a restaurant and achieved her basic RN. Once she got a job as a nurse she went back to school and did a second internship to become an anesthetist. She had no social life and had to be the biggest penny pincher ever, but it paid off in the long run as she is now highly successful making six figures a year and has tons of freedom to do what she wants. The sacrifice now is forth the reward in the end.

    Good luck!
    I need all her advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing post-military

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Ok so I get grants from FASFA, but if I were to get scholarships, am I still awarded cash from the grants and/or scholarships if there is left overs from the semester? I'm just worried about gas money and rent if I can't hold a part time job down without a sitter.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe scholarships and FASFA go hand-in-hand. I don't ever remember seeing a section on the FASFA application regarding scholarships, since it is income based.
  6. Regular Member
    TheBitterSpouse's Avatar
    TheBitterSpouse is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    135
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I need all her advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing post-military
    If you have questions about any of it let me know and I will ask her. She is the nicest person I have ever met (have no idea why she stayed friends with me) and is willing to give advice to help others. She managed everything I previously mentioned and still graduated as an anesthetist with three jobs offers at the age of 23 (yeah, she is a bit younger than me), I am so proud of her!!


    "Well behaved women rarely make history"
  7. Regular Member
    LoveConquers's Avatar
    LoveConquers is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    173
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I need all her advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing post-military



    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe scholarships and FASFA go hand-in-hand. I don't ever remember seeing a section on the FASFA application regarding scholarships, since it is income based.
    They're not hand in hand so that's why I'm wondering how funds would get disbursed. Guess I could ask the financial aid office.
  8. Regular Member
    anarchamom's Avatar
    anarchamom is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    179
    #18
    From what I recall, you get the amount you're awarded regardless of what you actually need... They send you a check and you then pay tuition. If you have leftovers, it's just your money. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a hot minute since I was in college.)

    I worked in the evenings and on weekends during my internship periods. My son stayed with family.
  9. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Ok so I get grants from FASFA, but if I were to get scholarships, am I still awarded cash from the grants and/or scholarships if there is left overs from the semester? I'm just worried about gas money and rent if I can't hold a part time job down without a sitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I need all her advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing post-military



    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe scholarships and FASFA go hand-in-hand. I don't ever remember seeing a section on the FASFA application regarding scholarships, since it is income based.
    First, I have to reiterate that it's possible to survive on grants, loans, and a part time job. I know it sounds scary but the reality is people do it all the time. I knew a girl in college that was finishing up her master's with full-time class at night, a 40-hour work week internship, planning a wedding, running our honorary society, AND working at the library. It can be done.

    Second, FAFSA and scholarships are two separate things. I think a good meeting, with lots of questions and time with a financial aid counselor will help you answer these questions. They have tons of experience and can put you in touch with other students who are in a similar situation! It's totally doable!
  10. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #20
    At my undergrad, some scholarships were administered through the university, and you would either be awarded it automatically (like for 4.0 high school gpa) or they would tell you that you were eligible and should apply. Then there were other ones independent of the university you had to find and apply for yourself.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •