Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth taking?

1. Regular Member

Is it worth taking?

Advertisements
    When would you consider a job worth taking? I have a job opportunity that would make a couple hundred dollars more per month, and it's really needed. But the down side is I'd have to start over on PTO and am not sure if the new job will accommodate many non PTO days off if I can go visit my DB for a week or so.

Plus, our time zones are opposite so taking this job will keep me more busy and less access to my phone, which makes me nervous about communication.

What would you guys do, should I keep looking for jobs? I'm currently working on my Bachelor's Degree so either way getting a decent paid job is hard to do.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If you need the extra money or the job is a better more for your career, then I say absolutely take it. Low PTO is only a temporary issues. You can always visit him over long weekends and holidays. As to access to your phone, maybe the new job will be lax with phone use. Even if it isn't you still have your lunch hour and bathroom breaks to send quick messages during.

I Eelizah
  3. Regular Member
    It's for child care and I believe it's a no phone policy. Also, he's located in a different country so it's harder to plan times I'll get to be with him. My current job has let me take up to 2 weeks off, so it's just so hard to prioritize.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If you really need the extra money I would lean toward taking it as well. If you have some vacation time already planned to visit your DB, that is something you could negotiate during the hiring process.

The no phone policy is a non-issue to me, just because I've hardly ever had jobs where it was ok for me to be on the phone during work. My previous job was as a teacher, so I only had access to my phone during breaks and lunches but my DH understood that it was just a part of working. I think most people are pretty reasonable about understanding that not everyone can be on their phone at work kwim?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Take the job. Everything long distance related with your DB is temporary.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Take the job, career and more money should take precedence.

Unless you plan to stay with a particular organization for lifetime, you will always experience starting over on PTO, i think most of us have (I know i have). You don't HAVE to go see him for a week at a time to make the relationship meaningful, seeing him on long weekends should suffice, until you get enough PTO to go for longer periods. Most organizations/companies frown upon a lot of non PTO days (meaning leave without pay or advanced leave) and it can have a negative affect on your career. Things to think about for now and future. These situations will arise more often than not.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Regular Member
    You're right. It's just hard to choose because I might only see him once every six months for the next two years so I'm just going through some huge adjustments. But, either way I guess it's unavoidable and I'll just have to hope for the best.
  8. Senior Member
    I would never not take a job because I couldn't have access to my phone. That is a terrible reason to not take a job, imo, LDR or not.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    something to add.... more and more companies are banning phones at the work place, so i would start getting used to a world (or job) that you cannot have your phone.
    at my place no phone and very limited internet... you are there to work, not socialize.

If your LDR is meant to be, it will last with minimal face-face contact..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    You're right. It's just hard to choose because I might only see him once every six months for the next two years so I'm just going through some huge adjustments. But, either way I guess it's unavoidable and I'll just have to hope for the best.
    Many many people in LDRs don't see each other very often just beacuse with jobs, families and the cost of traveling it can be very hard to make it happen more often. It will be hard, but if you both are in it for the long haul it will work. If not this will help you realize that.

Your priority should be ensuring stability for yourself and your child. Make this decision based on the big picture, not just where you're at in life right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast