Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A resilient career

1. Senior Member

A resilient career

Advertisements
    For starters, and I don't want to sound rude, but please do NOT post anything about mycaa or spouse career benefits unless asked for. I already have all the info on those programs.

Anyway! Currently I have a bachelors degree and work in child welfare as a social worker. I have a background in criminal justice and used to do paralegal and probation. My job is currently needed every where but the requirements per state for social work can verify and there are some states I cannot work in unless I have additional training.

Obviously, military life doesn't cater to the spouses career. So in everyone's experience what's the best career or company you've worked that was easy to move around with, say every 3 yrs (just as a what if). My SO is NG, but I am just generally curious on what type of resilient jobs spouses find, just for a little chit chat
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I got into my career a couple years before DH left the military so I don't have a ton of experience with it ... but my company also hires lots of military spouses so I know a lot of people who make it work for them. Anyway I do banking and insurance (now I'm just on the insurance side but I did banking for years). It's nice because it's something that people already need. I'm licensed in all 50 states so we get really broad training; it's a little annoying moving my resident license but not terrible, the company does most of the paperwork anyway. Our company is great in that we can work from home, so if there is a PCS your job can follow you where you go.

I would say the exception is overseas PCS ... one of my friends was in American Samoa for a year after her husband PCS'd there and I'm not exactly sure why but she wasn't able to work from home. They held her job for her though and as soon as she came back and got settled in, she was able to get back to work.
  3. Senior Member
    Nursing!

More and more states are swapping to the multi-state compact license so you don't have to do any retraining or license updates. Plus there is always a need for nurses, no matter how small the town is you may move to. You might not get the exact job you want, but you'll always be able to find work!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Regular Member
    I'm totally all for this chat! I don't have suggestions, but I'm hoping to hear some.

I'm in college and just got married to an airman. Right now I'm going for a bachelors in Environmental Science with a concentration in Fisheries and Wildlife, but lately I've been considering changing it to something that would travel better. I'm considering going into education/childcare since I would still enjoy it and it's much more common than wildlife jobs.

So, any suggestions would be great!
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It is a myth that military life doesn't cater to spouses. any career can be done anywhere, even the one that seem like they can't. Some just take a little more effort than others, such as teaching.. teachers are needed everywhere, but additional certifications or such may be required.

So, if the actual question is... what jobs are EASIEST when moving every three years, then that's more simple to answer.. retail, receptionist, IT, nursing, chef... those generally don't require any additional hoops to go through.. but all careers can be done in the military life and moving.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I got into my career a couple years before DH left the military so I don't have a ton of experience with it ... but my company also hires lots of military spouses so I know a lot of people who make it work for them. Anyway I do banking and insurance (now I'm just on the insurance side but I did banking for years). It's nice because it's something that people already need. I'm licensed in all 50 states so we get really broad training; it's a little annoying moving my resident license but not terrible, the company does most of the paperwork anyway. Our company is great in that we can work from home, so if there is a PCS your job can follow you where you go.

I would say the exception is overseas PCS ... one of my friends was in American Samoa for a year after her husband PCS'd there and I'm not exactly sure why but she wasn't able to work from home. They held her job for her though and as soon as she came back and got settled in, she was able to get back to work.
    That sounds like such an awesome company to work for! Never heard of one holding your job until you get back from PCS.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Nursing!

More and more states are swapping to the multi-state compact license so you don't have to do any retraining or license updates. Plus there is always a need for nurses, no matter how small the town is you may move to. You might not get the exact job you want, but you'll always be able to find work!
    Are you a nurse? Ive thought about becoming a nurse for years, but I just dont know. I like what I do too... Im terrified of the math part of nursing, I failed math multiple times, it just does not click for me.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    That sounds like such an awesome company to work for! Never heard of one holding your job until you get back from PCS.
    I was still pretty new when that happened and I was so happy she had her job when she came back! I will say I believe it is on a case by case basis, but she was a hard worker and really did a good job so I know the company wanted to keep their investment in her too. It's definitely motivation to do your best when there are perks like that!
  9. Senior Member
    If you want to stay in your career field I'd suggest getting your MSW. Makes you more desirable to the majority of organizations in almost every state.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Are you a nurse? Ive thought about becoming a nurse for years, but I just dont know. I like what I do too... Im terrified of the math part of nursing, I failed math multiple times, it just does not click for me.
    I am! I really enjoy it. I'm taking time off right now to stay home with my two little ones. It's an amazingly portable career. I've heard that it can be difficult to find positions overseas, but I think the job market for most positions overseas is smaller.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast