Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A resilient career

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    That sounds like such an awesome company to work for! Never heard of one holding your job until you get back from PCS.
    Nursing math is seriously the most basic college math.

ETA: I have a friend who is a travel social worker so that seems fairly portable to me? Plus moving every 3 years as a social worker seems Slower than average for the turn over for social workers at least at my hospital?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBitterSpouse View Post
    Law Enforcement is definitely a career path that is not military spouse friendly. It takes 9-12 months to get hired, then 18-23 weeks of basic training, then 12-24 months probation, after 2 or 3 moves no one wants to waste the money investing in you anymore, they don't see a return on the investment when your just going to move again. Our creds are not included in that legislation that encourages the reciprocity amongst states. Almost every state has the ability to accept another states creds for LE, but no one practices it. Plus every time you move you lose your retirement unless your vested and that takes 5 years or more depending on the agency and you may not be able to receive social security when your of age because many agencies don't have you pay into it. I could go on with the issues this field has, but they are lengthy.

Joining the Feds is an option, but you have to join the MCIOs to be able to be stationed with your spouse. Even then you end up with PCS moves away from your SO because not every base has a position available for Fed LEO's.

It is a hot mess every time....
    My husband is an LEO (not through the military)... and LEO life sucks! As a spouse I would never get into law enforcement if my SO was in the military. Too hard to get hired anywhere. I can only image how hot of a mess it is.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    bullshit. It's not a myth. The military doesn't cater to spouses. It does not. It is geared for spouses who stay at home and generally have kids. The FRG events are during the days, military posts are generally in the middle of no where, the constant moving makes stability and continuity hard, and certain areas are difficult to find jobs in. It's easier to have certain jobs, like child care, but having an actual career is difficult Ask Vill, she constantly talks about how the prolonged overseas tours effectively ended her career for her.

To the OP, I'm not much help because I'm going to law school and moving as a lawyer can be difficult. I plan to do JAG until DH is on his last duty station and then it's his turn to follow me wherever I need/want to go. Jobs in public service seem easier to move, child care, policing (but not police officer, more CRJ jobs), nursing, etc. so long as the state you're moving to doesn't have extra requirements or testing.
    Totally agree! I feel that if the military could make it so no one in the military had spouses or a family to go home to they would like it better. We are called "Dependas" for a reason in the military and they could care less about us, our careers, etc.
  4. Senior Member
    Pulling up an old thread.... What have spouses who have been overseas find as a career or job while stationed there?
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Pulling up an old thread.... What have spouses who have been overseas find as a career or job while stationed there?
    Yeah I'm interested in social work or some type of counseling career to be specific!
  6. Regular Member
    Count me as another for Nursing! Even states that are not compact states make it fairly easy to switch your license. Nursing math is not terrible in my opinion, but I love math. Also, every program is a little different. In mine, I had to pass all nursing tests with 100% (two tries to do so) and I think everyone had passed in my program so it can't be that bad!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Yeah I'm interested in social work or some type of counseling career to be specific!
    Im a social worker, its not all cracked up like some people say. Its lots and lots of paper work, being under the microscope for every little thing you do and say, also being blamed for everything... you have to have some pretty thick skin to be in certain types of social work, but it does have its benefits too so dont take this as I hate my job, but it is very stressful most of the time.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234