Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: A resilient career

  1. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,324
    #21
    Advertisements
    my doula business can travel.

    being a paramedic is a little more difficult. There is national registry and state license, so I can let my national registry go once I'm licensed with the state, which I have to double check on, I may have allowed it to expire since I didn't know dh was going to attempt going active again. This would require me to take a refresher course.

    The big problem I have, is what career could I do that would justify paying child care? I used to work nights and dh went to school during the day so there was always someone home with the kids. When he is gone, it's all me.
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,257
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    my doula business can travel.

    being a paramedic is a little more difficult. There is national registry and state license, so I can let my national registry go once I'm licensed with the state, which I have to double check on, I may have allowed it to expire since I didn't know dh was going to attempt going active again. This would require me to take a refresher course.

    The big problem I have, is what career could I do that would justify paying child care? I used to work nights and dh went to school during the day so there was always someone home with the kids. When he is gone, it's all me.
    I often work nights too. The web of favours and bribes I juggle so that someone will keep my kids from accidentally blowing up the house when I have to work and he isn't home is almost a work of art in itself.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Regular Member
    TheBitterSpouse's Avatar
    TheBitterSpouse is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    135
    #23
    Law Enforcement is definitely a career path that is not military spouse friendly. It takes 9-12 months to get hired, then 18-23 weeks of basic training, then 12-24 months probation, after 2 or 3 moves no one wants to waste the money investing in you anymore, they don't see a return on the investment when your just going to move again. Our creds are not included in that legislation that encourages the reciprocity amongst states. Almost every state has the ability to accept another states creds for LE, but no one practices it. Plus every time you move you lose your retirement unless your vested and that takes 5 years or more depending on the agency and you may not be able to receive social security when your of age because many agencies don't have you pay into it. I could go on with the issues this field has, but they are lengthy.

    Joining the Feds is an option, but you have to join the MCIOs to be able to be stationed with your spouse. Even then you end up with PCS moves away from your SO because not every base has a position available for Fed LEO's.

    It is a hot mess every time....


    "Well behaved women rarely make history"
  4. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    It is a myth that military life doesn't cater to spouses. any career can be done anywhere, even the one that seem like they can't. Some just take a little more effort than others, such as teaching.. teachers are needed everywhere, but additional certifications or such may be required.

    So, if the actual question is... what jobs are EASIEST when moving every three years, then that's more simple to answer.. retail, receptionist, IT, nursing, chef... those generally don't require any additional hoops to go through.. but all careers can be done in the military life and moving.
    bullshit. It's not a myth. The military doesn't cater to spouses. It does not. It is geared for spouses who stay at home and generally have kids. The FRG events are during the days, military posts are generally in the middle of no where, the constant moving makes stability and continuity hard, and certain areas are difficult to find jobs in. It's easier to have certain jobs, like child care, but having an actual career is difficult Ask Vill, she constantly talks about how the prolonged overseas tours effectively ended her career for her.


    To the OP, I'm not much help because I'm going to law school and moving as a lawyer can be difficult. I plan to do JAG until DH is on his last duty station and then it's his turn to follow me wherever I need/want to go. Jobs in public service seem easier to move, child care, policing (but not police officer, more CRJ jobs), nursing, etc. so long as the state you're moving to doesn't have extra requirements or testing.


  5. Regular Member
    TheBitterSpouse's Avatar
    TheBitterSpouse is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    135
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    bullshit. It's not a myth. The military doesn't cater to spouses. It does not. It is geared for spouses who stay at home and generally have kids. The FRG events are during the days, military posts are generally in the middle of no where, the constant moving makes stability and continuity hard, and certain areas are difficult to find jobs in. It's easier to have certain jobs, like child care, but having an actual career is difficult Ask Vill, she constantly talks about how the prolonged overseas tours effectively ended her career for her.


    To the OP, I'm not much help because I'm going to law school and moving as a lawyer can be difficult. I plan to do JAG until DH is on his last duty station and then it's his turn to follow me wherever I need/want to go. Jobs in public service seem easier to move, child care, policing (but not police officer, more CRJ jobs), nursing, etc. so long as the state you're moving to doesn't have extra requirements or testing.
    100% Agree!!!


    "Well behaved women rarely make history"
  6. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    bullshit. It's not a myth. The military doesn't cater to spouses. It does not. It is geared for spouses who stay at home and generally have kids. The FRG events are during the days, military posts are generally in the middle of no where, the constant moving makes stability and continuity hard, and certain areas are difficult to find jobs in. It's easier to have certain jobs, like child care, but having an actual career is difficult Ask Vill, she constantly talks about how the prolonged overseas tours effectively ended her career for her.


    To the OP, I'm not much help because I'm going to law school and moving as a lawyer can be difficult. I plan to do JAG until DH is on his last duty station and then it's his turn to follow me wherever I need/want to go. Jobs in public service seem easier to move, child care, policing (but not police officer, more CRJ jobs), nursing, etc. so long as the state you're moving to doesn't have extra requirements or testing.
    Lol seriously. When I used Tricare, they wouldn't even let me pick out my appointment times to be more convenient for my work schedule. They would call and say "Your MRI is at 10:30" and if I tried to reschedule they would tell me they were too busy to allow it. Trying to explain that to my boss was fun "Sorry I know I keep missing meetings but my healthcare literally won't let me pick times that work well for me"

    Not to mention everything else you said.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Lol seriously. When I used Tricare, they wouldn't even let me pick out my appointment times to be more convenient for my work schedule. They would call and say "Your MRI is at 10:30" and if I tried to reschedule they would tell me they were too busy to allow it. Trying to explain that to my boss was fun "Sorry I know I keep missing meetings but my healthcare literally won't let me pick times that work well for me"

    Not to mention everything else you said.
    In undergrad I missed 3 classes because of doctor's appointments, I had notes and everything. The professor told me I couldn't miss anymore class or he would dock my grade, and I gave him the doctor's notes. He said it wasn't an excuse :| that I could get different appointments. I tried to explain tricare to him, but he was from China and I don't think he understood. It was such BS. You call for an appointment, and all they have is a Tuesday afternoon at 1 pm in 3 weeks and nothing available for 2 months after that. So irritating.


  8. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    bullshit. It's not a myth. The military doesn't cater to spouses. It does not. It is geared for spouses who stay at home and generally have kids. The FRG events are during the days, military posts are generally in the middle of no where, the constant moving makes stability and continuity hard, and certain areas are difficult to find jobs in. It's easier to have certain jobs, like child care, but having an actual career is difficult Ask Vill, she constantly talks about how the prolonged overseas tours effectively ended her career for her.


    To the OP, I'm not much help because I'm going to law school and moving as a lawyer can be difficult. I plan to do JAG until DH is on his last duty station and then it's his turn to follow me wherever I need/want to go. Jobs in public service seem easier to move, child care, policing (but not police officer, more CRJ jobs), nursing, etc. so long as the state you're moving to doesn't have extra requirements or testing.
    Completely agree. It does not cater to spouses. In fact, it does not even cater to active duty!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Regular Member
    TheBitterSpouse's Avatar
    TheBitterSpouse is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    135
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Completely agree. It does not cater to spouses. In fact, it does not even cater to active duty!
    That is the truth! It has been 10 years of appts and claims and mountains of paper work, but DH finally is getting treatment for his ear and shoulder that were injured while deployed. I thought he was going to beat the hell out of the doc that told him last week "you have hearing loss due to damage caused by concussion consistent with the effects of explosives, you should have taken care of this sooner"... I know DH was like a bull seeing red.


    "Well behaved women rarely make history"
  10. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBitterSpouse View Post
    That is the truth! It has been 10 years of appts and claims and mountains of paper work, but DH finally is getting treatment for his ear and shoulder that were injured while deployed. I thought he was going to beat the hell out of the doc that told him last week "you have hearing loss due to damage caused by concussion consistent with the effects of explosives, you should have taken care of this sooner"... I know DH was like a bull seeing red.
    Yes. I love Tricare for myself/kids. We've had wonderful experiences with only a few minor blips that probably would have happened with 'regular' insurance. For AD, however? Not so much.

    DH has a knee problem. He's a flyer and is up and down all the time and is on a 'not so smooth' airframe. He's gone to docs at two bases over this and PT is ALWAYS the answer. PT who pokes around and says 'oh it's this' or 'oh it's that' (something different each time) without requesting any sort of scan. It's driving me slowly crazy.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •