Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A resilient career

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Nursing!

More and more states are swapping to the multi-state compact license so you don't have to do any retraining or license updates. Plus there is always a need for nurses, no matter how small the town is you may move to. You might not get the exact job you want, but you'll always be able to find work!
    I second this ... I have never had a problem finding a job.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I know a military spouse who is a massage therapist. That seems to be useful pretty much anywhere!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I know a military spouse who is a massage therapist. That seems to be useful pretty much anywhere!
    Oh I could see that. I have my cosmetology license too so I can really go anywhere... but I just do it on the side, not my favorite thing to do. I couldn't do massage therapist because I dont like being that invasive into peoples bubbles. LOL
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Chef it.

It's always worked for me. Anywhere there are people, there must be food - whether that's fine dining, something simpler like a pub kitchen, a hotel, industrial scale like for a hospital, even the occasional personal chef role (which I've seen advertised but never taken up) or catering...there's always food. Where there's food, I can work.

And with the current shortage (there's damn near a global drought of qualified people willing to work in kitchens, because it's hard on your body and the hours are deeply antisocial), I'm suddenly very valuable. It's nice to be wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I once knew a music teacher. As soon as they got somewhere new, she'd just quietly set up shop and get a little cloud of new students. It was genius.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Regular Member
    I work as a veterinary technician and have been able to find a job in every town we have lived in. My degree is an associates from a community college but I have kept up on my continuing education and experienced technicians at animal hospitals are always in demand!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Chef it.

It's always worked for me. Anywhere there are people, there must be food - whether that's fine dining, something simpler like a pub kitchen, a hotel, industrial scale like for a hospital, even the occasional personal chef role (which I've seen advertised but never taken up) or catering...there's always food. Where there's food, I can work.

And with the current shortage (there's damn near a global drought of qualified people willing to work in kitchens, because it's hard on your body and the hours are deeply antisocial), I'm suddenly very valuable. It's nice to be wanted.

I once knew a music teacher. As soon as they got somewhere new, she'd just quietly set up shop and get a little cloud of new students. It was genius.
    And because every cook out there thinks they can be a celebrity chef, so no one wants to put in the miserable hours at the low pay doing the tough work in the miserable conditions of most professional kitchens. They were sold on a glamour which doesn't exist, and the promise of a life of ease and celebrity, which barely exists, and only for a very few, and after decades of hard work, starting at the bottom. Few chefs are willing to start out scrubbing pots!

Oh, but to answer the OP's question. Avoid careers which require a new license and exams for each state. Anything internet/coding is good.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    And because every cook out there thinks they can be a celebrity chef, so no one wants to put in the miserable hours at the low pay doing the tough work in the miserable conditions of most professional kitchens. They were sold on a glamour which doesn't exist, and the promise of a life of ease and celebrity, which barely exists, and only for a very few, and after decades of hard work, starting at the bottom. Few chefs are willing to start out scrubbing pots!

Oh, but to answer the OP's question. Avoid careers which require a new license and exams for each state. Anything internet/coding is good.
    Mm, that too. There are always a few who think like that, especially now with the explosion in glossy cookbooks and Masterchef and such. Everyone thinks they can do my job, just because they can cook well for their family at home. Whenever I happen to see one of those Masterchef-type shows (I rarely watch them) it's always crawling with lawyers who dream of a less full on career, which I find hysterical - honey, if you swap, you're not going to be working any less hours than you were as a barrister!

Everyone thinks they'll be the new Jamie Oliver (who spent a ludicrously small amount of time on the line, but only because a TV producer spotted him and thought he was cute) and...not so much.

They never last long. The last one I saw before leaving because I was Too Pregnant To Function went home in a sulk and didn't come back.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Mm, that too. There are always a few who think like that, especially now with the explosion in glossy cookbooks and Masterchef and such. Everyone thinks they can do my job, just because they can cook well for their family at home. Whenever I happen to see one of those Masterchef-type shows (I rarely watch them) it's always crawling with lawyers who dream of a less full on career, which I find hysterical - honey, if you swap, you're not going to be working any less hours than you were as a barrister!

Everyone thinks they'll be the new Jamie Oliver (who spent a ludicrously small amount of time on the line, but only because a TV producer spotted him and thought he was cute) and...not so much.

They never last long. The last one I saw before leaving because I was Too Pregnant To Function went home in a sulk and didn't come back.
    Hey, us "barristers" would stick around if they let us wear those silly wigs here in the us....which gives me an idea....
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

...the military as well

Jk don't do that! I just switched my major from psychology to economics, just to finish my degree since I'm so close, and will go back to school for nursing when I'm out of the military for this reason. I wanted to do nursing since I was a freshman in HS, but my husband striving for career military solidified my decision.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post

I have certificates/license in Cosmetology and CNA, but there is some clause that some states have that you dont have to pay or retake the exams if you move due to military PCS, which is nice.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast