Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Torn on a job offer

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    14.24%

Torn on a job offer

Advertisements
    I have been trying to find a job since we moved to Jacksonville--almost 2 months now--today I finally get offered one; a really interesting, good one and I don't know if I should accept it or not. The pay is better than other things I have interviewed for here but still not amazing and now being pregnant I'm just so torn.

A large part of me really wants to stay home--and our budget does allow for that--but part of me knows that the extra income would obviously be nice. I'm also hesitant to start a new job knowing that in 8 months at the most (assuming no issues that would require me to be home early) I'm going to be on maternity leave; it makes me feel like I'm lying to the employer to start now and not tell them but I also don't really want to share this with strangers right now.

The other problem with this job is that it does require a good amount of travel--when I applied it was just DH, the dogs and I so if I had to travel while DH was gone I would just board the dogs but you obviously can't board a baby. Honestly it looks like he is going to be gone either underway, deployed or in the yards the majority of the time we're in Jacksonville so I kind of feel like that makes me almost unable to successfully do this job because if he is gone I can't travel. We don't have family here and even if we did I honestly couldn't pawn my child off on my parents often.

I know this is long and probably rambly I just don't know what to do. Obviously I'm going to talk to DH about it when he gets home but they want an answer today...

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    28.49%
    If the job required you to travel, Me that is going to be difficult with the dogs and kid, I wouldn't take it. But I'd explain why.
    Why did you apply for it?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    76.73%
    Wouldn't take a travel job with a baby in a brand-new city. I was here for a whole year before I accepted a job that would work out the best for me.
    Also, welcome to Jax.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    56.39%
    Yeah this doesn't sound right for you at all. You're not gonna be able to make a travel job work with a new baby and a deployed husband, and if that's a requirement of the job it means you can't take it.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    43.88%
    I wouldn't take it either. I would just explain to them that your situation has changed since applying for it.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    66.48%
    Here's what I do... sit in a quiet room and just sit. Try not to think of anything. The answer will come to you. I feel that you already know you're answer whether its taking it or not, you are just doubting yourself so therefore you are going back and forth. Listen to your gut... its telling you the answer. From your post I feel like you want to turn it down than take it. I could be wrong, but there was a lot more cons in the post then pros regarding the job.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    14.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    If the job required you to travel, Me that is going to be difficult with the dogs and kid, I wouldn't take it. But I'd explain why.
    Why did you apply for it?
    I applied for it before leaving DC...long before I was pregnant and before we knew my husband's deployment schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by anarchamom View Post
    Wouldn't take a travel job with a baby in a brand-new city. I was here for a whole year before I accepted a job that would work out the best for me.
    Also, welcome to Jax.
    thanks I didn't know you're in Jax too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah this doesn't sound right for you at all. You're not gonna be able to make a travel job work with a new baby and a deployed husband, and if that's a requirement of the job it means you can't take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    I wouldn't take it either. I would just explain to them that your situation has changed since applying for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Here's what I do... sit in a quiet room and just sit. Try not to think of anything. The answer will come to you. I feel that you already know you're answer whether its taking it or not, you are just doubting yourself so therefore you are going back and forth. Listen to your gut... its telling you the answer. From your post I feel like you want to turn it down than take it. I could be wrong, but there was a lot more cons in the post then pros regarding the job.
    thanks everyone. I emailed them this morning turning it down--AdaraMarie you were right I knew I wanted to turn it down because that made the most sense. After talking to DH about it we decided it's best not to take it. It is an awesome job and an awesome opportunity and two weeks ago I would've accepted it in a heartbeat but it just doesn't work for my family right now sadly.