Thread: Anyone gave up their career?

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    33.11%

Anyone gave up their career?

Advertisements
    Hey guys,

I am really struggling!
    Let me shortly tell you about my background before I ask my question that is probably already obvious.

I am about to be 33yo and I dedicated my life to my career in hotels. I have worked my way up in several different countries. I am currently in Germany where I also met my now fiance. We were supposed to get married in February but some things happened along with his deployment so we rescheduled for October when he is back.
    In November, I decided to quit my job as a General Manager at a 5* hotel due to several unpleasant reasons and really started thinking of what I could do while being married to my man and living on post. Since he had to deploy, I decided to work some more on part time basis along with my nail business ( I am a certified nail tech as well). This plan was awesome until I received a job offer from a company that provides hotels with products that are #1 in the world. The offer was too good to be true and hard to turn down. So yea, its the end of April, I am working as a sales manager for Eastern Europe, I sell a product that basically sells itself and considering I have a strong hotel background, I don' really have to put any effort in selling pitches. I travel, I meet interesting people, I get more job offers, I am making a beautiful paycheck....this job is everything I ever wished for.
    I know i will be able to keep this job and work from home once my babe gets back. he even sacrificed himself and he is extending his stay in Germany for one more year but I am already thinking of my life once we leave. I know I might sound selfish but I am terrified of being a stay at home mom.

So my question is....Anyone out here had to give up on their dream job as well? How did you cope with it?
    Last edited by kaywalton; 04-28-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.94%
    Fuck no. Sacrificing one year of his time in Germany is not in any way comparable to giving up your career forever. If you love your job, keep it.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    33.11%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Fuck no. Sacrificing one year of his time in Germany is not in any way comparable to giving up your career forever. If you love your job, keep it.
    problem is, I dont think I will be able to keep my job. I know my company is trying to expand more in the states but it would involve lots of traveling and I am just not sure it would be possible. That is why I am struggling so much. I will have to give this up and I am already sad about it.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.94%
    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalton View Post
    problem is, I dont think I will be able to keep my job. I know my company is trying to expand more in the states but it would involve lots of traveling and I am just not sure it would be possible. That is why I am struggling so much. I will have to give this up and I am already sad about it.
    Couldn't you still work in the industry? I'd be extremely hesitant to give up a career I worked hard for and enjoy just because I'm getting married. Like I would most likely choose my job over the guy kind of extremely hesitant.
  5. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Couldn't you still work in the industry? I'd be extremely hesitant to give up a career I worked hard for and enjoy just because I'm getting married. Like I would most likely choose my job over the guy kind of extremely hesitant.
    This. The hospitality industry is ENORMOUS, global and frequently understaffed. You may leave this particular job and move to another company if your current one can't keep you, but if you're even half as good as you say you are then someone would want you. Giving up a whole career that you say you love...you don't have to do that.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    98.56%
    I didn't "give up" my career. I made a decision to stay at home, care for the home and finances and make a family. I knew I couldn't do it the way I wanted if I worked my choice career (16 hr days at a vet clinic). I feel like everyone makes the decision that is best for the family as a whole. If you look at this as you're giving it up, then it will leave a sour taste in your mouth.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    56.75%
    I'm not seeing why you have to give up anything
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    62.42%
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkenbrandt View Post
    I didn't "give up" my career. I made a decision to stay at home, care for the home and finances and make a family. I knew I couldn't do it the way I wanted if I worked my choice career (16 hr days at a vet clinic). I feel like everyone makes the decision that is best for the family as a whole. If you look at this as you're giving it up, then it will leave a sour taste in your mouth.
    This is put beautifully.

I am a firefighter/paramedic and a doula. I left my last job after butting heads with new management (gave them my blood sweat and sanity and I got shafted left and right). I cannot start the process with a fire department because it is a longer hiring process and by the time I would be hired, we would be gone.
    I was told by the local doula agency that I'm not going to be here long enough to be worth hiring.
    I also considered nursing school, I would love to be a labor and delivery nurse and work up to being a midwife.
    All the programs available are not doable for the time we will be here.
    I'm also pregnant with our fourth child, so you can imagine how some employers would look at hiring me...
    I also make just enough that we cannot justify paying for child care.
    I have an associate degree in fire protection and a bachelors degree in emergency management, which sometimes I feel are wasted.

I mean, the situation is different if you have kids and what you make.
    I'm still getting used to being a stay at home mother and finding purpose, personally, I am volunteering for the USO to feel like I'm contributing to something.
  9. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    47.46%
    I don't think it's wise to give up a career for a man but I was raised to be this way so it was never really an option to me. That being said I think it's too early to be worrying about it. A lot can happen in a year. You may not be together, you may not like your job when it's time to quit, you may be pregnant with triplets and want to stay at home. Just enjoy the now.

10. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%
    I gave up my career to move with my husband and have regretted it every day since, but my career field is 100% not mobile or military spouse friendly. I am working in a different position in my field, I do not enjoy it but it is the only thing I can do to make close to the salary I was accustom to. We can't afford for me to stay at home and I can't stress this enough, I DON'T WANT TO STAY HOME, I enjoy what little sanity I have maintained. I am just not cut out for the stay at home mom role.

Could you inquiry as to whether or not you could telework if you all were to move? I have met a few spouses who worked for companies in the hospitality (accounting fields) industries who asked to be mobile and their requests were granted. It sounds like you will be working from home, so what does it matter if it is from home in Germany or home somewhere else?

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast