Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reference Check help

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Reference Check help

Advertisements
    Do we have anyone who does HR/hiring? I'm getting promoted at my job and they have to do a reference check with 3 previous employers. I only have 3 previous employers including this employer in a previous position. 1 of the 3 is at a business that is no longer owned by the same company. I have been able to track down one of my supervisors, but they don't work there anymore and so will not have employment records to reference. I feel comfortable contacting this person and reminding them of when I worked and I'm sure he'd give me a good reference, but I want to be sure this will be enough for the check. Do they reference checks usually require exact dates? Is it ok for me to contact the person ahead of time? I worked at this place for a year in 2013, so it's been a while. They are requiring that it's from a place where I had a paid position, so I'm pretty limited.

I Eelizah
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Absolutely contact them! I've hired people and been a reference for past employees. Nothing confuses me more than when I'm getting a call out of the blue about a former employee that didn't contact me in advance. Plus, unless the EE gives me permission all I can tell the person is that they worked for me from X to Y date.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Absolutely contact them! I've hired people and been a reference for past employees. Nothing confuses me more than when I'm getting a call out of the blue about a former employee that didn't contact me in advance. Plus, unless the EE gives me permission all I can tell the person is that they worked for me from X to Y date.
    Do they require an exact date or is it ok to say June of x to July of y?

I Eelizah
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Do they require an exact date or is it ok to say June of x to July of y?
    I think that would depend on the company. I've never been asked for a specific date. I'm lucky if I can remember years!