Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Military SO Career Development Seminars

1. Regular Member

Confused Military SO Career Development Seminars

Advertisements
    I just signed up for the Amplify Career Seminar for military spouses and am also planning to check out the career development seminar being held here at Quantico, was wondering if any of you have been to one and what you thought of it.

I met with someone 4 years ago that was supposed to specialize in MSO career development, but as soon as sure heard what my career was she was lost. She only had experience with helping people get enrolled in school, those who were starting entry level, or those who were starting out on first time jobs needing employment experience. So it ended up being a massive waste of my time and rather aggravating.

Trying to be positive and try again...(chanting "think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts")
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A few years ago I went to some conference thing for women in business, and since we live in a military town they had a workshop on career development. Honestly I don't think it was anything I couldn't have found from googling online though. I guess it was nice getting to talk to people who made it work for them, but most of them seemed to work for pretty portable industries or they were at director-level positions in companies with a national presence so it wasn't a big deal for them to relocate.

I think you are right that your industry will have a lot to do with how helpful these types of seminars can be. A lot of the people attending basically seemed like they would have been happy with having a guaranteed 40 hour work week and not have to flip burgers/wait tables/work retail to do it. (Not that there's anything wrong with those positions, but that's not what I expect when I think of career development).

I hope this one is more productive for you! Not sure what your field is but I know it can be really hard moving forward in a career when your SO is military.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    A few years ago I went to some conference thing for women in business, and since we live in a military town they had a workshop on career development. Honestly I don't think it was anything I couldn't have found from googling online though. I guess it was nice getting to talk to people who made it work for them, but most of them seemed to work for pretty portable industries or they were at director-level positions in companies with a national presence so it wasn't a big deal for them to relocate.

I think you are right that your industry will have a lot to do with how helpful these types of seminars can be. A lot of the people attending basically seemed like they would have been happy with having a guaranteed 40 hour work week and not have to flip burgers/wait tables/work retail to do it. (Not that there's anything wrong with those positions, but that's not what I expect when I think of career development).

I hope this one is more productive for you! Not sure what your field is but I know it can be really hard moving forward in a career when your SO is military.
    My field is SOOOOOO NOT MILITARY SPOUSE FRIENDLY!!! I know they can't help me in my specific field (Law Enforcement), but I guess I am looking for more of the networking and for some experts to help me improve my resume writing again. I just don't want to get there and have someone trying to sign me up to sell Scentsy (yeah, this also happened to me at the career center, like the stuff, don't want to sell any of it) or a 20 year old who has never written a resume giving me a canned lecture on what to do.

I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with flipping burgers, working retail, waitressing, but that was me 15 years ago. I have moved on and I did not enjoy those jobs. Anyone of you who waitress, holy crap you have my respect because you all put up with some real turd customers sometimes. People who I always kissed up to were nurses (in case I was hurt), the girl at the coffee shop who made my coffee, and the cook who made my food during my shift, you do not want to piss these people off, ever!
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitterSpouse View Post
    My field is SOOOOOO NOT MILITARY SPOUSE FRIENDLY!!! I know they can't help me in my specific field (Law Enforcement), but I guess I am looking for more of the networking and for some experts to help me improve my resume writing again. I just don't want to get there and have someone trying to sign me up to sell Scentsy (yeah, this also happened to me at the career center, like the stuff, don't want to sell any of it) or a 20 year old who has never written a resume giving me a canned lecture on what to do.

I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with flipping burgers, working retail, waitressing, but that was me 15 years ago. I have moved on and I did not enjoy those jobs. Anyone of you who waitress, holy crap you have my respect because you all put up with some real turd customers sometimes. People who I always kissed up to were nurses (in case I was hurt), the girl at the coffee shop who made my coffee, and the cook who made my food during my shift, you do not want to piss these people off, ever!
    There were SO MANY booths that were just people selling their MLM stuff! That part did aggravate me, especially when they would walk the floor trying to bother people to buy it (apparently that was against the rules though and the staff shut it down when people complained). I guess doing that is portable but ... yeah. Not what I was looking for.

I'm with you that I think networking and resume writing are much more useful. Interview skills and mock interviews are really helpful too! Those are the kinds of things I would want to see at a career development seminar.
  5. Regular Member
    Oh Lordy, I received an email from the conference stating they have found someone in my field to network with, but apparently they did not read my resume or any of my paperwork as it is someone from the agency I am currently with!

I keep thinking of backing out of this thing as I keep getting the feeling it will be a waste of money and a waste of my leave, but I will also kick myself in the butt if I miss an opportunity to network with a good agency. I swear I am going to drive my self crazy over this.
  6. Senior Member
    Check out IVMF (Institute for Veterans and Military Families) at Syracuse University. They have some really great resources and I know they hold workshops and have some base representatives. I think it helps that they are university and not military affiliated.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Check out IVMF (Institute for Veterans and Military Families) at Syracuse University. They have some really great resources and I know they hold workshops and have some base representatives. I think it helps that they are university and not military affiliated.
    I looked into them before and everything was for training to enter a field (my field was not covered), but I don't lack training or degrees. Most of the Veteran programs are for entry level positions, my problem is I am not entry level and I have to get credentials all over again every time we move.

I will check them out again and see if they have added anything to their programs, never hurts to keep checking back! Thank you for your help!

"Well behaved women rarely make history"