Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New job in a new place?

1. Senior Member

New job in a new place?

Advertisements
    How have you all found jobs in the past, when moving to a new place?

I have been applying at positions around Hood for 3 weeks, and haven't received a single call back. I'm getting pretty antsy, to be honest. I have never NOT worked and it is essential that I do, as I don't think we could be a one-income family right now. I understand I'll need to interview once we get there, but not having any calls back yet is making my anxiety rise.

I have been using Indeed and the hospital websites to apply at positions. I'm wondering if it's because we don't have a TX address yet.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    From my experience, 3 weeks isn't that much time and they may have just not gotten to review your application quite yet. Fingers crossed!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    From my experience, 3 weeks isn't that much time and they may have just not gotten to review your application quite yet. Fingers crossed!
    Thank you!! That's a good point!
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Thank you!! That's a good point!
    I know it seems like for-e-ver when you're waiting to hear back. It took me weeeeeks to hear back since I was applying for new stuff in December and lots of people were on holiday. Just keep on applying - worst you'll have to do is turn someone down for taking too long when you've accepted something else!
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I agree that's not very long. Dunno what kind of jobs you're applying for but at my work sometimes it takes HR more than 3 weeks to even sort through the resumes, much less pass them on to us so we can start reaching out to people. Hang in there!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    When I apply for new jobs, I will apply, wait about a week or two and then call to "check on the status of my application" that will MAKE them look for your name and application. Kind of putting a little bug in their ear about you. I found when we lived in NM that their application process was extremely slow. After almost 7 months later I am still getting emails regarding my status of some applications (and we dont even live there anymore) 3 weeks would be a good time to reach out to the places you applied to. Some you might be able to get some advice from on how the area generally works with applications. If all else fails, do you have a "fall back" skill you can find a job in quickly, like hair, barista, waitress, receptionist...
  7. Senior Member
    I don't know what positions you're applying for, but hospitals can be the worrrrst. At our last base I applied at the hospital and called for updates/waited over six weeks. I finally applied somewhere else and was hired and started within a week and the hospital still didn't contact me for even an interview until another week after that.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I agree with this. They may honestly not have got through the pile yet. Especially not if they're dealing with a LOT of newly arrived candidates like you - not having a local address yet would slow things down (they need to check) and if nobody has one...

As for how I usually line up work...it's kind of industry specific, and probably doesn't work in other scenarios!
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    How have you all found jobs in the past, when moving to a new place?

I have been applying at positions around Hood for 3 weeks, and haven't received a single call back. I'm getting pretty antsy, to be honest. I have never NOT worked and it is essential that I do, as I don't think we could be a one-income family right now. I understand I'll need to interview once we get there, but not having any calls back yet is making my anxiety rise.

I have been using Indeed and the hospital websites to apply at positions. I'm wondering if it's because we don't have a TX address yet.
    First of all, congratulations. I hope you like your new place! I am at Bragg now and was at Hood a few years ago and I see you're about to leave Bragg...it seems like everybody has to go to these large bases.
    I have always found a job so do not ever give up! Got my first job at Hood and it was not easy to find it. I've never had a great job but there has always been something with flex hours I need for family reasons just like most other spouses with young kids. Please don't be discouraged if it's not in your field...some jobs are still enjoyable. I remember I applied to 100+ jobs in the Fort Hood area in 3-4 weeks. I don't want to sound negative but please don't be surprised if they offer you something close to min. wage because almost all non-govt jobs are like that over there. I volunteered for a long time there and I was looking in the meantime and then all of a sudden, I got a part-time job. 3 weeks cannot be considered a long time. It usually takes me longer (I'm saying "takes" because I move frequently). My shortest wait time was near Ft Bragg last year but I really take anything that I get hired for with good part-time hours (low wage service jobs) so it is realistic to say even a few months are fine when you want to get into a certain field. Many times they prefer volunteer work. It depends on what you want to do. It's not your fault if they ignore your emails/calls. Most companies these days do not even notify you if you don't get hired. Just make sure you apply to as many positions as possible. Keep applying and check cities nearby...there are many medical facilities in Killeen, Harker Heights, Temple, Cove. They do have tons of jobs in the medical field (unfortunately, I don't have any info on medical professions because it's not my field). If you have any general questions about Hood, just let me know. That whole place is huge and keeps on growing day by day. They have several hospitals, urgent cares and clinics in general.
    Last edited by InGermany; 04-05-2017 at 06:30 PM.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It took me a long time to find a job when we moved here too. I started out subbing, which isn't bad but I hated the uncertain nature of it and the pay wasn't great. If you have a degree you will qualify though and they are usually looking to hire in my experience. Even over the summer there are classes going on.

I wish my company was hiring but we're actually closing our location in Ft. Hood.

I hope you find something soon. But I agree with PPs it can take a while so don't give up! to you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast