Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TED Talks?

1. Senior Member

TED Talks?

Advertisements
    I've posted before about how I work for an engineering consulting firm which can be a very male dominated field. Well, we have a new initiative firm wide to support and promote women, in particular at work for retention and advancement. At the staff (entry level) we have a fair mix of women say almost half but by the time you get to middle management the gap starts to widen and then at the highest levels there are no women. Like really, a woman has never served on our 12 person executive board in the 40+ years of my company. We are doing a bunch of things firm wide and in my office for this initiative, but my component is organizing a TED talk every other month or so.

We have done two so far, one on body language and one on gender equality. They are actually drawing some attention and creating really good dialogue on equality, work/life balance, and leadership practice. So my question is, does anyone have any TED talks that they think would be a good fit? I'm trying to pick ones that have some mass appeal and will create some dialogue but aren't really controversial or ultra feminist.
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    There was one with Sheryl Sandberg (I think that's her name?) that might suit.

You could always revert to that time David Morrison got Very Annoyed about unprofessional behaviour. It worked on the army

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. This is the core. What are people in your workplace willing to accept?
  3. Senior Member
    There are several TED talks on maternity leave. One of those might be relevant.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    There was one with Sheryl Sandberg (I think that's her name?) that might suit.

You could always revert to that time David Morrison got Very Annoyed about unprofessional behaviour. It worked on the army

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. This is the core. What are people in your workplace willing to accept?
    I read Sheryl Sanberg's book "Lean In", DB was actually given it as part of his management training at work, and I swiped it. I know she did a few TED talks, I will look into them!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    There are several TED talks on maternity leave. One of those might be relevant.
    Thanks I will check those out, maternity leave is becoming a talking point here. I was actually in a meeting the other day and one of the managers was like where is ___, she worked on this and we need her input, so I added that she was on maternity leave, and naturally he said we can't wait for her to get back and surely she's responding to emails and working from home Plus we don't even have paternity leave. Thanks!