Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need employment advice...badly

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Need employment advice...badly

Advertisements
    I have only been an Air Force wife for about a year, and I need advice about two situations.

I have always been very truthful and vocal with my boss about how long my husband and I will be here before we move. But somehow she still got confused and now I'm in an awkward situation. She is telling me that I need to sign a contract with an organization I've just joined, stating I will be there for at least three years. This organization will be paying for some of my training in a few months...but I never knew that their financial assistance was contingent upon my three-year involvement. The problem is: I'll probably only be here for one more year, and it is a strictly local organization. To sign the contract would technically not be truthful, but she insists that I should just sign it anyway. What do I do? I don't want to lie. I am technically employed by this organization.

Also, every time I go to a job interview for a full-time teaching position, the interviewer begins with, "What brought you to this area?" and again, I don't want to lie, so I say, "My husband's work." And then they say, "What does he do?" And I say, "(Dangit) He's in the Air Force." And of course, they scribble something on their notepad, and I never get a call back. What do you do to avoid this in interviews?
    I understand I'm not required to tell them I'm a military wife, but I can't think of a way to avoid it. I think that saying something like, "I'm not required to answer any of those questions," especially right at the beginning, would really put a damper on the rest of the interview.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really have no one else to turn to.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would take a close look at the contract. If it says something like, for example, you would have to repay the expenses for the training if you leave before 3 years, I definitely wouldn't sign it as is. I would tell her if she wants you to sign it that you need something in writing saying that you won't be responsible for the training expenses even if you leave before three years.

For interviews, of course you shouldn't lie, but you don't have to tell them EVERYTHING either. If I brought up my husband's work and they asked me what he did, I said that he worked with computers and networking. Not a lie - but I didn't tell them he did it for the Army. In fact if the question is what does he do vs. who he works for, just describing his job is a more accurate answer. Depending on what exactly he does you might have to finesse it a little if you don't want to tip them off right away that it's military though lol.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh, THANK YOU! I never thought about that. Wow. My future interviews will go much better, I think. :-) My husband works finance, so I probably won't even have to be sneaky about it.
    Good advice on the contract, too. I so appreciate your reply!
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera15 View Post
    Oh, THANK YOU! I never thought about that. Wow. My future interviews will go much better, I think. :-) My husband works finance, so I probably won't even have to be sneaky about it.
    Good advice on the contract, too. I so appreciate your reply!
    No problem.

I thought of something else too - if you use that position for a reference, a really common question that recruiters ask is if that company would re-hire you. If they say no it can be a red flag ... so I would make sure that leaving before your 3 years wouldn't make you ineligible for rehire. And again get it in writing. I know when we interview people that's a question we always ask and we usually bin resumes for people if their previous position says they wouldn't be rehired.
  5. Senior Member
    You might consider taking a copy of the contract to JAG and asking them if, due to the SCRA, you've be able to get out of the contract with PCS orders.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski