Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Jobs?

1. Senior Member

Two Jobs?

Advertisements
    I'm curious to hear people's experiences working two jobs.

Situation: I recently started working for the federal government in my field. It's a standard 9-5 (usually 8:30-5:30 when all is said and done). I've been contemplating taking on a second job in the service industry, either bartending or coffee shop. I've waitressed/barrista/bartended before, so I am aware of what kind of work it entails. I really just want to pay down my grad school debt faster, and I currently don't have any responsibilities beyond myself ie: single AF and no kids

I've worked 20+ hours while going to school full-time, and I've also worked full-time jobs that were more like 60+ hours per week, but I've never had two jobs (with one being full-time, not very flexible schedule) other than like summers in college when I lifeguarded then bartended (living the dream though).

Anyways just want to hear of people's experiences.

PS I completely realize how privileged I am that I don't need two jobs, and understand that this is not the reality for so many people.
    Last edited by CDNTrish; 02-15-2017 at 11:30 AM.
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    No experience but Daaaammmnnnn girl that's a lot I work a full time (7:30am-3:30pm) and then am a chauffeur for my kid after school to sports and I feel like I'm going to pass out by 9pm (which is the time her practice ends 4 nights a week ) most days. I can't imagine working two jobs.

3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    My husband did it for a few months. He was active duty, then worked at the bowling ally to help us beef up your savings for him getting out while I was in school and mentally recovering. It was exhausting but not as bad as he thought it would be.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    No experience but Daaaammmnnnn girl that's a lot I work a full time (7:30am-3:30pm) and then am a chauffeur for my kid after school to sports and I feel like I'm going to pass out by 9pm (which is the time her practice ends 4 nights a week ) most days. I can't imagine working two jobs.
    You are caring for two other HUMANS. That's like ten full-time jobs I just need to get my ass to work every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    My husband did it for a few months. He was active duty, then worked at the bowling ally to help us beef up your savings for him getting out while I was in school and mentally recovering. It was exhausting but not as bad as he thought it would be.
    That's good to hear. That's also the main reason I want to do it.
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    You are caring for two other HUMANS. That's like ten full-time jobs I just need to get my ass to work every day.
    Are you counting my husband as one of the two humans? I guess I do kinda take care of him too though...

6. Senior Member
    I've never done it but I thought about it over the summer while my bf was gone and I had no social life anyway. Idk you might as well if you think you have the energy for it. It's not like you're obligated to stay if it's not working out for you.
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Totally unrelated to your actual question... but did you end up moving to DC??
    ~Becca~

8. Senior Member
    I worked full-time while I went to school full-time. It was manageable and I was able to get straight A's, but I didn't have time for much outside of work and school. When I got home I would do homework, then clean and eat, then study and by the time I was done with that I would pass out to get up at 3:30 and do it all over again. I really didn't mind that much because it was allowing me to pay for school as I went and not take out any loans, but I had barely any time to hang out with friends or work out like I wanted.

Back when DH and I were dating he worked two full-time jobs and I don't know how he did it. He worked at a lumber mill for the morning, half of the time driving equipment and the other half pulling wood from the conveyor belt and when he got off he went straight to a grocery store where he was a cashier. He was constantly exhausted and I felt so bad for him. One full-time and one part-time job would probably be the best way to go so you don't burn yourself out.
  9. Senior Member
    I don't currently work two jobs, but I did during my summers in college. It was actually three jobs that totaled about 80 hours a week. It was only manageable because it was three months of the summer. But now I'm in the same situation was you, I work a pretty standard 9-5 and my pay is salary so there is no paid OT. I thought about getting a second job but I don't really need it, it would just be to save more and pay down on my house. And I have no kids to worry about.

You can always take on a second job with the mindset that its temporary until you pay off your school debt. I think a lot depends on how stressful for job is. I know some days I come home and just mentally exhausted from dealing with stuff all day. If I had to turn around and go to another job it would be painful. Maybe find a place where you would get a discount or some additional perks.
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I've never worked 2+ jobs that resulted in more than full time, but in grad school I did work 2 jobs simultaneously. It was exhausting
    One was tutoring, and my shifts could be scheduled anywhere from 8 am to 9 pm (I didn't get to choose) and the other was lab work, where I had to do two 5-hour shifts per week (took 5 hours to do the experimental part so I couldn't work shorter shifts)

I guess my only concern is whether your part time job would make you too tired to succeed in your gov't job. I'd be wary of potentially making your career suffer, because that job is the one that's gonna put you through life, not barista-ing, kwim?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast