Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School mistake/Accreditation?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

School mistake/Accreditation?

Advertisements
    I ran across an article that made Liberty University, the school I'm about to start attending, sound awful. I thought I did a lot of research and picked LU because it offered everything I was looking for, and was a great school from what I knew, but now I'm kind of having doubts.

Liberty is a private, nonprofit, regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges school, but the article basically compares it to UoP being that its the second largest online school (more online students than in-person) posing as a nonprofit since the "Online" part of the school made money. They work well with military in many aspects, they're shorter terms, and they offer the Bachelors degree I want (Psychology - Criminal Psych). I only have 33 credits left until my degree is complete, I'll be using TA, could care less about the Religion aspect, and my GI Bill won't be touched while obtaining my Bachelors.

Basically this leads me to ask, because I honestly don't know, how much difference does the school you get your degree from/their accreditation make when applying for jobs? I plan to also receive at least a Master's degree, in which my school choices wouldn't be as limited as they are for a Bachelors if I was still in the military, but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/u...efit.html?_r=1
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think for profit schools have the most stigma, from what I have seen and heard personally and professionally.

I don't associate liberty university with that group of schools. I know it most for its religious reputation, which isn't really relevant for my line of work. I could see it raising eyebrows in the hard sciences maybe? But that's just my own speculation based on its reputation. Could be totally off!
  3. Senior Member
    I think when it comes to getting a job where you have your degree from and their accreditation does matter. But to what extent will vary depending on the field. For example, I work in engineering, and honestly a resume with a degree that was online or from a profit school wouldn't even make it past HR to my desk. Ninety percent of the people I work with have degrees from a handful of well established and strong engineering schools in the area. But that's just my field. I agree that the religious aspect is another sticking point for hard sciences. Those schools will either not teach classes or offer degrees that will contradict Christian teaching or the class will be so watered down/twisted that it is worthless. For that reason to me the religion aspect is more concerning with higher education than the percentage of online students.

With that said, I don't know anything about the psychology field. I assume that you would need to in person clinical or labs? If you are able to volunteer or get an internship in the field that would be something to add to your resume. Also, when hiring usually greater emphasis is placed on your terminal degree. So if you can get into graduate school and get a masters from a traditional school that will help with job prospects.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I think when it comes to getting a job where you have your degree from and their accreditation does matter. But to what extent will vary depending on the field. For example, I work in engineering, and honestly a resume with a degree that was online or from a profit school wouldn't even make it past HR to my desk. Ninety percent of the people I work with have degrees from a handful of well established and strong engineering schools in the area. But that's just my field. I agree that the religious aspect is another sticking point for hard sciences. Those schools will either not teach classes or offer degrees that will contradict Christian teaching or the class will be so watered down/twisted that it is worthless. For that reason to me the religion aspect is more concerning with higher education than the percentage of online students.

With that said, I don't know anything about the psychology field. I assume that you would need to in person clinical or labs? If you are able to volunteer or get an internship in the field that would be something to add to your resume. Also, when hiring usually greater emphasis is placed on your terminal degree. So if you can get into graduate school and get a masters from a traditional school that will help with job prospects.
    I'm required to do a 120 hour internship before I could officially finish. You make a good point about the teachings though. I've taken Psych classes at my previous school so I hope I'll be able to tell the difference, if there is one, in the teachings. If I don't feel like I'm getting a good education I could always apply to another school - more time and more costly, but education is important.

It makes sense that it would vary depending on the job field. I'd imagine conducting science labs on your own vs in person would make a difference; same way with engineering. Thankfully majority of the classes I still need are for my major.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Not all graduate schools will accept you from an unaccredited school.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Not all graduate schools will accept you from an unaccredited school.
    It's an accredited school...
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    In my experience, there is always less of a stigma and overall a more positive outlook surrounding state universities that offer online/distance learning. There are plenty of them out there and they typically offer not only discounted tuition for military and dependents, but they are very understanding when it comes to the uncertainty and chaos of a military life. I chose UMUC for a BS in investigative forensics and a minor in criminal justice. They have Europe and Asia campuses on military bases, and spouses only pay $250 per credit hour. It's regionally accredited, non-profit, and a state university that falls under the University system of Maryland. There are many more such as ASU, FSU, and Penn State just to name a few. I've heard good things about liberty, but as you have found out there is a stigma. Another plus about going to a state school is that when you get your diploma it will have the name of the brick and mortar school with no specification as to it being online. So, unless an employer asks or you tell them that you attended the online version of the school, they won't know. Ultimately it's up to you, but there's a lot to take into consideration. Just avoid the schools on this list and you should be okay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goo...overnment/amp/
  8. Regular Member
    My mom always told me a degree is a degree everyone needs one in todays world. I did go to a private expensive business school but that's just because of scholarships etc. But, having the degree is what is important, not where it is from. Of course, if it's a really crappy school and not accredited that's one thing. But you're in the military, you're getting your degree, you're doing everything right. It's not like you sit on your ass on your couch at home doing crappy classes because you're lazy and you just want a degree no matter what it is. Your resume tells a story about you, and if this school works well with military than that's a great option. Don't let bad press stop you from going to a university. Every school has bad press!
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by beccasarah View Post
    My mom always told me a degree is a degree everyone needs one in todays world. I did go to a private expensive business school but that's just because of scholarships etc. But, having the degree is what is important, not where it is from. Of course, if it's a really crappy school and not accredited that's one thing. But you're in the military, you're getting your degree, you're doing everything right. It's not like you sit on your ass on your couch at home doing crappy classes because you're lazy and you just want a degree no matter what it is. Your resume tells a story about you, and if this school works well with military than that's a great option. Don't let bad press stop you from going to a university. Every school has bad press!
    Yeahhhhh no. A degree is not a degree and it IS important where it comes from. Depending on the place the degree is obtained from can totally effect job prospects in the future. As some have posted above, a resume with a for profit school or one that is only online (think kaplin, devrie, phoenix etc) will get passed over and barely get a second glance over those that have attended brick and mortar schools or taken classes at non profit schools or B&M schools that offer online classes. There is a quality lacking in the for profit schools that B&M and non profit actually offer. Those degrees are seen as more legitimate.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beccasarah View Post
    Respectfully disagree, I already posted about what some of the perspectives are on degrees from different schools (online, B&M). But also not everyone needs a degree. There are lots of good professions that don't require someone to have a degree like plumbers, electricians, and mechanics. And plenty of the people who start in those trades go on to be small business owners. And there are lots of people who have degrees and either don't use them or can't find work using a degree in (fill in the blank). In my opinion our society is starting to treat college like an extension of high school, and its a shame. You just have to read the articles on massive student loan debt crisis and adults living in their parents basements until 30+ to see there is an issue here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast