Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School mistake/Accreditation?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by beccasarah View Post
    My mom always told me a degree is a degree everyone needs one in todays world. I did go to a private expensive business school but that's just because of scholarships etc. But, having the degree is what is important, not where it is from. Of course, if it's a really crappy school and not accredited that's one thing. But you're in the military, you're getting your degree, you're doing everything right. It's not like you sit on your ass on your couch at home doing crappy classes because you're lazy and you just want a degree no matter what it is. Your resume tells a story about you, and if this school works well with military than that's a great option. Don't let bad press stop you from going to a university. Every school has bad press!
    Mentalities like this are what keep degree mills in business. Contrary to what some people think, employers DO take into consideration the school you went to, and accreditation is not the only thing that matters. Many of them also disguise themselves as being military friendly, when in all actuality they prey on military because they can profit off of their tuition assistance and federal grants. I was in the process of enrolling at American Intercontinental University (a regionally accredited school with B&M locations, mind you) and got sketched out when they were having me fill out the FAFSA before even enrolling. Turns out they're known for and even have a couple of class action lawsuits against them for not applying grants to student's tuition and most employers will not accept a degree from them. I would venture to say that a degree from Phoenix, Kaplan, AIU, DeVry and a few others are virtually useless in terms of respectability in the job field.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beccasarah View Post
    My mom always told me a degree is a degree everyone needs one in todays world. I did go to a private expensive business school but that's just because of scholarships etc. But, having the degree is what is important, not where it is from. Of course, if it's a really crappy school and not accredited that's one thing. But you're in the military, you're getting your degree, you're doing everything right. It's not like you sit on your ass on your couch at home doing crappy classes because you're lazy and you just want a degree no matter what it is. Your resume tells a story about you, and if this school works well with military than that's a great option. Don't let bad press stop you from going to a university. Every school has bad press!
    What? No offense, but you said you went to an expensive private school, which I assume means a well known good school. You haven't graduated from a "less desirable" school and then ended up not getting a job because future employers didn't even consider you because of it. A resume tells a story about you. And a good story requires a good school. Period.

Also, grad schools are very competitive (if you want to go the grad school route). There is no way on gods green earth I would have gotten into the psychology program at the school I went to, if I hadn't gotten my bachelors degree at an equally good school. Not a single person there got their degree at an online school.

So no. Not all that matters is having a degree. Everyone has a degree. Ok. Not everyone. But lots of people. Employers can choose to be picky. Have a good degree AND a good resume on top of it.
  3. Senior Member
    It makes a difference when you're competing with someone else for a job. If you and another candidate are similar, an employer is more likely to choose someone with a degree from a reputable brick and mortar school. A lot of people want to act like online school doesn't have a stigma anymore, but it does unfortunately.

Also, as far as grad school, you need to make sure the degree you're getting now will satisfy requirements for Master's programs that you're interested in.

4. Senior Member
    To be honest, I would be most concerned about its religious affiliations. Maybe it won't matter, but then again, it might, and that wouldn't be something I would want to gamble on.
  5. Senior Member
    I have a friend who got her Masters from this college. Doesn't seem to have affected her in anyway and she is NOT religious by any means. Like she said "you don't have to drink the kool-aid" if you don't want to.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

As an update... I'm near completion with two of my courses for Liberty and it's not that bad religion wise. In these two classes, there has been minimal religious affiliation. On tests we have a couple short answer questions which tie Scripture to the course, and of course some of our reading is related to Scripture, but it's not all religious all the time like I was worried about.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    To be honest, I would be most concerned about its religious affiliations. Maybe it won't matter, but then again, it might, and that wouldn't be something I would want to gamble on.
    I went to a school affiliated with religion and I didn't have any problems at all. And it's a very well known private institution that was actually in a big LGBT controversy (due to its religious beliefs) not too long ago (5 years or so) and I got several job offers before I even graduated.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12