Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to school

1. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Going back to school

Advertisements
    Heeeey! It's been 12 years since I've been in school, so I'm super nervous and excited to start again. Filled out my FAFSA yesterday and will be going to sit down with an adviser soon.

Have any of you gone back to school after such a long period of time? Was it easy to get back into the swing of things?

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  2. Senior Member
    I saw your post on FB and I'm so excited for you!
    I'm going back to school after our PCS and it has been around 4 years since i was in college.

3. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I saw your post on FB and I'm so excited for you!
    I'm going back to school after our PCS and it has been around 4 years since i was in college.
    Thanks! It's been so long, I don't really know what to expect anymore. Meep. Congrats on you going back as well! What are you going for?

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I know you can do it!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Anthiea View Post
    I know you can do it!
    Thanks friend

6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I went back after a long break in 2013. To be honest I found it really hard. One reason was my health, but the other reason is that it has changed so much. I'm a very traditional learner as well as an introvert. I like to be lectured to and take notes. Study, take tests, do worksheets.

What I found (at least at my school) is that it's heavily computer based even if you go to physical school. Since phones and laptops are allowed the kids sit on facebook through out class, which I find annoying and distracting. The teachers are heavily into progressive learning in an attempt to meet the needs of non-traditional learners. But for me that just means constant stress of having to do group work every session, presentations way more frequently than what I remember before. Just all kinds of horrors and the teachers constantly bragging about it not realizing all they're doing is changing which group is being catered to

But, if you're not a traditional learner or an introvert you'll probably have a much easier time! Also it could be totally different depending on your school and your major. I didn't end up finishing, partially due to health but partially because all my upper division courses were going to 100% group work and it was honestly just too much for me.
  7. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I went back after a long break in 2013. To be honest I found it really hard. One reason was my health, but the other reason is that it has changed so much. I'm a very traditional learner as well as an introvert. I like to be lectured to and take notes. Study, take tests, do worksheets.

What I found (at least at my school) is that it's heavily computer based even if you go to physical school. Since phones and laptops are allowed the kids sit on facebook through out class, which I find annoying and distracting. The teachers are heavily into progressive learning in an attempt to meet the needs of non-traditional learners. But for me that just means constant stress of having to do group work every session, presentations way more frequently than what I remember before. Just all kinds of horrors and the teachers constantly bragging about it not realizing all they're doing is changing which group is being catered to

But, if you're not a traditional learner or an introvert you'll probably have a much easier time! Also it could be totally different depending on your school and your major. I didn't end up finishing, partially due to health but partially because all my upper division courses were going to 100% group work and it was honestly just too much for me.
    I'm not really sure what kind of learner I am anymore but I'm also introverted.

Sorta want to believe that if it's computer based, I'd be alright but also scared that I'd be easily distracted. Believe most of my prerequisites will be done online with some done on site at the education center on base. At least until I get accepted into the program I want.

Regarding group work, I'm absolutely dreading that. I've watched my husband get his associates and now working on his bachelors so I've seen the horrors of group work. It's probably the #1 thing that makes me anxious. He was really good about getting it all dumped on top of him. Not sure that I will be.

So sorry about your health giving you issues. Hope everything is okay. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It'll be interesting finding out what type of learner I am after all of this time. Do you think you'll go back to school again?

8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I'm so proud of you! You're going to be great. <3
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've been out of college for over four years and just applying and getting everything figured out has been stressful for me. It helps that I've had all my training in between, which is a lot like school work, but I'm nervous to start classes in Feb lol. Thankfully my school has people there until 10pm EST and on saturday as well, so if I need anything it's easy to contact someone. The worst part is the 120 hour internship I'll be required to have in order to finish.

What are you going for?
  10. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I'm so proud of you! You're going to be great. <3
    Thank you! I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    I've been out of college for over four years and just applying and getting everything figured out has been stressful for me. It helps that I've had all my training in between, which is a lot like school work, but I'm nervous to start classes in Feb lol. Thankfully my school has people there until 10pm EST and on saturday as well, so if I need anything it's easy to contact someone. The worst part is the 120 hour internship I'll be required to have in order to finish.

What are you going for?
    It's great that your training has kept your mind in the game. Is that work related or? Congrats on going back to school! I'll have to do something like that towards the end of mine as well. That won't be for a while, though. I need to get all of my prereqs out of the way. I'll PM you what I'm going for!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast