Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anybody here telecommute?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Anybody here telecommute?

Advertisements
    I'm considering telecommuting ... the office where I work at is closing and there aren't any locations near me.

I have two choices though, the company will pay for me to move to one of their regional offices, or I can telecommute and they'll set up an office in our home. Still in the process of making a decision but I've never worked from home before and was curious to hear experiences! I have no idea what to do and it's pretty overwhelming right now.
  2. Regular Member
    I work from home once a pay period...so once every other week. I think it works well if you're disciplined. For me, I'm more productive in the office because I have everything I need there. I have my personal printer, two large monitors, a clerk. At home I only have my laptop so it takes me a little longer to complete assignments, reports. I'm also a little distracted because of television. LOL!

So if you're disciplined and can stay focused, you'll be fine.
  3. Senior Member
    I work from home twice per week. I love the flexibility and not commuting on those two days, but I wouldn't want to work from home all five days. I crave human interaction too much. I get a ton done on my work from home days as there are no distractions and no one to speak with, but it makes me look forward to going to the office.
  4. Senior Member
    Agreed, I think it depends on what type of person you are. I wouldn't be able to work from home, the times I have tried were largely unproductive. There are too many distractions at home (dog, laundry, start dinner) and I need the dual monitors and printers to feel productive. Even in graduate school I drove to the office everyday.

I would think if your the type of person who can stay on task and the job doesn't require face to face conversations you should be fine. Could you lay it out that you want to try working from home but on trial period. And then if it doesn't work take the standing offer to relocate?
  5. Senior Member
    I couldn't do it even if I had a job where I could. I need human interaction. And I would be way too distracted by other things working from home, I wouldn't be as productive as I needed to be. But it all just depends on the type of person you are.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Agreed, I think it depends on what type of person you are. I wouldn't be able to work from home, the times I have tried were largely unproductive. There are too many distractions at home (dog, laundry, start dinner) and I need the dual monitors and printers to feel productive. Even in graduate school I drove to the office everyday.

I would think if your the type of person who can stay on task and the job doesn't require face to face conversations you should be fine. Could you lay it out that you want to try working from home but on trial period. And then if it doesn't work take the standing offer to relocate?
    I am definitely going to ask about that! We have a meeting tomorrow to go over the benefits again. My impression though is that the relocation package is a one-time offer and that it wouldn't apply going forward if I decided to transition to a regional office. But it is something I'm thinking about ...

The human interaction part people bring up is the most concerning to me. I'm not *too* worried about productivity etc. because we have a space I can use as a dedicated office (so no TV/chores/pets/etc), plus the company will furnish me with everything I need including dual monitors. Which I'm totally excited about because we don't even get dual monitors at the office I'm at now. But I think isolation could definitely be a factor, like I'm going to have to really make an effort to make sure I'm socializing etc. even though my office is at home.
  7. Senior Member
    I would love to do it 1x/week but definitely couldn't on a regular basis. I need human interaction (and my office mate is the best so that helps )

Are the relocation options cities you are interested in? Can your DH easily relocate? Have you considered looking for something else?