Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I don't know what to do

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't know what to do

Advertisements
    I hate my job....HATE it. I started in January and all was fine and good and I was back in an office with my friends and happy then in May they finally assigned me to a team to work with and it has all gone down hill from there. We (four of us) have been given no direction and have basically been given nothing to do; this was fine for a few weeks but now it is really getting old. I've reached out to my supervisor in person and via email and either get blown off and told to just "keep doing what I've been doing" or just completely ignored. We're leaving in April so I'll be done working probably the end of March but right now I can't even see myself staying for that long. And just top off the annoyance even when my emails aren't duty/responsibility related my supervisor still doesn't answer! I have emailed 3 times in the past week regarding leave for my wedding and the holidays as well as asking how to work out a lateral transfer when we move and they haven't even been read that I can tell let alone replied to.

I feel like the idea of leaving now and finding another job for 6 months seems silly and kind of like I'd be screwing someone over but I'm really at the point where I just want to hand in my ID and never come back. I don't even know what I'm expecting with this thread I just need to vent to someone other my poor coworkers sitting in the same room as me or DF
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Is there a reason you can't walk into his office? Is your team remote?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Is there a reason you can't walk into his office? Is your team remote?
    ha he hasn't been in the office for more than 2 hrs in approx a month....and even before that he is in and out at random unscheduled times. And when I have run into him like in the hall its pretty much just blown off like I should enjoy being paid to sit in a chair with no work.
  4. Senior Member
    Maybe look for a seasonal position? A lot of retail places will be taking on employees soon and would be fine with you having to leave after a few months. It probably makes a lot less than you're making now, but it's better than nothing and the change in atmosphere might be refreshing. I know you're probably trying not to act emotionally, but if that job is making you unhappy you should take care of yourself and leave. In my opinion it's not worth it if it makes you miserable.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Maybe look for a seasonal position? A lot of retail places will be taking on employees soon and would be fine with you having to leave after a few months. It probably makes a lot less than you're making now, but it's better than nothing and the change in atmosphere might be refreshing. I know you're probably trying not to act emotionally, but if that job is making you unhappy you should take care of yourself and leave. In my opinion it's not worth it if it makes you miserable.
    yea I talked to DF about that last night because this is totally how I feel but he's not behind it right now and just keeps saying suck it up for six months and get a lot of stuff paid off/ saved up to make things easier when we move to FL incase I don't have a job lined up right away. Taking a retail or service job would be a HUGE pay cut (like probably close to 2/3 of my income would be cut) so I get where he's coming from but I wish he was more understanding about it at the same time.
  6. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Sorry work sucks lady! It sounds like your only options are either to take a lower paying temp type job or just continue to work there until it's time to move. If you are sitting around with nothing to do, is there anything else you can do in the meantime? Perhaps online courses or some type of program that could take up your time? I would see what kind of offerings they have although I know it's govt so you may be limited... but it's worth a shot to look.
    ~Becca~

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Sorry work sucks lady! It sounds like your only options are either to take a lower paying temp type job or just continue to work there until it's time to move. If you are sitting around with nothing to do, is there anything else you can do in the meantime? Perhaps online courses or some type of program that could take up your time? I would see what kind of offerings they have although I know it's govt so you may be limited... but it's worth a shot to look.
    I tried to get to training for work (theres a lot I would love to do) but they won't send me anymore since I'm leaving which is totally my fault for telling them too early but o well can't undo that now. We discussed me signing up for some classes through myCAA once we get married to see if I can get a paralegal cert or something along those lines done before we move so if that works out the way I hope it does and DF doesn't make E6 that will give me something to do semi-soon.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    are you contractor or civ?

there are a lot of contracts here at quantico that are all temporary, like less than a year.. you can probably get on one of those..
    VA is an at will state, it won't matter if you work 2 months, or 6 months.. if you are contractor it will be much easier to do that than civ.

If you are CIV, then you should be able to move from one to the next regardless of how long you are there. Also, with CIV you can get classes paid for, and leave you can put in through the pay system and still take it, even if it isn't approved by supervisor.

In either situation, you should be able to go to your supervisor's boss, particularly for leave, you should be able to go to HR and say you are taking this time off and he isn't responding.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't