Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: MyCAA and FAFSA

1. Senior Member

MyCAA and FAFSA

Advertisements
    I want to apply to MyCAA so that I can go back to school. I'd pay out of pocket if I could, but can't afford that right now. I looked at some older threads. They were informative but it piqued a question that I did not see an answer to.

I saw that I should apply for FAFSA as well. I can do that, I've done that before. I only got $600 and then had to get loans, but it helped some. The thing is, you have to use your parents info til you're 24, and I'm 23. But obviously I'm married, so how does that work? Do I have to use both my parents and my spouse and my income? Or just my spouse and mine? Or just my parents?

This is why I'd pay out of pocket if I could. It's confusing and I'd avoid all this.

New question I just thought of: Didn't the FAFSA cut off date already pass? Although I'm sure I could just google that.

If anyone could answer my questions, or if there is anyone who I can go see/call to talk to, that would be wonderful!

Thank you!
  2. Grouchy Hag
    Grouchy Hag

The deadline for the 2015-2016 school year has passed already, yes. 2016-2017 FAFSA won't be available until January 1st.

If you're married, you're considered an independent student regardless of age and don't need to use your parents' financial information. You'll use your spouse's and your info.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhand View Post
    The deadline for the 2015-2016 school year has passed already, yes. 2016-2017 FAFSA won't be available until January 1st.

If you're married, you're considered an independent student regardless of age and don't need to use your parents' financial information. You'll use your spouse's and your info.
    Ahhhh, got it. Well I can wait til the new year. But MyCAA may be enough for the schooling I want, if they accept it. I have a lot to look into. Thanks for the help!
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    The 2016-2017 FAFSA has been available since January. I think the PP means the 2017-2018 FAFSA. The early deadline may have passed, but you can still fill it out, it just means that you might have missed out on some aid already. I have filled mine out mid-year when I decided to go back to school at the last minute.

When you're filling out the FAFSA and you enter that you are married, it will tell you something along the lines of not having to enter your parents' income information since you are married--that gives you independent status. Yay!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Ahhhh, got it. Well I can wait til the new year. But MyCAA may be enough for the schooling I want, if they accept it. I have a lot to look into. Thanks for the help!
    You don't need to wait! I'm utilizing 2016-2017 right now.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhand View Post

actually the new FAFSA is available oct. 1st, and you use 2015 tax info for it. They've changed it.

you're no longer a dependent once you're married. You use your and your husband's income.

You qualify for MYCAA if your husband is E5 and below or o1, o2. It's only a 4,000 grant and it can only be used for certain programs and at certain schools. They have to have an agreement with mycaa. Their website can give you some ideas about the programs and schools it works for.

7. Grouchy Hag
    Grouchy Hag

Haven't been in school for three years now, so didn't know about this change. TIL.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it Now I just have to do some research on what schools take MyCAA that also have the program I want and then fill everything out.
  9. Senior Member
    I can tell you for sure that the community college down here does take MyCAA. It's been pretty straight forward but sometimes feels like a lot of hoops to jump through
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    I can tell you for sure that the community college down here does take MyCAA. It's been pretty straight forward but sometimes feels like a lot of hoops to jump through
    Well that's good to know! Thank you I wonder if they have animal control classes, I'll look up their programs. Not many colleges do so I may have to chose another career path for now til I can pay out of pocket for that.