Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: When would you start applying for jobs?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When would you start applying for jobs?

Advertisements
    DF is getting transferred to FL in April so I have started looking at jobs...when would you all actually start applying? My brain is so skewed from the federal gov't timeline (where it can take 6 months to a year to get hired sometimes) that I have no idea how long it takes for a "normal" job.

TIA
  2. Senior Member
    This will depend a lot on what kind of jobs you are looking at. It is more career-level professional work, or stuff that requires less training and experienced?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This will depend a lot on what kind of jobs you are looking at. It is more career-level professional work, or stuff that requires less training and experienced?
    probably both. My plan is to get atleast an retail job or something for when I first get there and hopefully find something more in my career field but if I can find something in my field or that atleast uses my skills right away I would do that. My background is criminal justice/national security research and analysis just to add more info so I'm looking at federal jobs and state/local.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    if you are fed, why not just transfer to a fed job on/near base?
    FL should have plenty of fed jobs.

for me, I always started applying 3-4 months prior to RNLTD. But these were non-retail, or non-fast food jobs, jobs in my career field, or something more than min wage. Retail jobs I would wait until you got there, or just before. But if you want something more, or more like what you are doing now, then start about 3-4 months out. Fed jobs don't always take 6 months, they can be as short as 1 month.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    if you are fed, why not just transfer to a fed job on/near base?
    FL should have plenty of fed jobs.

for me, I always started applying 3-4 months prior to RNLTD. But these were non-retail, or non-fast food jobs, jobs in my career field, or something more than min wage. Retail jobs I would wait until you got there, or just before. But if you want something more, or more like what you are doing now, then start about 3-4 months out. Fed jobs don't always take 6 months, they can be as short as 1 month.
    I'm trying but its not guaranteed. CBP might transfer me to the airport but I have to work with people down there to see if they even have a position for me to lateral into. The job I do is pretty centralized for DC and most of the fed jobs I have found near JAX have been medical. I did apply for one today though that I'm way over qualified for.

Thanks for the timeline I would def like to avoid going back to retail (honestly I'm not sure my body can even take that anymore) so I'm really going to try to find a professional job ASAP.

As for the bolded that all depends on the job; for where I am now it took from August 08-Aug 09 from application to start and my clearance wasn't adjudicated until December so it def can take a lot more than a month.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    I'm trying but its not guaranteed. CBP might transfer me to the airport but I have to work with people down there to see if they even have a position for me to lateral into. The job I do is pretty centralized for DC and most of the fed jobs I have found near JAX have been medical. I did apply for one today though that I'm way over qualified for.

Thanks for the timeline I would def like to avoid going back to retail (honestly I'm not sure my body can even take that anymore) so I'm really going to try to find a professional job ASAP.

As for the bolded that all depends on the job; for where I am now it took from August 08-Aug 09 from application to start and my clearance wasn't adjudicated until December so it def can take a lot more than a month.

I would do my best to avoid retail.. so I feel you on that one.
    3-4 months is good, and if any call you in that time, you can tell them you won't be getting to jax until April, but you could move down early if accepted (if that's what you want). You have some flexibility since it is FL, and not that far away

Yeah, fed timeline does depend on job. My hubby took only a month, mine took 3 because of my salary negotiation, otherwise it would have been 1 month.. others I know was 4 months.. and others was a year.. so it really does depend on the job.. and location. Regardless, you can still use the prior fed status should not be able to transfer or get one right away, but find one later on.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't