Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can my boss make us come in earlier?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Can my boss make us come in earlier?

Advertisements
    So I have a question. My boss is asking staff to come into work at 4:45 am, which is 15 minutes earlier than what we are contracted to. Our schedule is 5am-1:30pm. Now, I can't tell you what our contracts say verbatim but I have a feeling that she cannot ask us to (or at least that's what I'm hoping). I believe we are still allowed to clock in at 4:45 with this being the case we would still get paid. Does anyone have insight on this? I'm browsing the internet for answers. I live in California if that helps.
  2. Ambitiously Blonde
    Ambitiously Blonde
    By boss do you mean she's the owner of your company or just in management? If she's not the owner, I'd possibly speak to someone else in management and just see what the contract actually says and what is/isn't allowed.

3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    If she's requesting that people arrive earlier and letting you clock in earlier then I believe she is within her rights, she's paying you for the time and if it's nessecary to finish a project or something being there 15 min early isn't an outrageous request. That being said, I don't know how much backup she would have if she tried to punish someone for showing up at 5am to work as that's what's in the contract.

4. Senior Member
    I think they can- if not it is considered insubordination and you can be fired.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambzie View Post
    By boss do you mean she's the owner of your company or just in management? If she's not the owner, I'd possibly speak to someone else in management and just see what the contract actually says and what is/isn't allowed.
    She is my supervisor, so just management.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    If she's requesting that people arrive earlier and letting you clock in earlier then I believe she is within her rights, she's paying you for the time and if it's nessecary to finish a project or something being there 15 min early isn't an outrageous request. That being said, I don't know how much backup she would have if she tried to punish someone for showing up at 5am to work as that's what's in the contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    I think they can- if not it is considered insubordination and you can be fired.
    This is what I was afraid of I don't like her reasoning but I won't get into it. I was just wondering if she had the ability to ask us that.

Thanks everyone!
  6. Senior Member
    I believe they can also. At my old job I was supposed to clock in at 5am, but for two weeks I had to clock in at 4am. It might differ between types of work?
  7. Senior Member
    You actually have a contract ? I have had employee manuals and things but never had an employment contract. I would read the contract if you have one.

Any boss I have ever had pretty much could tell you when they wanted you there, but they do have to pay you unless you are on salary.
  8. Senior Member
    This is going to depend on what your contract says. It's certainly not illegal for a boss to change hours, as long as you are still getting paid for the entire time worked. But it is possible that your contract stipulates specific hours, in which case this *may* be in violation of the contract. But unless you have a copy of the contract (and it sounds like you don't which is weird), there's no great way to know. Also, your contract *may* allow her to simply fire you, which is another thing to keep in mind.

*I am not a lawyer and I didn't even watch Law & Order last night, so of course this is in no way legal advice and when in doubt you should contact an attorney.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I would contact hr. California has crazy employment laws usually in the employees favor. I know in Florida they can change my schedule as long as I'm given 40 hrs.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

In most cases, your boss can find someone who is willing to come in 15 minutes earlier if you won't. Theres not much (within ethical parameters) I wouldn't do to accomodate my employer. I am salary and will probably hit 60 hours after I go in on Saturday, so I guess I dont understand the big deal about an extra 1.25 hours a week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast