Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can my boss make us come in earlier?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    To kind of answer everyone's questions:

I'd do it if I HAD to but my bossed clarified that the statement was made more towards other individuals who were strolling in late and holding up the clinic. I'm a counselor at a methadone clinic and I guess they were more so expressing their concern towards the LVNs and less towards the counseling staff. My position, or maybe just how *I* operate at work, I don't feel that I need 15 minutes to prepare before clocking in. There's not much for me to do until my patients are ready to see me anyway.

To answer another question, I'm not a huge fan of my supervisor so I guess subconsciously I don't want to put in extra effort for her. TBH though, she treats me differently than some of the other staff and is harder on me so I think I resent her a little (vent for another time).

So, it's no big deal. I guess the request wasn't aimed at me or the other counselors and I freaked a little. Also, although it's no one's fault but my own, but getting up that early in the morning is really difficult for me so being asked to come in earlier especially sucks.

I appreciate everybody's responses, so thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst View Post
    To kind of answer everyone's questions:

I'd do it if I HAD to but my bossed clarified that the statement was made more towards other individuals who were strolling in late and holding up the clinic. I'm a counselor at a methadone clinic and I guess they were more so expressing their concern towards the LVNs and less towards the counseling staff. My position, or maybe just how *I* operate at work, I don't feel that I need 15 minutes to prepare before clocking in. There's not much for me to do until my patients are ready to see me anyway.

To answer another question, I'm not a huge fan of my supervisor so I guess subconsciously I don't want to put in extra effort for her. TBH though, she treats me differently than some of the other staff and is harder on me so I think I resent her a little (vent for another time).

So, it's no big deal. I guess the request wasn't aimed at me or the other counselors and I freaked a little. Also, although it's no one's fault but my own, but getting up that early in the morning is really difficult for me so being asked to come in earlier especially sucks.

I appreciate everybody's responses, so thank you!
    Girl I hear you there. 15 minutes makes a world of difference at that hour I go in at 5 most days and if I had to be there even earlier I would be truly pissed. It's completely different from showing up at 7:45 vs 8.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    This is pretty much how it is at my work. I can have as much overtime as I want right now, but it used to be that you weren't approved to log in MORE than 15 minutes before the start of shift. But it wasn't a rule like "be here at 8:45 if you start at 9:00," it was just that you had to be logged in and ready to work when your shift started. So if you were scheduled to start at 9 it was impossible to get there exactly at 9 and be "on time."

If you're not finding answers online etc., you can also ask HR to look into it for you.
    This is my thinking too. If you are paid from 9-5, you better be working as soon as 9 hits. There are too many times, people are standing around chatting, getting coffee, WC breaks, and not working on time. Added, If my appointment is at 9 with anyone and I'm not in at 9, I'm ticked because they wasted my time and setting everything back.

Glad to know you got your answer though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123