Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can my boss make us come in earlier?

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post
    In most cases, your boss can find someone who is willing to come in 15 minutes earlier if you won't. Theres not much (within ethical parameters) I wouldn't do to accomodate my employer. I am salary and will probably hit 60 hours after I go in on Saturday, so I guess I dont understand the big deal about an extra 1.25 hours a week
    right? I'm salary too and it equals slavery! My hours are 7:00am to 3:30pm but most days I'm here until at least 4:30 or 5pm

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yea, I'm salary too, it would be so awesome to get paid for all the 40+++hours I have to do Kirst, it sounds like you maybe dislike your employer a little, so maybe that's why the request bugs you a little more? I know when I have a crappy boss, I hate doing anything extra for them, but when I have a boss I like a lot, I don't mind.
  3. Senior Member
    If they're paying you I'm pretty sure they can but you can always ask HR, because there may be some company rule about it.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

it depends on what you mean by contract....are you a contractor like for the government? if so then she probably can't if its against the contract your company has with them. If its just a normal change of shift or if its not specified in your contract then yes she can have you come in early. honestly 15 min is no big deal; where I work we are expected to be here 15 min early so that when our shift starts we are fully logged in and ready to work not that uncommon
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I think it's pretty normal to go to work 15 minutes early.

life's a party, rock your body
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    What do you do? What's her reasoning?

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Senior Member
    Are you salary or hourly? That makes a huge difference. What do you do? I've never had such tight work times, mainly it was do 40 hours, which usually ends up being closer to 50. If you're getting paid for the extra 15 too, then that's great!
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    it depends on what you mean by contract....are you a contractor like for the government? if so then she probably can't if its against the contract your company has with them. If its just a normal change of shift or if its not specified in your contract then yes she can have you come in early. honestly 15 min is no big deal; where I work we are expected to be here 15 min early so that when our shift starts we are fully logged in and ready to work not that uncommon
    This is pretty much how it is at my work. I can have as much overtime as I want right now, but it used to be that you weren't approved to log in MORE than 15 minutes before the start of shift. But it wasn't a rule like "be here at 8:45 if you start at 9:00," it was just that you had to be logged in and ready to work when your shift started. So if you were scheduled to start at 9 it was impossible to get there exactly at 9 and be "on time."

If you're not finding answers online etc., you can also ask HR to look into it for you.
  9. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    This is pretty much how it is at my work. I can have as much overtime as I want right now, but it used to be that you weren't approved to log in MORE than 15 minutes before the start of shift. But it wasn't a rule like "be here at 8:45 if you start at 9:00," it was just that you had to be logged in and ready to work when your shift started. So if you were scheduled to start at 9 it was impossible to get there exactly at 9 and be "on time."

If you're not finding answers online etc., you can also ask HR to look into it for you.
    That's how it always has been for me too. When your shift or day "starts" that means that you are settled, seated and ready to crush it.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Are you salary or hourly? That makes a huge difference. What do you do? I've never had such tight work times, mainly it was do 40 hours, which usually ends up being closer to 50. If you're getting paid for the extra 15 too, then that's great!
    Actually it's exempt vs. non-exempt that's important. Salaried non-exempt is actually quite common in CA so we can't judge based on salaried status.

OP, if you're not unionized and your non-exempt, I think you probably can be asked to come in early. If you're exempt they can too although those positions are supposed to have a bit more flexibility
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast