Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you major in?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What did you major in?

Advertisements
    I was originally a psychology major but changed when I realized that I'd need my PhD for forensic psychology and I don't want to end up as a counselor of any type if I don't end up doing the one thing I want with it. I'm planning on going to school for Biology but the only school I've found to get my BS in that online is American Public/American Military and I have major reservations about it.

I'm looking for new ideas as to what interests me. I like all natural sciences, I like hands on, and I can work with or without people. I'm also really good at English, enjoy history, and have no understanding of politics if anyone wants to give me ideas of career fields/majors... Shoot them my way!

So, what did you major in and why? Are you currently using that degree?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Started off as industrial design. Realized I didn't have that natural talent others had, and didn't like 7 am classes. Switched to technical communications. Didn't like talking in public, or the 8 am classes. Ended up as an english major. 12 years later, went back to school for law.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    My undergrad is a dual degree in Ecology & Environmental Biology, with a minor in Biochemistry

When I graduated, part of the reason I went to grad school, is that I realized that there are very few options for that. Basically: lab assistant, park ranger (DNR, National Parks, etc), work at an animal rehab place, environmental lobbying groups.

Grad school I got my Master's in Public Heath, with a concentration in Environmental Health and Toxicology. Career options for this degree include: County/State Health Departments, research labs, pharmaceutical industries, environmental health organizations, hospital labs etc.

I currently work as a clinical research coordinator for a biomedical informatics dept. All my coworkers are MDs or computer programmers It's not exactly what I thought I'd be doing but I like it well enough. The majority of my work is making sure our clinical research projects adhere to federal and state human ethics guidelines, and also stuff like recruiting patients and analyzing data/writing papers.

ETA: my workplace is currently designing a PhD in public health informatics which should be ready in 2 years, and I plan on applying. It's big data & computing meets public health & epidemiology.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    I have a BS in Environmental Science and a MS in Hydrogeology.

I currently work as a geologist for an engineering firm (consulting). We do investigation work and remediation for private industry and government. Most of the people with comparable degrees work in consulting. Ironically, I went to school for this because I love being outdoors and getting my hands dirty and now I spend 95% of my work time behind a computer!
  5. Senior Member
    I have a BS in liberal studies and a MS in clinical psychology. I am working towards getting my LMFT license. It will be a while though.
  6. Senior Member
    Can't help ya. I have a degree in marketing and work at a public relations/marketing agency.
  7. Senior Member
    I have a BS in Communication Sciences in Disorders (which sets you up to be an Audiologist or a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP)) and I chose to get my MA in Speech-Language Pathology. My mother's father had a stroke when I was in high school and it was a big deal when his SLP got him to eat by mouth again (versus through a tube). My mom and I were sitting on the couch together when we learned this and she said "You should be an SLP" and I said, "Huh, ok!" I took my first class in college and never looked back. Now I see kids that are birth-5 years old in their homes in Baltimore City. It's fantastic.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The two schools im currently waiting to hear back from are Penn State and Oregon State because both offer great online programs and are affordable. Most other distance learning schools are $500+ per credit and that's not something I can afford without tapping into my GI Bill. However, Penn State offers a degree in biobehavioral health (like a cross between biology and psychology) and OSU offers quite a few science degrees (ecology, environmental sciences, resource science) etc. I guess I just don't know well enough about those fields

ultimately id like to work in a research lab, something with forensics, or possibly med school.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    The two schools im currently waiting to hear back from are Penn State and Oregon State because both offer great online programs and are affordable. Most other distance learning schools are $500+ per credit and that's not something I can afford without tapping into my GI Bill. However, Penn State offers a degree in biobehavioral health (like a cross between biology and psychology) and OSU offers quite a few science degrees (ecology, environmental sciences, resource science) etc. I guess I just don't know well enough about those fields

ultimately id like to work in a research lab, something with forensics, or possibly med school.
    If you are thinking medical research, maybe biology/chemistry/toxicology would be a good fit. My sister works for a lab doing gun shot residue and testimony, her degrees are in forensics/policy. I think it would be hard to do a hard science degree online because so much of it is "hands-on" and laboratory based. Maybe take a few classes online and then find a university near you that works to complete the degree? DB is a PSU graduate, so I'm partial
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Major: BA in Government and International Politics with a minor in English

Jobs: Goverment, particularly policy and national security...or law school

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast