Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did you major in?

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Advertisements
    Undergrad: Cell Molecular Biology with an Anthropology Minor

followed by getting a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine

Bio undergrad degrees are preeeeeetty useless unless you wanna be a lab assistant. You pretty much have to get a masters or doctorate. Also, if you even are thinking of going to med school, you have to go to a really fantastic undergrad or you wont get to a med school worth anything (meaning you may get into med school, but you wont get a residency, so its pointless) or you will end up having to go to DO school, and still will have trouble getting a residency. And for med schools you have to do quite a few labs, which means you cant do distance learning.
  2. Senior Member

I have a BA in Psychology and am currently looking into masters programs. I struggled to find anything in psychology using the bachelor's (no surprise there) and have gone back and forth on what I want to do which is why I'm not currently in a program. It is pretty much down to social work or getting my master's in education and going the guidance counselor route. The master's in education is easier to get online which is why I'm really leaning towards that route.

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Working on my BS in Accounting with a concentration in forensic accounting and fraud examination.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Major: BA in Government and International Politics with a minor in English

Jobs: Goverment, particularly policy and national security...or law school
    OR MPA

Undergrad: BA in History and Psychology (double major)
    Grad: Just graduated with an MPA

Jobs: Governments, nonprofits, consulting, NGOs, communications, public affairs!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Working on my BS in Accounting with a concentration in forensic accounting and fraud examination.
    That is WAY cool. I watch so much Forensic Files and they have all of these cool forensic jobs, including forensic accountants. I could never do it, but I think it's awesome!
  6. Senior Member
    I have a BA in BS aka political science.
    Last edited by Margot31; 07-10-2016 at 11:29 AM.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    If you are thinking medical research, maybe biology/chemistry/toxicology would be a good fit. My sister works for a lab doing gun shot residue and testimony, her degrees are in forensics/policy. I think it would be hard to do a hard science degree online because so much of it is "hands-on" and laboratory based. Maybe take a few classes online and then find a university near you that works to complete the degree? DB is a PSU graduate, so I'm partial
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    If you wanna go to medschool, you're gonna need a really good degree from a good school. Maybe cell & molecular biology or human physiology or biochemistry. And lots of lab work. I supervise an assistant who is in the process of applying for med school and it's insane how difficult it is. You have to know SO MANY THINGS. She's shown me her practice MCAT questions and they're very specific about biochemical reactions and genetics and lots of lab-based things. I don't think you could do it well enough online.

If you like medical lab science, you could look into a clinical laboratory science degree. Usually they work in hospital/clinic labs running all the tests. My mom works in a cryogenetics lab right now and she does the tests on fetuses to find out why people miscarried (chromosomal abnormality or something else)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Undergrad: Cell Molecular Biology with an Anthropology Minor

followed by getting a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine

Bio undergrad degrees are preeeeeetty useless unless you wanna be a lab assistant. You pretty much have to get a masters or doctorate. Also, if you even are thinking of going to med school, you have to go to a really fantastic undergrad or you wont get to a med school worth anything (meaning you may get into med school, but you wont get a residency, so its pointless) or you will end up having to go to DO school, and still will have trouble getting a residency. And for med schools you have to do quite a few labs, which means you cant do distance learning.
    I had always planned to get my masters in something more specific when I figured out which I really enjoyed. My current issues are that whole APU offers a natural science degree with a biology concentration and gives you all the material to do the labs at home, it's still APU. IMO it's not much different than saying I got my degree from University of Phoenix. People look at you and snicker. Also, I already have all of my general studies done. Its just my core classes I need and since I live in Hawaii my school options are limited. TA won't pay for than $250 per credit and Hawaii Pacific charges $700 per credit for lab classes. I can't afford to pay that out of pocket and I'm saving my GI bill for either another degree or higher ones. At this point it's dumb to tap into it when I don't have to.

Distance learning is just the easiest thing I can do right now because I plan on going to Korea after this tour and don't want to keep putting off finishing my degree.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I have a general associates and then I transferred and was Kinesiology major for a while but switched it to my minor because I couldn't handle the in person classes anymore. That was a really fun program though, I loved the information and it's good for pre-med, pre physical therapy, etc... Now I'm trying to finish with Graphic Information Technology degree. It's totally online but at the same school I was attending.

If I wasn't sick, I'd want to either be forensic pathologist/medical examiner or work for one.
  9. Senior Member
    I went to school for nursing & now I work as a nurse. I loved biology and anatomy/physiology and nursing was just the right place for me. I get to use all that knowledge on the daily in interesting ways and I didn't have to go to school for 8+ years. Plan initially was to become a CRNA but now I'm thinking I'm more interested in becoming a PA. A few of my nursing friends have gone on to med school though.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jendelion View Post
    Human development and family studies. Loved it! But not doing anything with it.

If I could do it again I would do communications or business.
    Cause if you are going to do nothing with a degree, it should at least be an impressive degree!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast