Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Being on the other side of a job interview?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being on the other side of a job interview?

Advertisements
    Hey my work is looking to hire another person and I'm going to be sitting in on interviews this week! I've never really been on this side of the hiring process so I'm a little nervous - does anyone have any advice or experiences they'd like to share?

I already talked to DH and he was like "If anything seems off during the interview, just know that it's going to be 10x more off when they start working there!" and my boss agreed so I was like ... that is good advice because I think my first instinct would have been to chalk it up to nerves and handwave it away lol.

We have a standard list of question we ask but we also have leeway to ask our own questions too, I have some specific ones for our company/position but if anyone has good questions I could use some more too!
  2. Senior Member
    Hey- I sit in on interviews for other managers and my group makes a direct hire every few months. I would remember that this is an interview for your company as much as it is an interview for them, good candidates will have multiple offers to choose from. I usually have a few low key talking points from the resume handy as an ice breaker (e.g. study abroad in college, what university, sports). Things that I always ask, 1) for an entry level are coursework and internship experience, 2) involvement in professional organizations, 3) career goals and interests, and 4) what they are looking for in a position (e.g. travel, desk job). I also ask about interests outside of work because it can indicate if their personality would be a good fit and if their hobbies are in-line with what we do. For example, in my job we spend 12+ hours a day in the dirt (literally) so hearing that someone likes camping or mountain biking lets me know they can probably get it done.The single most telling thing for me has been when I ask if they have any questions for me. Sometimes I get a spew of things that shows they read our companies bio and know our projects or just a blank stare. I get nervous going into interview someone, its hard. Good luck!
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks! I think the question about interests outside of work is a good one that I didn't have ... like you said it could tell a lot about them. I know my boss will definitely be asking what questions the candidates have for us so I'm curious to see what happens there too.
  4. Senior Member
    I've been on the other side a lot. My team likes to rotate who gets to interview people so when we are looking for people I get a lot of practice.

I always look at their resumes and look for inconsistencies. If they look like they job hop or if they arewere in a more senior position, I'll ask them where they see themselves in 3-5 years. It will help us see if they are a short timer, or if they are really looking for a more senior position that we can't guarantee we will have.

I will also ask them their favorite and least favorite part about doing X job. I want them to be honest. Because i know some parts of the job suck, no need to sugar coat it.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    I've been on the other side a lot. My team likes to rotate who gets to interview people so when we are looking for people I get a lot of practice.

I always look at their resumes and look for inconsistencies. If they look like they job hop or if they arewere in a more senior position, I'll ask them where they see themselves in 3-5 years. It will help us see if they are a short timer, or if they are really looking for a more senior position that we can't guarantee we will have.

I will also ask them their favorite and least favorite part about doing X job. I want them to be honest. Because i know some parts of the job suck, no need to sugar coat it.
    I got the resumes for the candidates we're interviewing tomorrow (four!) and I'm going through them to look for things like this. Some of them have really vague but potentially intriguing things too (created new system to track sales, stuff like that) that I'm going to ask about too!

That last question is really awesome too. If they really play up a certain job during the interview I am definitely going to ask that.