• don't care either way

14 21.21%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: encouraging your children to go to college

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    I need an "Other" LOL...we want our kids to go to college because I feel that is the best route to a good job and money, however, if they wanted to forego college for the military, I would be okay with that as well because they are getting training in a career that can provide for themselves and the family they will eventually have. We have told them that they will do one of those two things, or get a job where they will get an education towards a good career - i.e. a technical career or training. I will not support them monetarily at home if they are flipping burgers at McDonalds and doing nothing else with their lives.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    It's not that I don't care either way, but I want the child to follow whatever dream/ambition/plan they have, within reason... I will be supportive no matter the choice. I think college is great for some, my sister for example. Military is great for others, me for example, I didn't have the discipline and drive for college that I do now. And some others are ready to get right into the work force. Whatever
  3. JadedPrincess
    Is the don't care either way option....what does that mean? DB and I care what his kids do, but at the same time we want them to be happy and productive. If they want to start racing in NASCAR, we'll support them. If they want to join the Army or go to beauty school and open a salon that's cool too.
  4. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I will recommend college but I won't push it and I won't pay for all of it. If they want to go in the military or go to work, that is up to them. They will not mooch off me after highschool though. They will be expected to contribute to society positively in some way. It's up to them to choose the way.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I dont have any kids but when I do i will encourage them to go to college and will def help pay for it the best way I can. But also if they want to join the military then I am behind them for that.. I guess it will just have to wait till I have some!
  6. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    I have no kids but when/if I do, I will encourage them to go to college, preferably a four year.

Growing up it was assumed that I would go and I'd like my children raised in a similar environment.
    That's pretty much how I was raised too. My mom always talked to me about college from the time I was in 4th grade or so. I remember telling my mom I was going to go to Brown when I was in 7th grade. I just always dreamed of going to college. My sister and brother went to college (my brother ended up dropping out). I think it was also my high school that influenced me, because just about every person in my graduating class went to college (for associates or bachelors), except two guys who went into the Marines.

Mike and I are going to encourage our children to go to college. We will be open to them joining the military, but we'd like them to have their degree first. I don't really believe that "not everyone is for college".

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    I have no kids but when/if I do, I will encourage them to go to college, preferably a four year.

Growing up it was assumed that I would go and I'd like my children raised in a similar environment.
    Same here- both my parents have PhDs and for me it was never a discussion of whether or not to go to college- just a question of where. DB and I agree totally that is what we will encourage. If they want to go military it will be either by getting a four year degree from one of the academies or doing ROTC. Education is way to important to both of us.
  8. jenniferwohlers
    I encourage them to go to college....REALLY encourage them, but I would be just as proud if they went military.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    That's pretty much how I was raised too. My mom always talked to me about college from the time I was in 4th grade or so. I remember telling my mom I was going to go to Brown when I was in 7th grade. I just always dreamed of going to college. My sister and brother went to college (my brother ended up dropping out). I think it was also my high school that influenced me, because just about every person in my graduating class went to college (for associates or bachelors), except two guys who went into the Marines.

Mike and I are going to encourage our children to go to college. We will be open to them joining the military, but we'd like them to have their degree first. I don't really believe that "not everyone is for college".
    i have to disagree with you that. for alot of kids straight out of high school especially schools with a large graduating class and kids get shunted from grade to grade, they don't have the skills to succeed straight out of high school because they didn't learn how to in high school. i went to a great high school but i saw kids in my graduating class that were not prepared at all for college because they screwed around or they just laid low to make it through. most of them joined the military
  10. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    I would prefer that my son go to college after he graduates H.S.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast