Thread: Healthy cheap foods

1. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%

Healthy cheap foods

Advertisements
    What are your staples?

I've recently been trying to eat cheaper but also healthier, which I'm really enjoying since I work from home. I've recently learned to bake bread (sourdough ftw!), shop sales and in bulk, and eat mostly plant-based. I do lots of brown rice/quinoa/whole grain carb + beans/tofu/fake meat + green veg combos so I need to branch out!
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    59.19%
    Buy cheaper cuts of meat, for a start. Chicken thigh instead of breast. Beef chuck. The bones are good - you can work wonders with bones, just roast them and scoop the marrow out with a spoon.

With veg, cook seasonally. Ingedients are always cheapest when they’re in season.

...out of curiosity, is there anything you don’t eat?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Buy cheaper cuts of meat, for a start. Chicken thigh instead of breast. Beef chuck. The bones are good - you can work wonders with bones, just roast them and scoop the marrow out with a spoon.

With veg, cook seasonally. Ingedients are always cheapest when they’re in season.

...out of curiosity, is there anything you don’t eat?
    meat. I've never really cooked it much or enjoyed it at home. These days, I'm working my way back to being mostly vegan, but won't really put the label on myself because I'm not super strict and won't get bent of shape if I'm at a restaurant and the veggie burger has an egg in it or something. If that makes sense, haha.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    84.28%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    meat. I've never really cooked it much or enjoyed it at home. These days, I'm working my way back to being mostly vegan, but won't really put the label on myself because I'm not super strict and won't get bent of shape if I'm at a restaurant and the veggie burger has an egg in it or something. If that makes sense, haha.
    You can make pickled things! Also I started making my own hummus, super tasty and cheap. Do you have a good food processor? A good blender or processor has been essential for me since becoming vege.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    59.19%
    Point

One of my FAVOURITE really solid, very comforting cheap veg meals is mejadra. Get yourself some lentils, some rice, spice it up with coriander seed, turmeric, allspice, cinnamon...mix it all up and top with crispy little scraps of fried onion. It’s so more-ish. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    You can make pickled things! Also I started making my own hummus, super tasty and cheap. Do you have a good food processor? A good blender or processor has been essential for me since becoming vege.
    Ooh yes, pickled things are easy. They’ll let you keep using ingredients for MONTHS, too.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%
    I don't have any specific food items but have you checked the "ethnic" or "international" grocery stores near you? The ones here tend to sell stuff at crazy low sales, the only downsides are they tend not to have everything in stock at once. There's a new one near my house that has 3/$1 avocados and 10/$1 bunches of spinach this week but they don't have any zucchini or tomatoes in stock. Or they might have whole chickens for $4 but no beef in stock

I tend to use them only occasionally since I like to meal plan and need to know if ingredients are available but if I just need to cut back on spending or stock up on random produce, I go to them.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Hummus is love, hummus is life. <3

Point

One of my FAVOURITE really solid, very comforting cheap veg meals is mejadra. Get yourself some lentils, some rice, spice it up with coriander seed, turmeric, allspice, cinnamon...mix it all up and top with crispy little scraps of fried onion. It’s so more-ish. I love it.

Ooh yes, pickled things are easy. They’ll let you keep using ingredients for MONTHS, too.
    That sounds great! I love basically any vegetable and fruit. I love to cook and my boyfriend is trying to encourage me to get back into it (he's also trying vegan and wants to profit from my cooking ). I am not a fan of really intense, zillion step recipes but recently made a ton of roasted veg and turned it into a soup, made vegan paninis, pad thai, pizza from scratch, etc. Anything easy, relatively inexpensive, and something I can make batches of is a favorite!
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    59.19%
    Hummus is love, hummus is life. <3

That sounds great! I love basically any vegetable and fruit. I love to cook and my boyfriend is trying to encourage me to get back into it (he's also trying vegan and wants to profit from my cooking ). I am not a fan of really intense, zillion step recipes but recently made a ton of roasted veg and turned it into a soup, made vegan paninis, pad thai, pizza from scratch, etc. Anything easy, relatively inexpensive, and something I can make batches of is a favorite!
    Give me a moment and I’ll run you through the basics of preserving and pickling?
  9. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%
    Give me a moment and I’ll run you through the basics of preserving and pickling?
    Would love it!! My coworker is into canning and making jams from her garden and anything similar sounds so neat!!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    79.88%
    I really love Mango Dal. I replace the fresh mango with frozen Mango which I buy whenever it's on sale and keep around. It also cuts down on the prep work. Indian Mango Dal Recipe - EatingWell

Beyond that, DH and I really enjoy a number of the recipes from Budget Bytes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast