Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meal prep?

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by ZirconDragon View Post
    Are those always hot tasting? They sound like they could be good but I'm not super fond of hot tasting things.
    Not necessarily. They contain a lot of spices, but spice does not always mean heat. It might mean sweetness, or bitterness, or sour, or any number of things. Some curries are very mild, and often sweet if they have something like dried fruit or palm sugar in them. Some can be quite creamy and rich. Some really will nuke your mouth from orbit!

The basic idea of a curry - and this holds true anywhere from Thailand to India to Singapore to Afghanistan, though it's done in different ways in each - is about balance more than pure blasting heat. Blend flavours together so they can support each other and hold each other up, layer them so that they can bring all the best features that they all have out to the front where you notice.

If I can find a curry that a toddler can eat, I'm sure I can think of one for you. For now, order in some Indian takeout and try something like a butter chicken (murgh makhani would be another name) or a vegetable korma. Lots of flavour, but very little heat...and if you really have to you can tame even that little by adding yoghurt
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Freezers are a godsend for this. Knowing how to store things can extend the lifespan a little too.
    Unfortunately I really dislike most thawed food (texture, taste). I'd rather spend time cooking every night
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Not necessarily. They contain a lot of spices, but spice does not always mean heat. It might mean sweetness, or bitterness, or sour, or any number of things. Some curries are very mild, and often sweet if they have something like dried fruit or palm sugar in them. Some can be quite creamy and rich. Some really will nuke your mouth from orbit!

The basic idea of a curry - and this holds true anywhere from Thailand to India to Singapore to Afghanistan, though it's done in different ways in each - is about balance more than pure blasting heat. Blend flavours together so they can support each other and hold each other up, layer them so that they can bring all the best features that they all have out to the front where you notice.

If I can find a curry that a toddler can eat, I'm sure I can think of one for you. For now, order in some Indian takeout and try something like a butter chicken (murgh makhani would be another name) or a vegetable korma. Lots of flavour, but very little heat...and if you really have to you can tame even that little by adding yoghurt
    Hmm this is good news. I don't necessarily mind the taste of spices. I just don't like it when it tastes over hot. I will have to check this out Thank you
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ZirconDragon View Post
    Hmm this is good news. I don't necessarily mind the taste of spices. I just don't like it when it tastes over hot. I will have to check this out Thank you
    De nada.

I've got a thread somewhere over here that may save us hijacking this one entirely...come and have a chat with me, tell me what kind of things you like and don't like (do you like coconut? If the answer is yes, Thai curries may be worth looking at. Do you eat lamb? What veggies don't you like? Those sort of questions) and we can find a few things you can try. You have a baby palate as yet, very sensitive and delicate, but that's no reason for you not to find something you like among the mild ones.

Baby palate isn't meant as an insult, by the way. It just means that for now, until you know what you enjoy, recipes aimed at pleasing kids might be good ones for you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12