Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 197

Thread: Matchbox's Kitchen - Ask The Pro

  1. Senior Member
    sassyspoonicus's Avatar
    sassyspoonicus is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    302
    #91
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    It takes about twenty minutes to half an hour, and is one of those things where a flawless one really is hard, but a decent home one is fairly easy. You would settle for good if you can't get perfect, no? Risotto has the advantage of being something you can use to impress people, because they all think like you just did and expect it to be really hard

    You need
    - Rice, preferably something medium to shortgrain and starchy (arborio or carnaroli work best) at 1/3 cup per person. It can, in a pinch, be done with other rice varieties (though not so well) or with something like risoni that's almost rice-shaped. Barley or lentils also work.
    - Stock, roughly 1 to 1.5 cup per person. Other liquids (beer, white wine) are optional. If you have access to them, try them, if not then don't worry about it.
    - Other ingredients. It doesn't matter what they are. Mushrooms. Leftover rotisserie chicken that you bought from the grocery store and have been picking at ever since. The vegetables at the back of your fridge drawer. Cheese. Experiment as widely as you feel confident doing.

    Fry your misc. items in a little melted butter or margarine, or you can use vegetable oil. Onions, leeks or similar should be cooked until softened, anything else until slightly browned. Use your eyes.

    Add rice and mix it well with the other ingredients.

    Pour in just enough stock/liquid to barely cover the contents of your pan (it should sizzle when it hits). If you're doing it the classically-correct way, you start stirring now and you do not stop. If you're doing it the CHEAT'S way, you turn the heat down a little and don't bother touching it ever. I like the cheat's way

    The rice will absorb most of the liquid...when this happens, add more a little at a time and keep stirring, or cheat and wait for that to absorb too. Keep going until the rice looks soft and creamy. If you're using cheese, grate and add this near the end.
    You are awesome. Hubs kept grumping about how boring our meals were getting (since he had nooooo opinion when I was making the meal plan, just after...), and so I told him to make a meal plan. Neener, neener, right? Nope, he goes and picks things like flippin' risotto. But it worked!!! Thank you!!!

    Now to wait for him to get the new grocery bill from 'his' recipes...lol.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,305
    Blog Entries
    2
    #92
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Thank you!! One more follow up: what’s the best way to reheat leftover steak?
    Is leftover steak like leftover wine? Cause I've heard of both occuring, but like a unicorn, never actually seen it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,297
    #93
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    You are awesome. Hubs kept grumping about how boring our meals were getting (since he had nooooo opinion when I was making the meal plan, just after...), and so I told him to make a meal plan. Neener, neener, right? Nope, he goes and picks things like flippin' risotto. But it worked!!! Thank you!!!

    Now to wait for him to get the new grocery bill from 'his' recipes...lol.
    De nada. It seems more difficult than it is, but in truth mostly it’s just patience and keeping an eye on it. With practice, you’ll get better and better What did you include this time?

    Your husband is a big boy now. If he doesn’t like what you come up with, he can damn well cook his own. That’s what I make mine do - he’s one of the very few people I DO cook for in my own time, but if’s he’s going to bitch about it then he’s big enough and ugly enough to fend for himself!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Senior Member
    sassyspoonicus's Avatar
    sassyspoonicus is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    302
    #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    De nada. It seems more difficult than it is, but in truth mostly it’s just patience and keeping an eye on it. With practice, you’ll get better and better What did you include this time?

    Your husband is a big boy now. If he doesn’t like what you come up with, he can damn well cook his own. That’s what I make mine do - he’s one of the very few people I DO cook for in my own time, but if’s he’s going to bitch about it then he’s big enough and ugly enough to fend for himself!
    I've been taken off that damn food restrictions, so I can eat more than cardboard now, lol. Little bit of red onion, then at the end parm and feta. Made chicken to go with with a marinade with balsamic, lemon, oregano, basil. Was tasty!

    When I leave for a work conference next week, he'll eat pizza for a week. No joke. I've been known before to cook myself dinner, and let him fend for himself when he's being a poop....he made a bag of microwave freezer veggies and ate that. He can however make some mean meals, desserts and all, over an open fire. Just not a stove. He's not allowed to cook steak any longer after he mutilated the last ones.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,297
    #95
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    I've been taken off that damn food restrictions, so I can eat more than cardboard now, lol. Little bit of red onion, then at the end parm and feta. Made chicken to go with with a marinade with balsamic, lemon, oregano, basil. Was tasty!

    When I leave for a work conference next week, he'll eat pizza for a week. No joke. I've been known before to cook myself dinner, and let him fend for himself when he's being a poop....he made a bag of microwave freezer veggies and ate that. He can however make some mean meals, desserts and all, over an open fire. Just not a stove. He's not allowed to cook steak any longer after he mutilated the last ones.
    It always bewilders me to meet people who can’t be trusted near a stove. Fully functional, independent adult men (and it usually IS men; I’ve seen far more men than women who have never tried) who can’t be trusted to throw things in a pan, turn a knob and pay attention for ten whole minutes. Cooking on a stovetop is far, far easier and more predictable than an open fire.

    It’s not rocket science. Being able to feed yourself is the most basic survival skill. And yet somehow, people don’t have it. They never learned as children, and now as adults they’ve thrown the whole concept into the too-hard basket, as though they didn’t have at least a thousand children’s cookbooks (deliberately designed for complete novices...there are some genuinely great cookbooks for kids) and the entire internet at their fingertips to help them figure it out.

    It’s a minor berserk button for me, because barring quite severe disability the very earliest basics to feed yourself are not hard.

    Buy him a kid’s cookbook for Christmas, and make him use it.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #96
    I have a rack of bone-in pork ribs, how should I prepare them for maximum tastiness?
  7. Senior Member
    sassyspoonicus's Avatar
    sassyspoonicus is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    302
    #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    It always bewilders me to meet people who can’t be trusted near a stove. Fully functional, independent adult men (and it usually IS men; I’ve seen far more men than women who have never tried) who can’t be trusted to throw things in a pan, turn a knob and pay attention for ten whole minutes. Cooking on a stovetop is far, far easier and more predictable than an open fire.

    It’s not rocket science. Being able to feed yourself is the most basic survival skill. And yet somehow, people don’t have it. They never learned as children, and now as adults they’ve thrown the whole concept into the too-hard basket, as though they didn’t have at least a thousand children’s cookbooks (deliberately designed for complete novices...there are some genuinely great cookbooks for kids) and the entire internet at their fingertips to help them figure it out.

    It’s a minor berserk button for me, because barring quite severe disability the very earliest basics to feed yourself are not hard.

    Buy him a kid’s cookbook for Christmas, and make him use it.
    Yeah...he gets dragged to the kitchen and 'forced' to help. I think he enjoys it, the goober. Also had to teach him how to do laundry. His mom's lovely, but never let him do any of this while he was at home. Bless his heart, he does actually try. But we'll work on sauteing onions before we go back to steaks, since I don't like shoe leather, lol.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  8. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    It always bewilders me to meet people who canít be trusted near a stove. Fully functional, independent adult men (and it usually IS men; Iíve seen far more men than women who have never tried) who canít be trusted to throw things in a pan, turn a knob and pay attention for ten whole minutes. Cooking on a stovetop is far, far easier and more predictable than an open fire.

    Itís not rocket science. Being able to feed yourself is the most basic survival skill. And yet somehow, people donít have it. They never learned as children, and now as adults theyíve thrown the whole concept into the too-hard basket, as though they didnít have at least a thousand childrenís cookbooks (deliberately designed for complete novices...there are some genuinely great cookbooks for kids) and the entire internet at their fingertips to help them figure it out.

    Itís a minor berserk button for me, because barring quite severe disability the very earliest basics to feed yourself are not hard.

    Buy him a kidís cookbook for Christmas, and make him use it.
    my bf (a firefighter) threw melted butter into a very hot pan last night and started a grease fire
  9. Senior Member
    kt_bug's Avatar
    kt_bug is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    521
    #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    my bf (a firefighter) threw melted butter into a very hot pan last night and started a grease fire
    DB’s buddies were trying to cook a steak (on a grill I believe) and doused it in lighter fluid for some reason I cannot explain nor imagine.
  10. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I have a rack of bone-in pork ribs, how should I prepare them for maximum tastiness?
    I always slow roast in the oven at 250 for a couple hours with a dry rub, then slap them on the grill for a few minutes to get a bit of char.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •